Hereditary (2018)

Did you guys get that the daughter was actually the demon the entire time?

I think my favorite part about the film was the way the miniatures were symbolic of the family and how they were incorporated into scenes. It's a very well made/detailed film, but it's not great.

Watching this after work tonight. can not fucking wait

Watched both movies last night.

Upgrade - Fun movie. John Wick meets Ex Machina. It's low budget but done very well. 7.5/10

Hereditary - One of the best horror movies I've ever seen. The people talking shit just didnt understand it. 9.5/10

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I went in with high expectations even. Stuck with me for a couple weeks after. 10/10

Anyone notice the texts between Peter and his friend while they were in class? His friend texted him about his shaved pubes and Peter told him to text a pic. His friend later texted him to come to the party and to bring his dick. I was convinced they were gay since Peter has zero humor, but then it shows Peter hitting on that chick sitting in front of him. Weird scene.

There was another thread talking about how bad this movie was and urging people to avoid it. I spoiled it for myself later and really regretted not watching it, seemed like a good horror which is rare. Even weirder is that I had an intensely vivid nightmare a few years ago that was disturbingly similar to the film's main antagonist. Really trippy looking in to that stuff afterwards.

Hereditary was really a slow burn and kinda silly with a story that could be <struc+ured> better. Though gotta say visually and overall filmography was excellent. And anyone claiming how great it was and we just didnt "understand"it is full of shit.

Hereditary - One of the best horror movies I've ever seen. The people talking shit just didnt understand it. 9.5/10
Gotta love when you get these people who say those who didn't like a particular movie didn't understand it.

You're not that smart, buddy. People have different taste.

Both are definitely my favourites so far this year.

Hereditary is the best horror film in years imo.

Gotta love when you get these people who say those who didn't like a particular movie didn't understand it.

You're not that smart, buddy. People have different taste.

My reply was to the previous posts where people disliked it and their reasons were incorrect, based on their misunderstanding of the actual plot. If you don't like a movie, that's perfectly fine. When you say you hate a movie and your reasoning shows that you didn't understand it, then I have to reply.

was upgrade the way better version of that shitty sam worthington movie?

It's actually the better version of Venom- or at least I'll assume it is until proven otherwise because it will be tough to beat lol.

It even has the American Tom Hardy, Logan Marshall Green...

Awesome film.

If Toni Collette does not get an Academy Award nomination, the system is wrong. In fact, I'd find it difficult to, thus far, find a more obvious contender. Granted, awards season hasn't really ushered in yet but that was one of the more visceral, emotional, and challenging roles/performances I've seen in a long time. She should be greatly applauded for it.

Additionally, the whole family was great. Alex Wolff- I've heard some people say his emotionality during the seance scene was over the top, but I thought overall he was terrific. The dinner scene where he and his mom have words is ridiculously incisive and impacting. That could have been right out of a straight up family drama like Ordinary People rather than a horror film.

And his nonverbal acting in an absolutely critical scene, arguably the film's most horrifically memorable scene, is something else.

Hereditary to me was one of those rare films that met and exceeded the hype, a true masterpiece. Toni Collette should get some sort of award recognition for her performance.

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I went in with high expectations even. Stuck with me for a couple weeks after. 10/10

I couldn't shake it from my mind for the remainder of the weekend that I saw it. Then when I finally did, I stupidly watched some great video breakdowns of the film on youtube that made it stick with me longer. It is one of the most messed up horror films I've ever seen. Very unsettling and disturbing.

Aforementioned dinner scene,

when Collette just starts to lose it and talks about how she has to "fucking look at that fucking look on his face," and how she knows he must feel guilty but he doesn't express it so they can't even heal as a family. And then Wolff just stops and goes, "and what about you, Mom? Charly said she didn't want to go to the party. So why was she there?" That shit cut like glass.

Thoughts on part of the movie,

The movie got real interesting when the woman started checking old photos of her mother's marriage and discovered that the lady who attended the meetings with her appeared in the photos with her mother. Both wearing some sort of necklace.

That explained why her mother was estranged with her and why she was having demetia and all before she died. She was probably involved in all of that stuff.

I expected the woman to go after the lady at the meetings and all but that didn't happen. Eventually everything led to that abortion of an ending.

Seriously, what did the director think? The headless corpse praying in front of the teenager. Shit was ridiculous.
Shit was great. You dont like bad endings that are disturbing.

I liked this movie a lot, but there were some talking points in it that didnt fit. Like the allergy to nuts, the father getting flamed, the boy getting his ass kicked by himself.

Thoughts on part of the movie,

The movie got real interesting when the woman started checking old photos of her mother's marriage and discovered that the lady who attended the meetings with her appeared in the photos with her mother. Both wearing some sort of necklace.

That explained why her mother was estranged with her and why she was having demetia and all before she died. She was probably involved in all of that stuff.

I expected the woman to go after the lady at the meetings and all but that didn't happen. Eventually everything led to that abortion of an ending.

Seriously, what did the director think? The headless corpse praying in front of the teenager. Shit was ridiculous.

Her mother put the demon in the daughter. That's why the little girl was so weird. And that's why she regretted giving her mother access to her daughter. Then when the girl died the cult members manipulated the mother into letting the demon possess the son.

Just downloaded Hereditary and will watch in my theater after we get back from vaca.

We did watch Upgrade in my theater before we left for vaca, and we LOVED it. Way better than I expected.

Do you have a theatre? Or a theater?

I liked this movie a lot, but there were some talking points in it that didnt fit. Like the allergy to nuts, the father getting flamed, the boy getting his ass kicked by himself.

The nut allergy is what leads to the car crash. The boy was in the process of getting possessed. The fire is just demonic shit, at that point the whole family is cursed.

Back