Holly Holm was supposed to be the best boxer in UFC. What do you make of this fight?

What do you think of this?

• Total voters
Shevshenko is simply the better striker. I really don't understand why people were sleeping on her, I sure as hell wasn't. She's a highly decorated striker.

Well Nunes is the champ now, and if their first fight had of been 5 rounds Valentina would have won. I'd be fine with her getting a title shot right away seeing as she would be the favourite.

i would not mind this as well but considering penna is likely next in line...but who knows ?

Holm discovered why Valentina is called the Bullet. As they say, speed kills.

too many miles on her and I believe Rhonda would beat her a second time

Anyone who's watched Holly's boxing career knows she won fights on physical attributes like attrition, pace, toughness, cardio, output etc. Her technique was always mediocre and she backpedaled when she got in trouble to her bike. She mostly fought shit boxers in boxing seriously look at the record of most them,the only decent boxer she fought she was 1-1 with and got KTFO and thru 2 fights she was the inferior fighter.

Women's boxing is garbage, Holm's boxing was overrated and Valentina is far more technical and the superior overall fighter

This, Holly's boxing career involved fighting very very average women and never leaving new Mexico.

Her initial ufc fights were poor, and she's looked poor post Rousey.

She is wmma's Buster Douglas

I didn't like any of the choices..Holm s timidity has made her look like mediocrity.The Rousey fight is her one exception and thats because styles make fights.Ronda just comes right at you and tries to get u on the ground to set up her arm bar.Holm just had to counter and with her length and boxing pedigree, it gave Rousey fits.Holm is strong and has strong base and was coached well for that fight because the few times Ronda did get a hold of her, Holm was able to shake her off.The action came to Holly and she handled her business.

Her other 4 fights.....they all looked the same.She never committed to any type of aggression----none, nada

Holly Holm was supposed to be the best boxer in UFC, if you look at her boxing career.(She was world boxing champ)

However, she was getting outboxed and counterpunched on her face throughout 5 rounds, and had no answer for it.
She may very well be the best "pure boxer"... but she got boxed up for several reasonz. Kicks, clinch, & takedowns.

Obviously Holly's kicks are great. Val'z are better.
The threat of clinch & takedowns changez everything. That's what separates MMA striking from kickboxing or regular boxing. Just like Brock's threat of takedown stopped Hunt dead in hiz trax & made him timid.

Val just had her number. She will adjust & come back stronger for the situation. She'z only 34 yearz old.

Holm is the same fighter she was before the Rousey fight. I like her but she's been massively overrated ever since Rousey wrongly thought she was a striker.

Ronda's boxing was just so shit that Holly looked like a master boxer by comparison

Ronda is ultra screwed if she ever comes back

If you've seen any of Holly's boxing matches you'd know that she doesn't really have great boxing technique.

She got by with her high volume and great conditioning to outwork her opponents.

now i want schevchenko vs de randamie

by the way de randamie might be a bad match up for holm as well

I wish Cat would have beat Pena. I would like to see Cat throw Vs little ass around.

She hasn't used much boxing at all since she's transitioned to mma. She's used her kicks much more than her hands, boxing is a much different sport and I wish ppl would understand that. If she came at Shevchenko with a boxing stance she would have gotten finished tn.
I mean I'm not saying you're wrong but you'd still expect a certain set of skills and understanding of striking from a high level boxer.
Nothing against Holly, I love her personality but yesterday she got caught with the same punch in the same situation like 10 times in a row.
Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, you'd expect a world class boxer and kickboxer to find some quick adjustment.
Same with this 'she's more a counterstriker' talk, I mean that may be the case, at the same time you'd also expect a high class boxer with kickboxing experience and 10+ MMA fights to have some more ways to find her way in, in parts of the fight she looked completely helples as the aggressor.
Not even talking about success but at least the attempt to use some more tools or approaches.

Btw Amanda Nunes did pretty good vs Valentina, even in the stand up before she gassed out like always

I didn't like any of the choices..Holm s timidity has made her look like mediocrity.The Rousey fight is her one exception and thats because styles make fights.Ronda just comes right at you and tries to get u on the ground to set up her arm bar.Holm just had to counter and with her length and boxing pedigree, it gave Rousey fits.Holm is strong and has strong base and was coached well for that fight because the few times Ronda did get a hold of her, Holm was able to shake her off.The action came to Holly and she handled her business.

Her other 4 fights.....they all looked the same.She never committed to any type of aggression----none, nada

...are we still pushing the fantasy that Rousey was focused on trying to take Holly down rather than KOing her? I would have thought that died out after the fight with Tate?

Of course even after the Ronda fight the typical boneheaded US nationalism about the superiority of boxing was nonsense as Holm was actually a kickboxer who moved to boxing and exposed how weak the womans sport is. The relative strength of female kickboxing has just been made clear by an opponent who can't be labled as a boxer.

Holly didn't do a good enough job giving the counter puncher bait in order to get her to leave an opening. She is more comfortable as a counter striker. Walking into a counter striker on a straight line is amateurish. Jackson kept telling Holly to get closer but couldn't or didn't explain to her how. That was an ugly performance all around.

I honestly think Shevchenko would beat her in straight up boxing to be honest. She beat her with basic timing and distance control, despite being the shorter fighter. I don't think Holm was any less timid than she usually is.

Valentina was simply on point tonight. Holm did what she usually does, she is a good and technical kickboxer but also a bit predictable (especially with those sounds). Valentina punished her every time she tried to engage, that lead hook was fast and precise the entire fight. Holm faced a true counter striker in mma for the first time and got defeated, but she is still very good, she will climb her way again

The sounds don't really make her predictable. She intentionally uses them when she feints to sell her strikes better. If anything, they help her become less predictable.

Back