Have you ever worked with concrete?

My friend just bought a house and he has a dirt lot in his backyard. He asked me to help him pour a concrete slab so we could put up a patio cover. We had close to 100 bags of 60lbs of mixed concrete. He should've just paid for a truck to pour, but we had to do it manually. Those 60lb bags were heavy as fuck. They felt like they weighed twice as much and we had to do this 100 times. pour into the concrete mixer then pour into the formation we had. People who do this all day must be stronger than shit.
Yes! I did this job for two years we built the floor for them to pour on. We did some massive apartment buildings. We had to be there for the pour to scrape up any concrete that fell through the cracks onto the floor below and make sure everything stayed in place. We would oil the plywood with form oil or diesel so that it wouldn't stick to the concrete. After the concrete settled we would strip all the bars and plywood and then crane it all up to the next floor and start all over again if all the floors where the same we just had to cut our boards one time on the first floor. So each floor you're basically just putting together the same puzzle. lol I think the highest we did was probably like 15 stories it was so long ago i cant remember exactly but that seems about right. It was a pretty tough job for a young Green 18yr old me working with my crazy ass twice my age alcoholic cousins. Those guys were fucking nuts. lol

Last edited:
I put a letterbox in once and used it, the fucking thing stayed up too!

Funny enough, I work for a town Streets department, but we contract that stuff out. We only do small potholes from time to time.

I don't really do flat work, but I've done tile installations for over 20 years.

For some reason sacks of concrete and cement feel heavier than other objects. Try picking up a 94lb sack of cement. It's like carrying mercury. Also, why do they put it in thin paper sacks that rip with a gust of wind? Hate when I have to use that stuff. I'd rather get premixed bags for floating floors and walls than do my own chopping and mixing.

And yes, carrying 5 gallon buckets of concrete sucks.
If you want something on a site that looks heavier than it is, try and move a roll of lead. I know lead is the daddy of heavy non-reactive metals, but fuck me it's like you've stepped into a cartoon world

Concrete trucks are a thing! Good to learn the manual way though. It’ll put hair on your chest.

Next job TS is helping a buddy hand bomb a skid of shingles onto a roof manually. You thought the concrete was heavy?

did you look like you could haul that kinda weight? Bodybuilders will always use the concept of construction workers to illustrate how it isn't the volume and time you spend lifting weights, it's the proper execution. In other words, as Leroy Colbert said, "if it was how much work you do, construction workers would have the best built bodies in the world".
I was 20 years old and had never lifted weights in my life. Just laboring. Cut as all hell, but only really jacked on my back and forearms. You couldn't miss the forearms, but if you were to look at me at the time you wouldn't think I could pick up that weight. I am barely over midget height being 6'-2" though.

Yes! I did this job for two years we built the floor for them to pour on. We did some massive apartment buildings. We had to be there for the pour to scrape up any concrete that fell through the cracks onto the floor below and make sure everything stayed in place. We would oil the plywood with form oil or diesel so that it wouldn't stick to the concrete. After the concrete settled we would strip all the bars and plywood and then crane it all up to the next floor and start all over again if all the floors where the same we just had to cut our boards one time on the first floor. So each floor you're basically just putting together the same puzzle. lol I think the highest we did was probably like 15 stories it was so long ago i cant remember exactly but that seems about right. It was a pretty tough job for a young Green 18yr old me working with my crazy ass twice my age alcoholic cousins. Those guys were fucking nuts. lol

Good video, interesting stuff to watch.
I actually always kinda wondered how concrete floor slab was made. so it's like approx 4inches (??) of concrete with a mesh of rebar or similar mesh steel unrolled onto the plywood for strength etc and once that's all dried, you just remove most of the steel/aluminum struts underneath and just leave the main steel "triangular section" truss (leaving maybe 12inch gap underneath the concrete floor?) so that there's space for wiring and a/c ducts and then after new steel/aluminum struts and sheetrock / dura-rock is attached to that for the ceiling below.

more or less right?

I'd still think the concrete slab would sag down despite the steel reinforcing mesh but obviously it works and i guess it depends on how fine or coarse the mesh is.

How long did you guys leave the concrete to dry/harden before you removed the support struts and the plywood sheets?

Those 60lb bags were heavy as fuck. They felt like they weighed twice as much

For some reason sacks of concrete and cement feel heavier than other objects.

It's the limp, dead weight factor. It's unbalanced, more difficult to grip, the weight tries to move away from where you're holding it as you lift.

Usually, the trucks around here carry 10-12 cubic yards. Front discharge
Christ.
1 cubic meter of standard concrete weighs 2,400kgs (2.4metric tons).
a cubic yard is SLIGHTLY smaller than a cubic meter (a yard is 91% of a meter) but barely any less.

So 10cubic meters of concrete = 24tons / 24,000kgs and 12 cubic meters = 28,800kgs.
That's a hell of a lot of cargo for any vehicle to carry at one time.

Back