• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HIGH ON LIFE by Justin Roiland (co-creator of Rick and Morty)

I'm playing on a One S, and it's totally fine. My standards aren't too high, but if it's playable on last gen, I can only assume that people are nitpicking the shit out of it on current gen hardware. I can't imagine that there are any issues that would stop anyone from enjoying it.

Anyways, I had very low expectations going in, but two bounties down, and I gotta say, this game is fucking great. The combat ain't special,but it gets the job done(although, the knife is stupidly overpowered). That's not really the hook, though. Much like the GOTG game, this game excels in making you feel like you're just walking around and playing a character in it's world. The dialogue is never ending, and really breathes life into the whole thing. You just sometimes have to stop and take it all in. Simply standing around and listening to the banter between NPC's, is entertaining enough, and there's a damn decent game behind it all.
I remember being turned off by the chatter of the gun when I first saw this demo'd at E3 or something, but it's just really well done.

Humor is rarely done well in games, but these guys do that well, while also, like you said, bring the world to life. Coupled with a decent little shooter/platforming, what a pleasant surprise.

BTW, I'm playing on PC/gamepass, I have no issues whatsoever.

Anyways, I had very low expectations going in, but two bounties down, and I gotta say, this game is fucking great. The combat ain't special,but it gets the job done(although, the knife is stupidly overpowered). That's not really the hook, though. Much like the GOTG game, this game excels in making you feel like you're just walking around and playing a character in it's world. The dialogue is never ending, and really breathes life into the whole thing. You just sometimes have to stop and take it all in. Simply standing around and listening to the banter between NPC's, is entertaining enough, and there's a damn decent game behind it all.
That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. The shooting is ho-hum as hell (to put it mildly), but when the world and characters are so bizarre and hilarious it's easy to give that a pass. I really like the Metroidvania-esque level design as well. There are collectibles everywhere, and it's always rewarding seeing something and not being able to reach it, only to acquire a special weapon/gadget later on and have a light bulb go off in your head ("Hey, I can get there now!").

It won't be winning any GOTY awards anytime soon, but I'm having a blast with it. It's almost like someone took the crudeness of Conker's Bad Fur Day, the bounty-hunting/living weapons aspects of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and then blended them together with... Borderlands? I can't say I've ever played anything quite like it before.

4 bounties down, seriously fun little game. Funny in parts and the boss fights are better than nearly any other FPS I can name which is a shock.

I'm really liking the game, love the rick and Morty humor of it. Would have loved hardest mode to just be a little more difficult than it is, but I still very early so maybe it's too soon for me to say. I'm really glad I stuck around after my first bounty and got the slide upgrade. I finally feel like I have great mobility. looking forward to my second bounty.

Is there a leveling up system or talent tree in this game?

Does gamepass function the same as EGS and Sony where once you "get" the free game you have access to download the game at any time?

Does gamepass function the same as EGS and Sony where once you "get" the free game you have access to download the game at any time?
It's not like Epic Game giveaways in that you permanently own it.

But yes, it is like the new Sony PS+ subscription plans. They copied the Game Pass model. You can download it whenever you want so long as you are subscribed, and High on Life is in rotation. You can also play High on Life via the Gaming Cloud if you don't want to be bothered with downloading it (but only on controller).

i was hesitant to pay $90 for this, thanks for the game pass tip. $1 is a bargain.

Would you pay full price for this game?

4 bounties down, seriously fun little game. Funny in parts and the boss fights are better than nearly any other FPS I can name which is a shock.
What should I get from the pawn shop. I got the dodge and the slide so far.

Would you pay full price for this game?

Just on the surface, it offers as much content as most other games that aren't RPG's, so in that regard, sure. It's not a bargain bin pile of shit that is parading around as a full priced game, or anything. Standard campaign length, with a bunch of extra content and secrets to uncover.

After that, you kind of have to decide for yourself if it's a game you're interested in. It's on Game Pass though, so if you have access to that, that would be the best route to go.

What should I get from the pawn shop. I got the dodge and the slide so far.
You will have enough money to get everything so dont stress bout that.

The slide is super handy though.

This game is ridiculous. I had some dinner preparing when I fired this up. You can watch a movie in game, so when my dinner was ready, I started watching it while eating.

I've literally spent a half hour watching Tammy and the T-Rex in the living room with Gene the bounty Hunter and our sister, wtf is happening here lmao

Young me fondly remembers 20 year old Denise Richards in this...
tammy-and-the-trex-denise-richards.gif

they have 4 full movies. Tho I've only come a crossed the one in the vid and 1987 slasher/horror called blood harvest
Have you bought the Movie Theater warp disc from the cook?

There's an entire showing of Demon Wind with three aliens in the theater's first row doing a Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary for the whole thing. I watched the first 20 minutes or so. It was as funny as the best MST3000 commentaries.

Fun game I'd give it a 7.5/10. Felt a tad bit short. Gamepass it for sure.

High On Life sets Xbox Game Pass records as ‘biggest 2022 launch’
Polygon said:
Squanch Games’ silly sci-fi shooter High On Life is not only the most popular game on Game Pass right now, it’s the biggest Game Pass release of 2022 and the biggest third-party launch in Game Pass history, according to Microsoft. Not content with just two records, High On Life is also the “biggest single-player game launch on Game Pass ever,” based on “the number of hours played in the first five days of release,” Microsoft says.

As of Monday, Squanch Games’ new Xbox and Windows PC release was the most popular game on Game Pass, outpacing other titles on the service like Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Minecraft, FIFA 22, Forza Horizon 5, Rainbow Six Siege, and Halo Infinite on console and PC. That’s an impressive feat for a game independently published through Microsoft’s ID@Xbox program...

Reactions: hsz
reminds me of strangers wrath

If only they made it to an open world rpg like Skyrim or Fallout 4

Have you bought the Movie Theater warp disc from the cook?

There's an entire showing of Demon Wind with three aliens in the theater's first row doing a Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary for the whole thing. I watched the first 20 minutes or so. It was as funny as the best MST3000 commentaries.

It's the first one I bought but I don't know how to use it.

Back