Henry Cejudo called out as racist by Karin Bryant, Luke Thomas and MMA twitter sphere

as a latino guy myself from southamerica, I find "ugly communist potato" and "the cabbage patch head Jose Waldo" more offensive, I mean the guy is black and his name is similar, so what?
I dont think that has sparked rage or hatred among the afro american communities as the taco thing among mexicans, if you´re gonna judge on things at least be honest and call out Sterling as well, mexicans have been stereotyped a lot as second class citizens and as cheap working class, so I dont see the problem here;
as dumb and out of place in a MMA enviroment as Cejudo´s comments are, bc I dont see the point in calling out fighters that way, to me it looks really stupid, but not racist, among A level martial artists calling someone "ugly" is as stupid as calling the other "midget" or "taco eater"

Cejudo is so cringe he probably doesn't even know.

I got no issue with him having a tune up fight especially coming off surgery, but don't step on your message by playing up bravado and saying that they're all tune up fights. If you that badass jump right in it and f*k the tune up and fight a real fight...
A tune up fight means NOT defending against the next contender though. You cool with that though? It means top contenders get left out in the cold because the champ got hurt.

Dear clueless sherbredren. Calling a Black person Aunt Jemima outside of your safe bubble in Mom's basement with a keyboard would cause you to be in a bad situation and quite possibly fucked up. That is all
Hispanics can say the n word though

Translation: "If you don't understand why this is racist, then you are a racist."

Yes, the position "If I don't understand why this is racist, then it's not racist." is clearly much more reasonable.

I mean... I had no idea this was some sort of racist stereotype, nor do I think most non-black people of my generation do. Plus he’s calling a grown man that to make fun of his name and image... I don’t see any racist motivation, I mean the guy is black. I can understand if it’s out of line, hopefully this doesn’t produce some crazy unnecessary meltdown.

He is calling Yan a communist potato on the same post... I honestly think it’s mildly humorous, albeit somewhat childish and stupid. Colby gets to call a country “you filthy animals suck” and then wear a maga hat (all of which has obvious political, xenophobic connotations) and then gets defended and praised by many (including Rogan) because he’s “playing a character”, although the guy is obviously an asshole. So what do people expect. Henry should just tweet a simple apology saying “I just found Aljo girly and old so it seemed to fit, but I didn’t know the historical connotations, I apologize, my bad” and move on.
If you didnt know now it is highly racist now you know. That's respectable to apologize. However now that people are made aware look at the response on here when someone made Cejudo aware that it is racist. Then you wonder why people frown on mma's racist fanbase

no the fuck it isnt. jesus fuck people are way to sensitive. yeah henrys mexican-american ass is racist.

let me guess he cant call him kid n play either or thats racist?

perfect response by Aljo too. btw im mixed, puertorican,african,irish. race crybabies are worse than a light hearted racial joke.
No I hate to waste time trying to educate you but it is highly racist and would get you probably fired from any reputable job and you most certainly would be in a bad position saying it around Black people

No I hate to waste time trying to educate you but it is highly racist and would get you probably fired from any reputable job and you most certainly would be in a bad position saying it around Black people
a joke playing on race isnt racist. it can be but it dosnt mean it is. aljos respone is perfect and there will be 0 outrage from mexicans about it. because nothing said puts down one race and holds up another.

also count in the fact hes trying to call aljo soft refering to him as a woman and also playing on the name. sorry, but acting like henry is in anyway throwing shade at blacks is reaching.

If it was an African American calling Sterling "Aljamima", it would have been okay.

By the same token, latino and white athletes should not use certain words, but African American athletes like Platinum Mike Perry get the pass.

Unfair ? Maybe. But that's how the world works. Get used to it sherbros.

Is it like the US equivalent of Gollywogs or something? If you and Karyn Bryant are calling it racist I'm happy to accept it's racist, but I'm British so I don't really understand the connotations of this one.
It is identical to gollywog for context friend. Only the US has probably even more of a dark history of racism so it is arguably more offensive. I respect not understanding and asking for clarity. Good post

a joke playing on race isnt racist. it can be but it dosnt mean it is. aljos respone is perfect and there will be 0 outrage from mexicans about it. because nothing said puts down one race and holds up another.

also count in the fact hes trying to call aljo soft refering to him as a woman and also playing on the name. sorry acting like henry is in anyway throwing shade at blacks is reaching.
I said what I said. Please feel free to go to a group of Black people and call them Aunt Jemima and ask if anyone deems it racist. This isnt me debating with you. This is me educating you. You either take that knowledge and do better or you dont

Sherdog never fails it doesn't matter what it is it's always not racist according to them google is your friend search the history of anunt jemima as it relates to black people then come back and talk and post memes.
Straight like that

A tune up fight means NOT defending against the next contender though. You cool with that though? It means top contenders get left out in the cold because the champ got hurt.

I don't believe it should be for a belt a tune up or get a full 100 and fight. Aldo's choice if he wants to fight with no belt on the line and be graded as just a tune up make Al & Yan fight for a interim in the meantime guaranteeing (Although that's no guarantee in the new UFC) one will get the next shot or just scrap the interim bullsh!t and get right to it as Champ. I'm not a fan of the interim but as a Champ I want to acknowledge your position and give you choice.

I said what I said. Please feel free to go to a group of Black people and call them Aunt Jemima and ask if anyone seems it racist. This isnt me debating with you. This is me educating you. You either take that knowledge and do better or you dont
he didnt walk up to a radom person and call him that.

Tbf Sterling referred to Cejudo as soft shelled tacos - so they both said racist things. I can’t stand Cejudo but it’s unfair to single him out here
If Sterling said that he shouldn't have and should apologize. Racial taunting is not socially acceptable outside of comedians and you had better be DAMN FUNNY

he didnt walk up to a radom person and call him that.
Then putting it out in particular on a public forum is a terrible look and he should heed the advice of Karyn and not do it.

Earlier today Cejudo referred to top Bantamweight contender Aljamain Sterling as “Aljamima” and sparked a bit of controversy in the process.

“Triple C doesn’t even pay attention to Aljamima Sterling,” Cejudo wrote. “Secondly, Triple C wants to fight you Petr, but your English needs to get Betr, you ugly communist potato. And last but not least, my tune-up fight, the cabbage patch head Jose Waldo.”

Aunt Jemina is a brand of maple syrup that has a black woman on their logo:
aunt-jemima-pancake-syrupxarope-panqueca-waffle-710g-D_NQ_NP_961066-MLB31850655355_082019-F.jpg

Besides that, Cejudo constantly uses the black person emoji on twitter whenever addressing Sterling.

Luke Thomas also chimed in:

Many other people also took issue with Cejudos comments:

Sources:
https://www.mmamania.com/2020/2/18/...ljamain-sterling-ufc-espn-racism-bantamweight

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/...ejudo-racist-tweet-aljamima-sterling-mma-news

I'm black and I see nothing wrong with what he said. It was an obvious play off of his name. There was no real mean intent there. Just trying to be funny.

Back