Crime Headlining Crime Megathread Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruprecht

Hands Of The Judges
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
MOD Note: This is a mega thread for discussing headlining crime stories which aren't explicitly political. Please use this space to freely discuss them, rather than starting a separate thread for each instance.

A California man accused of lighting a sleeping homeless person on fire and then taking photos of the blaze appeared in court on Tuesday and was charged with attempted murder.

Richard Smallets, 32, was arrested earlier this month in connection to an arson investigation in Glendale, a city in Los Angeles County, according to court records.

Glendale police responded at around 1:20 a.m. on Sept. 12 to help firefighters extinguish a small sidewalk fire.

A homeless man told investigators he was asleep underneath cardboard boxes when he woke up to the smell of smoke. He said he attempted to put out the blaze with bottled water before fire crews arrived, the Glendale Police Department said in a press release.

Detectives obtained surveillance video from a nearby business that showed a man intentionally setting fire to the cardboard structure and pausing to take pictures of flames, the press release said. Smallets was later identified as a suspect and placed under arrest.

Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office charged Smallets with attempted murder the next day. He pleaded not guilty during a previous court hearing on Sept. 16, Los Angeles' KTLA reported. He was held on a $1 million bond.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californ...d-souvenir-pics-held-on-1-million-bond-police

What a piece of human garbage. Reminds me of that idiot going around hitting homeless people in the head and killing them in their sleep.

Who picks on homeless people? You have to be the lowest form of 'life'

I hope this guy get's the book thrown at him. I have to imagine the other inmates don't rate homeless murderers very highly either. Scumbag.

I wonder if he was just setting some shit on fire and didn't know there was someone under there?

Brazen bull needs a comeback. Punishment would be so fitting

Is there anything to indicate he knew there was and actually tried to murder someone in premeditation?
The cardboard box structure is a dead give away theres a homeless person either inside or returning though often they pair up and someone stays at base.

He knew what he was doing unless he just showed up out of a parsnip patch and had never seen one before

The cardboard box structure is a dead give away theres a homeless person either inside or returning though often they pair up and someone stays at base.
Oh California..... once majestic.

Oh California..... once majestic.
I know folks love to Cali bash but pretty sure these exist across the country. Most urban areas have this problem and the ones who dont like to deal with winter come out here. Couple that with wealthy idealists supporting social/political policies of "we understand" leads to this. But day to day life isnt like this. But dont tell people that. We dont need more people here.

He knew what he was doing unless he just showed up out of a parsnip patch and had never seen one before
They would have to prove intent, not what seems like a "dead giveaway".
Judgments aren't made on what "seems obvious" either.

What makes his intentions obvious?
Be specific.
I'm not going to lawyer the shit out of this. Hes going to need a defense team for that. He lit a homeless cardboard structure on fire and took pics. I don't know. What do you think his intention was?

I'm not going to lawyer the shit out of this. Hes going to need a defense team for that. He lit a homeless cardboard structure on fire and took pics. I don't know. What do you think his intention was?
We can't know that, can we?

So you shouldn't be making definitive statements about what was in another man's mind, should you?

What a piece of human garbage. Reminds me of that idiot going around hitting homeless people in the head and killing them in their sleep.

Who picks on homeless people? You have to be the lowest form of 'life'

I hope this guy get's the book thrown at him. I have to imagine the other inmates don't rate homeless murderers very highly either. Scumbag.

You sound homeless.

It's actually a bit shocking to read that exchange.
It's not often you hear someone just flat out say their uninformed opinion is enough to satisfy them.

That's just your opinion man.

Look, I find it hard to believe he didnt know what he was doing. Willing to hear more but from what we have that's my opinion.

Why are you so bent on this?

That's just your opinion man.

Look, I find it hard to believe he didnt know what he was doing. Willing to hear more but from what we have that's my opinion.

Why are you so bent on this?
I'm not bent. It's just weird to hear someone assert so confidently something that can't possibly be ascertained.

I wonder if he was just setting some shit on fire and didn't know there was someone under there?

I legit did this once as a kid. Except it was a massive pile of dried leaves. I couldn't resist tossing a match in; had no idea someone was sleeping in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back