Hats off to everyone who does insane conditioning

My coach had a rule:

I thought it was a bad philosophy until I had my first couple of fights, then I realized what he was getting at.

thats is a great quote, would use as my sig if i had more room

I remember one of my wrestling assistant coaches puked during his own conditioning workout. I think it was more him having a stomach virus or something, rather than him not being able to keep up with his workout, but it was still pretty damn hilarious.

i disagree, i will gladly attempt something even though there is a great chance i wont finish it or do well in it, its called a challenge, its what happened with my 1st triathlon

I understand what you're saying but you still had to quit because you took a challenge too big. Either that or you had no intention of finishing when you started because you were just trying it out.

I ain't saying quiting is allways bad because it has to be put in context. I agree with the other poster about the conditioing workout, if one isn't hurting themsevles, and they are doing the conditioning for the true mental and physical challenge, then they need to stand in there and do what they can do not just walk away from it.

When you quote someone read the quote first. I said my post was not directed at you particulary. But since you went on a two paragraph defensive spasm maybe I hit a nerve for some reason. Don't quit next time and you won't have to rationalize.
Right, here we go with internet arguments that are as old as, well, the internet. Don't hand me the "learn to read" line. I read what you wrote. When you type in a thread as a response to what someone wrote, and state "this isn't directed at the OP in particular", what you mean is: "this is directed at everyone in general, and since I posted in this topic it also includes the OP." If you didn't mean for it to be addressed to me (and everyone in general), then why bother posting in here? Get it? Good.

As far as rationalizing, the level of rationalization is at 0. There is a difference between coming up with excuses, and knowing one's own body and the signals its sending. There is also a difference in philosophy when it comes to many aspects of life, training included. I have no upcoming fights. I just started with boxing in a gym about a month ago purely for physical fitness. Therefore, there is no need for me to push myself to the point I puke, and I have no plans on doing so. Now, I will fully admit that if I was specifically training for a fight, or some other event, and absolutely needed to complete this conditioning class and didn't follow through, then yes I would be rationalizing why I didn't. That's not the case though.

Regardless of what your views are, it's obvious your take on training is different than mine. Does that make you right and me wrong? No. My goals are more than likely not the same as yours. It seems you want to be "that guy" who pushes your training approach on others. When you start paying my monthly gym fees, then by all means you can try to push me until I puke. Until then, feel free to spout off your opinion on what you think everyone should do in a conditioning class, but you can talk to the hand when it's directed at me.

This thread was meant as a pat on the back to people who have dedicated themselves to rigorous conditioning, not bait for people like you to come in here and tell me what I should do, and if I can't hang then don't even bother trying. That's a crappy attitude to have. If I feel comfortable with gradually ramping up to that intensity, who are you to tell me I shouldn't? I'll get there, but I'll get there on my own time, and certainly not at a pace to appease you or anyone else. I'm doing this for me, not you. :p

Right, here we go with internet arguments that are as old as, well, the internet. Don't hand me the "learn to read" line. I read what you wrote. When you type in a thread as a response to what someone wrote, and state "this isn't directed at the OP in particular", what you mean is: "this is directed at everyone in general, and since I posted in this topic it also includes the OP." If you didn't mean for it to be addressed to me (and everyone in general), then why bother posting in here? Get it? Good.

What I get is instead of using your thread as the basis of making a general statment as part of a public internet converstation I should have made another thread. When I want to talk about you I will not be ambigious, you will know it :wink:

What I get is instead of using your thread as the basis of making a general statment as part of a public internet converstation I should have made another thread. When I want to talk about you I will not be ambigious, you will know it :wink:
Yeah, I think another thread was warranted here, and fair enough about being unambiguous in future threads. :cool: I don't think I was too out of line for responding as if your post was at least partially directed at me though, considering it was posted in this thread. :wink:

fight fight fight, id give it to jrt6 in the third round do to adaml gassing

fight fight fight, id give it to jrt6 in the third round do to adaml gassing

Lol, I'd bet against myself if it were allowed. If he can make it through one of those classes then yeah, his tank is >>>>>>>>>>>>>> mine. :icon_lol: (That doesn't even factor the fact that I haven't been boxing long at all, and would probably just get owned from being out-classed.)

Well I went to my first stand up class in awhile the last week and my arms fell off about 20 mins into it so the fight would have to depend on who got to pick the exercises.

I know exactly what thats like, i recently joined the army and ran with them on wednesday, by the 20 minute mark i had puked three times and they had to drag me back to the armory. I felt like a complete jackass cause the other guys didnt even look tired.

Congrats on trying the class..keep it up, you'll eventually be able to finish with no problem.

Some simple advice for you.

Pace yourself. You don't have to work every exercise 100%...you know your body, push it to its limit, but don't overdo it. You'll respect yourself more completing the class...it's worse to quit in the middle of the class than doing 10 mediocre pushups instead of 10 perfect ones...(you get my drift...just don't dog the exercises, try your best.) Don't quit...it's amazing how much a strong mind can accomplish.

Congrats on trying the class..keep it up, you'll eventually be able to finish with no problem.

Some simple advice for you.

Pace yourself. You don't have to work every exercise 100%...you know your body, push it to its limit, but don't overdo it. You'll respect yourself more completing the class...it's worse to quit in the middle of the class than doing 10 mediocre pushups instead of 10 perfect ones...(you get my drift...just don't dog the exercises, try your best.) Don't quit...it's amazing how much a strong mind can accomplish.

Well, the problem is the class all keeps at the same pace. I did forget to mention that after each lap they did 10 pushups/10 situps/10 situps where the legs are straight in the air (I don't recall the name of that situp.) That is really the only area I can think of where I could potentially scale down. I suppose what I could do is on the laps where I have a partner, explain to him that I'm still building my conditioning and might have to have him get off my back (literally) halfway through each lap.

What I have been doing is during days I don't go to the gym, focusing on cardio instead of boxing technique. Hopefully that will help when I go to the next cardio class. I'm pushing myself at home pretty hard to get up to speed, but the real test will be going to the class and seeing how far I can go.

At least you know where you are at, everyone has to start somewhere. Go back next week and I am sure you will do better, you can't expect to jump straight into something you have never done before and expect to hang with everyone.

Man I hate some of those cardio classes, but I love testing myself. Just constant movement. Congrats to you though, keep with it.

Back