Have you ever worked with concrete?

For a job like that you'd normally get the sand and and agg bulk dumped dry and then you shovel in to mix in the mixer.
I can't imagine the cost of 100 bags of premix by comparison

My friend just bought a house and he has a dirt lot in his backyard. He asked me to help him pour a concrete slab so we could put up a patio cover. We had close to 100 bags of 60lbs of mixed concrete. He should've just paid for a truck to pour, but we had to do it manually. Those 60lb bags were heavy as fuck. They felt like they weighed twice as much and we had to do this 100 times. pour into the concrete mixer then pour into the formation we had. People who do this all day must be stronger than shit.
You can rent a little trailer with 1.5cy of batched concrete for probably $450-500 bucks these days. Tow it to where you need the mud and wheelbarrow it in if you cant back the trailer inside the form, or be a boss and rent a buggy and drive it in and dump it. Using wheelbarrows it's cheaper than buying the ready mix bags and mixing your own considering just material costs. Plus the mud is placed quickly and easier to finish for a more consistent product. Or call the batch plants around town and see if you can get a short load on will call. Let your experience be a lesson in futility and never repeat.

Why are you protecting his ego bro?! He's weak, he's fucking weak.
I once batched 320 metric tons of cement for pressure grouting over a few months. Had forearms like Popeye halfway through and could pick up 3 bags of 45kg cement off of a pallet at a time and walk to the mixer to show off (300lb). Probably one of the many reasons I have back problems now. So on second thought, stick to your 60lb bags bro. Will be better for you in the long run.

I don't really do flat work, but I've done tile installations for over 20 years.

For some reason sacks of concrete and cement feel heavier than other objects. Try picking up a 94lb sack of cement. It's like carrying mercury. Also, why do they put it in thin paper sacks that rip with a gust of wind? Hate when I have to use that stuff. I'd rather get premixed bags for floating floors and walls than do my own chopping and mixing.

And yes, carrying 5 gallon buckets of concrete sucks.
like someone else mentioned, it's not shaped to be handled. Yesterday I took my keyboard to the pawn shop, it's 72 pounds, heavy for a keyboard and it's awkward to move because cases are designed to be held like a suitcase, not easy with 72 pounds, but it definitely felt heavier than the 90-95 max i can do of a biceps curl, partly because i just worked out but also because the weight is spread out and awkard plus not have a good place to hold it.

What boggles my fucking mind is these guys in the gym who i see curling 85 pounds in each hand like nothing. That's incredible to me.

I once batched 320 metric tons of cement for pressure grouting over a few months. Had forearms like Popeye halfway through and could pick up 3 bags of 45kg cement off of a pallet at a time and walk to the mixer to show off (300lb). Probably one of the many reasons I have back problems now. So on second thought, stick to your 60lb bags bro. Will be better for you in the long run.
did you look like you could haul that kinda weight? Bodybuilders will always use the concept of construction workers to illustrate how it isn't the volume and time you spend lifting weights, it's the proper execution. In other words, as Leroy Colbert said, "if it was how much work you do, construction workers would have the best built bodies in the world".

He was carrying two bags one on each shoulder
I carried two planks of sixty pound flooring up about 30 stairs ,a pallet full for a customer, fuck that was hard, i think i even managed to do three on a trip but I'm not sure. I was in good shape for that type of work then, i'd hurt myself doing that now.

I carried two planks of sixty pound flooring up about 30 stairs ,a pallet full for a customer, fuck that was hard, i think i even managed to do three on a trip but I'm not sure. I was in good shape for that type of work then, i'd hurt myself doing that now.
Wtf did the building didn't have an elevator?

Wtf did the building didn't have an elevator?
it was a residential, and get this, the lady at one point asked if I could go faster. No one else she would have found for my pay would have done it faster. She was pretty annoying so I started avoiding her as a customer, nice person but I don't like feeling like I have to struggle to stay kind.

Shooting concrete is were it’s at
Pouring is oldschool
I had a buddy who did concrete, he loooked like Brawk Lesnar
But then one day he dropped dead due to an undiagnosed heart issue
R.I.P Big T

Shooting concrete is were it’s at
Pouring is oldschool
I had a buddy who did concrete, he loooked like Brawk Lesnar
But then one day he dropped dead due to an undiagnosed heart issue
R.I.P Big T
oh, that's sad, could happen to any of us though.

My friend just bought a house and he has a dirt lot in his backyard. He asked me to help him pour a concrete slab so we could put up a patio cover. We had close to 100 bags of 60lbs of mixed concrete. He should've just paid for a truck to pour, but we had to do it manually. Those 60lb bags were heavy as fuck. They felt like they weighed twice as much and we had to do this 100 times. pour into the concrete mixer then pour into the formation we had. People who do this all day must be stronger than shit.
Did you guys just pour the concrete right into the form on top of the dirt or did you guys prep the area?
Either way those bags of crete are crap, sorry but depending where you all live, that pad will flake and crack in a few years at most.

Fun fact they just discovered the formula for Roman concrete that lasts centuries.

Back