Crime Headlining Crime Megathread Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ruprecht this isn't something that should be lumped into this thread. This holds more weight and is shedding light on an incredibly loose justice system that makes a complete mockery of women and their place in society.

There was no explicit political point made, the story isn't explicitly political and almost no content in the OP.

There was no explicit political point made, the story isn't explicitly political and almost no content in the OP.
Even though it's terribly written im sure pointing out that a proven murderer out on bail 2 weeks after the fact in the OP can be deduced as "political".

It's not partisan but it is political and it's a little rediculous to lump it into this thread.

Even though it's terribly written im sure pointing out that a proven murderer out on bail 2 weeks after the fact in the OP can be deduced as "political".

It's not partisan but it is political and it's a little rediculous to lump it into this thread.

If the OP isn't political and the story isn't political and it's about a crime, it's going in this thread.
If the OP had made a broader point about the legal system in Iran or gender equality it wouldn't have been merged.
Otherwise it's just another anecdotal crime story.

Otherwise it's just another anecdotal crime story.
Yea but it really isn't though which is my point.

Oh whale. Maybe suggest to thread starters that they should try to derive a politicized point to qualify the "crime" prefix before eagerly lumping it into this thread.

Yea but it really isn't though which is my point.

Oh whale. Maybe suggest to thread starters that they should try to derive a politicized point to qualify the "crime" prefix before eagerly lumping it into this thread.

That's in the OP for this thread and the thread starting guidelines. Make your OPs explicitly political.
Also, find better sources than the Daily Mail.
There's a lot more to that story.

That's in the OP for this thread and the thread starting guidelines. Make your OPs explicitly political.
Also, find better sources than the Daily Mail.
There's a lot more to that story.
I don't need to find anything. It wasn't my thread. Just pointing out how it was foolishly placed here.

Giving advice on what the content of the OP should have been is always better before derailing the thread, not after.

I don't need to find anything. It wasn't my thread. Just pointing out how it was foolishly placed here.

Giving advice on what the content of the OP should have been is always better before derailing the thread, not after.

I'm not speaking to you alone. We've been dumping or merging countless threads started by people that aren't WR regulars, because we have stricter requirements for OPs here than the other subforums.
A thread title and link, tweet, video or article cut and paste isn't enough.

Thread Starting
- Do not post multiple threads in one day, particularly addressing the same subject. This tends to drown out other posters from bringing different ideas into the discussion. It isn't fair to monopolize the discussion. Posting two or three threads can sometimes be okay, particularly when they are on different subjects. But that is the exception, not the rule. If you are a relatively new poster in this forum, it is particularly important not to begin by spamming lots of new threads.
-Don't post a thread with very little in it. A thread containing just a YouTube video or link is likely going to be dumped.
-Do not continually post threads regarding the exact same issue. If you do not like nation X, that is entirely okay. It is fine to post a thread criticizing nation X. What's not okay is to post nothing but threads attacking nation X, day after day, month after month, obsessively.
-Post replies in your own thread. Don't just post and abandon it. Keep addressing what others say.
-Think a bit before you post. Do you really understand what you are posting about? Did you read it through? Is it really interesting? Don't just post a lazily written introduction to a link when you don't understand what the link actually says.
-A thread title should accurately reflect a summary of your OP
-Do not make call out threads

Thread Moderation
Race baiting, speculative conspiracy theories (especially ones which aren't political) and trolling threads will likely be removed. Multiple threads on similar topics will likely be merged.
This will always be decided on a case by case basis, depending on the circumstances on the day and moderator discretion as to when a topic can stand on its own and when it needs to be merged. Taking into consideration - traffic, variety, organisation, indexing, etc.

I'm not speaking to you alone. We've been dumping or merging countless threads started by people that aren't WR regulars, because we have stricter requirements for OPs here than the other subforums.
A thread title and link, tweet, video or article cut and paste isn't enough.

Oh that's right you were telling everyone equally to find better sources for that exact thread we were discussing. Please.

You are well intentioned but putting this thread here is a blunder you aren't willing to admit. There was no real reason to have merged it here.
Anyone with half a brain could have drawn a parallel to the story and the ongoing struggle of women in the region without an explicit "this is a politically charged crime y'all!". It cheapens the forums when you are the sole arbiter of what constitutes a "political" crime thread.

Please tell me you aren't the only one allocating threads in this heap?

Oh that's right you were telling everyone equally to find better sources for that exact thread we were discussing. Please.

You are well intentioned but putting this thread here is a blunder you aren't willing to admit. There was no real reason to have merged it here.
Anyone with half a brain could have drawn a parallel to the story and the ongoing struggle of women in the region without an explicit "this is a politically charged crime y'all!". It cheapens the forums when you are the sole arbiter of what constitutes a "political" crime thread.

Please tell me you aren't the only one allocating threads in this heap?

Yes, I was saying the Daily Mail is a shit source to everyone and I'm telling everyone (including you, since you asked) why crime threads need to be explicitly political or the OP needs to spell out the political relevance, otherwise they'll be dumped or merged.
Same exact reason we don't let people spam the forum with threads about crimes by racial or ethnic groups when if they spelt out the political relevance we'd ban them for racism/ethnic bigotry.
I've explained why it was merged, if you're not happy with the reasoning too bad.
You could always try making threads yourself.

No so sure being abused by your uncle is trivial. Its bad enough he abused her but then he killed her, hope this fucker gets what he deserves.
i'm not saying him abusing her is trivial. what i'm saying is that people over there are so emotionally inept that they commit honor killings over something trivial. women get killed every year for the sake of family honor

You could always try making threads yourself.
Interesting

Out of curiosity if i were to create a thread literally this instant with the exact same story/link but derived the necessary political relevance so it wouldn't infringe on any rules would i be penalized in any way since someone else who didn't had it merged here?

I mean there isn't technically another thread on it right now. It's merely a passing comment in a mega thread so i should in theory be able to correct?

i'm not saying him abusing her is trivial. what i'm saying is that people over there are so emotionally inept that they commit honor killings over something trivial. women get killed every year for the sake of family honor

If you read the story from the mother, it's not an honor killing. Sounds more like police corruption or criminal intimidation.

Yes, I was saying the Daily Mail is a shit source to everyone and I'm telling everyone (including you, since you asked) why crime threads need to be explicitly political or the OP needs to spell out the political relevance, otherwise they'll be dumped or merged.
Same exact reason we don't let people spam the forum with threads about crimes by racial or ethnic groups when if they spelt out the political relevance we'd ban them for racism/ethnic bigotry.
if its not a political then its racism

edit:maybe i will post later after reading the schmules

Last edited:
Interesting

Out of curiosity if i were to create a thread literally this instant with the exact same story/link but derived the necessary political relevance so it wouldn't infringe on any rules would i be penalized in any way since someone else who didn't had it merged here?

I mean there isn't technically another thread on it right now. It's merely a passing comment in a mega thread so i should in theory be able to correct?

You could, although like I said, the Daily Mail is a shit source. Hard to make a decent thread with a broader case about police or judicial corruption/incompetence in Iran when the story leaves out most of the details.
Making it about gender equality would be lying by omission, since the complete story doesn't support that narrative. You'd need a different article.

if its not a political then its racism

No, the point is we won't let people use Sherdog as a platform for racial or ethnic bigotry by spamming the forum with crime anecdotes. This is a commercial site and that sort of posting has no place here.
The War Room however is explicitly for political discussion. If it's not political it doesn't belong here.
To the extent that headlining crime is always at least tangentially political, we have this megathread.

Ok war room, which one of you was it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ding-sword-fatally-shot-Detroit-officers.html

sword-640x480.jpg

• Detroit police approached man in his 20s spotted brandishing a 32-inch sword in the middle of the street on Thursday
  • Video footage shows a man wearing some kind of protective gear approach officers near a police car while holding several sharp objects
  • The clip shows the armed man then lunge for one of the officers with what looks like a knife
  • Police fired Taser in an effort to stop the man, which was ineffective because of 'protective covering over his torso'
  • The man threw an eight-inch dagger, striking an officer below an eye during the confrontation, according to authorities
  • He is then alleged to have attempted to get into the police vehicle before he was fatally shot by officers
  • Authorities suspect the man was suffering from a 'mental breakdown'

Detroit police have shot to death a man they say was wielding a sword in the middle of a street and threw a dagger at an officer, authorities said Thursday.

Video of the incident recorded by witnesses shows a man dressed in what authorities said was 'something a hockey player would wear' while brandishing what appears to be a sharp object.

The man is seen ignoring police orders to surrender and continues to wield what looks like a large knife as he approaches law enforcement officers near a police cruiser.

Police Chief James Craig said after the man was shot late on Thursday, he continued to approach officers while swinging the sword.

Detroit police noticed a man in his 20s brandishing a 32-inch sword and holding several other knives (left) while standing in the street on Thursday

The man was filmed (left) approaching officers (right) while brandishing sharp objects

The officer on the right is seen taking cover behind the vehicle as the man armed with the sword and daggers approaches

At one point, the man lunges at the officer with a knife. Police said the man kept approaching while ignoring orders to drop the weapons

He was able to climb into a police vehicle before he was captured.

The unidentified man in his 20s was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back