Holloway vs Poirier; one of the worst selling PPVs of all time, why?

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/57504-ufc-236

UFC 236 only sold 100k PPV buys, making it the worst male headlined PPV since 2005.

This was Max Holloway going for a second belt on 13 fight win streak after dominant showings in featherweight title defenses, and Dustin was on a fairly dominant streak himself putting on just bleed fights with Eddie and Justin.

Why didn’t anyone care about this fight? How was it one of the worst PPVs of all time? Why did no one buy it?

conor-mcgregor-dustin-poirier.gif

I don’t know. Never cared but I guess the answer is neither of them were considered stars at that point.

With Holloway it's tricky because he’s beloved among hardcores and Hawaiians but other than that it's dry.

Didn't think Holloway had any chance at winning. Also I believe the outcome was that the fighter would fight Khabib. Didn't think either person deserved to fight Khabib.

The main reason is probably because it was the first ESPN+ PPV.

Having Eryk Anders vs Khalil Roundtree and Dwight Grant vs Alan Jouban on the main card probably didn’t help much either.
Izzy vs gashole was the comain and Izzy wasn't a star yet either. It was a whole disaster bc of the poor execution of the even not bc of Dustin and max. Being the first ESPN card was doomed.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/57504-ufc-236

UFC 236 only sold 100k PPV buys, making it the worst male headlined PPV since 2005.

This was Max Holloway going for a second belt on 13 fight win streak after dominant showings in featherweight title defenses, and Dustin was on a fairly dominant streak himself putting on just bleed fights with Eddie and Justin.

Why didn’t anyone care about this fight? How was it one of the worst PPVs of all time? Why did no one buy it?

We have absolutely no idea how many PPV buys this event did.

The "source" is Dave Meltzer, which had some credibility back in the cable/satellite PPV days.

UFC 236 was run after ESPN+ took over the entire UFC PPV business. Nobody outside ESPN/UFC have any idea how many buys were made.

I'd also add, whatever buys this landed, it would be negatively affected by being newly behind a double paywall.

Imagine being a grown ass man and caring so much about this that you post about to 10000 years later. Imagine. Who the fuck cares is the question. Why do you fucking care?
Imagine being on a forum where this type of shit is discussed and talking down to another human being for discussing it.

I'll keep this simple. Did you buy it, TS? And if the answer is no (which it likely is), just ask yourself why you didn't. There you go.

Cause believe it or not, but the fans occasionally do see through the UFC's attempts at blatant fake bullshit. Khabib was only suspended over the crowd brawl and perfectly capable of returning in a few more months, Poirier wasn't Tony, and Holloway wasn't a LW.

Poirier vs Holloway in no way deserved to be an interim title fight and so people didn't buy it.

Back