Henry Cejudo called out as racist by Karin Bryant, Luke Thomas and MMA twitter sphere

People in the media get jaded because of working in that field where they're basically under surveillance or surveying others for some "racist news", so their reactions get skewed.

The line is very simple. If you use a known racist slur that's racist behavior. If you use characteristics common to a group it's not. Otherwise everything is bigotry.

Mate, how is Henry supposed to know the history behind a maple syrup's logo? He turned Aljo's name feminine and he's being called out for it? I REALLY doubt Cejudo was making a refence to that woman. If he was, it's fucked up, okay. But how many people even know the story behind that? What are the odds? It just seems very unlikely that Cejudo was looking that far. He also said "Aljamina" not even "Aljemina" which he could have, and be more obvious. But he didnt. To me it looks like he just did a school yard joke of turning a name girly and now he's getting shit for it. I could be completely wrong tho. And if he was indeed making a reference to that woman, then its definitly fucked up.
Yeah Americas history of slavery and racism isn't a big secret to Americans. They LITERALLY teach you this stuff in grade school here. Short of being a complete idiot, there is no way the average person doesn't know all of this. It would be like saying you've never heard of WW2 or the moon landing.

While what Cejudo said was ridiculously ignorant and it was fine for Bryant to point it out, I am willing to bet she did not say a word when Sterling made his equally ignorant comment about Cejudo.

Funny how that works.
What did Sterling say?

I like Aljo, but that was funny.

Did not all these same people call Conor a leprechaun?

Also triple c got called a soft shell Taco, which was hilarious.
Yan got called a potato, also hilarious.
But Aljo can't be named after a bottle of syrup? I didn't know there was a master race that was above reproach? I thought we were all equal?

1. Arjaming used racist taco shit but no one seems to care because no one gives a fuck about mexicans.
2. is an obvious play on his name, I doubt Henry had racist intentions and honestly, as a non american I didn't even know that was a thing, that is still the biggest Syrop brand worldwide and at least here still has the black lady logo.

Mate, how is Henry supposed to know the history behind a maple syrup's logo? He turned Aljo's name feminine and he's being called out for it? I REALLY doubt Cejudo was making a refence to that woman. If he was, it's fucked up, okay. But how many people even know the story behind that? What are the odds? It just seems very unlikely that Cejudo was looking that far. He also said "Aljamina" not even "Aljemina" which he could have, and be more obvious. But he didnt. To me it looks like he just did a school yard joke of turning a name girly and now he's getting shit for it. I could be completely wrong tho. And if he was indeed making a reference to that woman, then its definitly fucked up.

EDIT : I'm not American, legit have no idea how popular that story is. Don't give me shit for this
If you're not from America, and you haven't studied this part of American History, you're right - it makes sense that you wouldn't get the reference. But, if you're from America, graduated high school, or took any history class that covered Slavery, Civil Rights, and what African Americans went through after Slavery and the Civil war it's pretty common knowledge. It's not some hidden secret, it's a well known part of American history. And spelling it Aljamina instead of Aljemina doesn't help. That would be like calling someone Hitlar and then claiming "I didn't even spell it Hitler how can you be upset?" - he picked a very specific famous African American to reference, who has a very specific controversial history. Most people who understand the reference and dont think there's anything wrong with it are the same people who think Blackface wasn't and still isn't racist.

Yeah Americas history of slavery and racism isn't a big secret to Americans. They LITERALLY teach you this stuff in grade school here. Short of being a complete idiot, there is no way the average person doesn't know all of this. It would be like saying you've never heard of WW2 or the moon landing.

If you're not from America, and you haven't studied this part of American History, you're right - it makes sense that you wouldn't get the reference. But, if you're from America, graduated high school, or took any history class that covered Slavery, Civil Rights, and what African Americans went through after Slavery and the Civil war it's pretty common knowledge. It's not some hidden secret, it's a well known part of American history. And spelling it Aljamina instead of Aljemina doesn't help. That would be like calling someone Hitlar and then claiming "I didn't even spell it Hitler how can you be upset?" - he picked a very specific famous African American to reference, who has a very specific controversial history. Most people who understand the reference and dont think there's anything wrong with it are the same people who think Blackface wasn't and still isn't racist.

Well my bad, definitly fucked up

I am black, and I chuckled at Aljemima. Come the fuck on

both in the wrong

yet only one gets the victim crowd to rise up

Well my bad, definitly fucked up
Tbh it's an interesting conversation to have because there's so many Americans here I kind of forget how diverse it is here. It's a fair point that to someone not intimately familiar with our culture, this seems quite harmless and like people are just being cry babies. And with modern pc culture there's a hell of a lot of that going on here.

But this was a very specific comment Cejudo made here. He knew exactly what he was doing. You have to be either racist or incredibly tone deaf to make comments like that having grown up here.

FWIW I don't think he's a racist he's just a vanilla dude trying to stir up drama. But the intent was definitely to provoke anger and controversy.

I truly hope that this whole PC and virtue signalling BS never takes hold of mma. Reporters who are bitching about this on social media are doing it for themselves, not because they truly care. And if a cage fighter gets his feelings hurt over some twitter comment, to hell with him. Black, white, yellow or whatever the damn color he is.

Uggggh. Why do mma fighters have to be so gross sometimes?

How fucking clueless do you have to be to do something like this ?

anyone calling Bryant or Luke our for this is either a troll or racist.
MMA fans are so in denial and have such a low bar as to what they find acceptable with regard to racism. A white person can literally call a black person the n word and y'all will still make excuses. Cejudo should be put through the ringer for this ideally. Black people deserve respect too

Lmao I actually had no idea about the “racist history” of aunt Jemima until karyn pointed it out

Tbh it's an interesting conversation to have because there's so many Americans here I kind of forget how diverse it is here. It's a fair point that to someone not intimately familiar with our culture, this seems quite harmless and like people are just being cry babies. And with modern pc culture there's a hell of a lot of that going on here.

But this was a very specific comment Cejudo made here. He knew exactly what he was doing. You have to be either racist or incredibly tone deaf to make comments like that having grown up here.

FWIW I don't think he's a racist he's just a vanilla dude trying to stir up drama. But the intent was definitely to provoke anger and controversy.
And when he apologizes, everyone will look the other way. Unbelievable how comfortable people are with racism

MMA fans are so in denial and have such a low bar as to what they find acceptable with regard to racism. A white person can literally call a black person the n word and y'all will still make excuses. Cejudo should be put through the ringer for this ideally. Black people deserve respect too

What about Sterling's clearly racist tweet?

Oh and people saying all racism is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated are 100% correct. Don't want any confusion there. However there is more anger about racism directed towards certain cultures because of the history here. And NOT just blacks.

The complete decimation of the native american culture here is largely ignored for example.

There's a complex culture here and every group has stereotypes they don't appreciate being associated with.

What about Sterling's clearly racist tweet?
Also shameful. Leave the race stuff out of it. It's embarrassing to all parties. You can drum up interest for a fight without doing that crap.

And it can inadvertently lead to real life violence because racial tensions are high here already.

Back