Hip Replacement at 39

Shit at 32 I had a hip labrum repair done which sucked on recovery. Good luck

Dang. Been favoring one hip recently, thinking of having some tests done if my insurance covers it. Hope I don't have a dead hip. A friend's father just had his hip replaced, shits brutal...

Dang. Been favoring one hip recently, thinking of having some tests done if my insurance covers it. Hope I don't have a dead hip. A friend's father just had his hip replaced, shits brutal...
Don't trip too hard on it. Might just be impingement or something. Necrosis is rare. All my drinking probably didn't help either.

So i previously made a thread about "Sharp hip flexor pain.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/sharp-hip-flexor-pain.4021023/

Turned out I had Avascular Necrosis of my hip joint. Basically the ball that goes into the socket is dead.

They tried Core Decompression at the VA but it didn't work so now I gotta get a full on Hip replacement.

Anyone here an old fuck like me and had to get a hip replacement? Man it sucks Cuz I'm only 39 and don't these things have to be replaced every 15 years or something?

Asking cuz Sherdog>Actual Surgeons.
Man, that's really unfortunate. You're so young to have to go through this. If you do have to have the surgery I hope you make a full & fast recovery.
I've got osteoarthritis in both hips especially my left from my years in martial arts & kickboxing. I was born with narrow hips to begin with but throwing all those high kicks over the years just did a number on my hip joints. The doctors told me that I'll eventually have to have a replacement on my left at the very least but I'm putting it off for as long as possible. It's not close to being debilitating yet but I do need a daily dose of Vicodin to get by between my hip, my lower back, neck & right knee. My fighting career really did a number on me.
Have they said what caused your injury?

Man, that's really unfortunate. You're so young to have to go through this. If you do have to have the surgery I hope you make a full & fast recovery.
I've got osteoarthritis in both hips especially my left from my years in martial arts & kickboxing. I was born with narrow hips to begin with but throwing all those high kicks over the years just did a number on my hip joints. The doctors told me that I'll eventually have to have a replacement on my left at the very least but I'm putting it off for as long as possible. It's not close to being debilitating yet but I do need a daily dose of Vicodin to get by between my hip, my lower back, neck & right knee. My fighting career really did a number on me.
Have they said what caused your injury?
It's a number of things they aren't quite clear on what causes it. Somehow the blood supply to the ball joint got cut off and it killed the cartilage.

Alcohol use.
Wear and tear
Other unknown reasons

I'm not old but just want to give some early advice of going easy on the pain meds. Dont take them just because you got em, try to ride out the pain as long as you can with tylenol and use the opioids as a last resort

I'm not old but just want to give some early advice of going easy on the pain meds. Dont take them just because you got em, try to ride out the pain as long as you can with tylenol and use the opioids as a last resort

Why would you take Tylenol for pain. Generally people take an Aspirin. I only took Tylenol when l was sick or had a fever when I was a kid

I never took one just for a sore or pain

so you're shooting blanks?
THAT ball works just fine thank you very much!
Cept now I have to dead fish it and let them ride tho. Fucking boring

Turned out I had Avascular Necrosis of my hip joint. Basically the ball that goes into the socket is dead.

They tried Core Decompression at the VA but it didn't work so now I gotta get a full on Hip replacement.

Anyone here an old fuck like me and had to get a hip replacement? Man it sucks Cuz I'm only 39 and don't these things have to be replaced every 15 years or something?

Big Nog got one done around the same age, late 30s.

He said afterwards it was one of the best decisions he ever made. He realized it wasn't just the pain but his mobility in that hip and range of motion had been limited for years.

The joints last longer now and they have parts in them that they can replace.

I haven't had a hip replaced but I've had both knees replaced. I know several people who have had hip replacements and did very well. Others, especially those who smoke, take much longer to heal. I don't know about having the military doctors do it. The doctor that did my knee replacements does 12 in the average week. Always a good idea to check on the surgeon.

The joints last longer now and they have parts in them that they can replace.

I haven't had a hip replaced but I've had both knees replaced. I know several people who have had hip replacements and did very well. Others, especially those who smoke, take much longer to heal. I don't know about having the military doctors do it. The doctor that did my knee replacements does 12 in the average week. Always a good idea to check on the surgeon.
Yeah I smoke and they were saying something about not even wanting to do the surgery if I do. So I have to quit before it happens because the VA. Being sneaky bastards that they are, do blood tests to check for nicotine use.

Plus the VA probably does lowest bidder replacements like the Army low bids for our damn equipment. Lol I didn't think about that part.

My coworker had a hip replacement at around the same age. He said it took a while but he's good as new and does rock climbing a few times a week

That’s rough Sherbro. I know people who have had it done and they are much better. Take the PT afterwards seriously. Double or triple it. It’s worth it.

go get em tiger!

My wife just told me her boss just had hip replacement surgery (He's in his late 70's) and he said it was a breeze. He was only out of work for a total of 2 days. Hope yours goes as well, sorry you've got this issue at your age.

Makes sense - at 70 I’d be rushing out of the hospital too. That’s where people die ffs!

Back