Hats off to everyone who does insane conditioning

AdamL

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a somewhat brief post. I've been doing boxing/kickboxing training for about 5 months, 4 months of it on my own, and the last month started boxing at a local MA gym. After the 3rd week of boxing classes at the gym, I started to feel like I was still ready for more, even after 2 hours of class, so yesterday I decided it would be a great idea to go the cardio class that's offered there. Uhm, yeah. 15 minutes into it and I thought I was going to puke, so I had to stop and sit the rest of it out.

I watched the rest of the class, as they continued to endure an insanely grueling session. I have to say that I am amazed and incredibly impressed with anyone who puts themselves through that. It was inspiring to see the kind of shape people can get themselves in when they're being pushed super hard. For those of you who have been doing this a while and possibly forgotten what it's like when you just start out, I want to say that you should be proud of yourselves, and I have nothing but respect for the effort you put into it.

I'll be back next week to try again, because I really disliked not being able to finish. I doubt I can get through the whole thing yet (I think the whole class was about an hour and 15 minutes of this crazy stuff) but I'll try like hell to stay in it for longer. So yeah, give yourselves a pat on the back, because you deserve it.

Getting to that point is the hard part, staying there is 'relatively' easy.

Thats when the real slog begins

For me staying there...conditioning and doing technique drills and diet is the hard part. Getting there is maybe harder but you're always making good progression, once you're progression slows a little and you have to put in 2x the work to gain 1/2 the benefit that's when it gets challenging to me...but i've always been a little abnormal :p

For me staying there...conditioning and doing technique drills and diet is the hard part. Getting there is maybe harder but you're always making good progression, once you're progression slows a little and you have to put in 2x the work to gain 1/2 the benefit that's when it gets challenging to me...but i've always been a little abnormal :p

Exactly the same

You can't keep fight fit for all that long (something always gives out), thats why people spend 6-10 weeks building it up from maintanence levels.
Doing this half a dozen times, you begin to realise how easy getting really fit is so you become very very complacent

Why did you sit out of the rest of the class? What were they doing that was so hard?

I had to sit out because the intensity was so high that I felt sick to my stomach, and would more than likely have thrown up if I tried to continue. I was exhausted and 110% gassed out.

As for the routine, it started off innocently enough. Laps around the gym. Then...

- A few laps where we switched between front/back sidestepping.
- A normal lap, instructor asked us to run with a partner around our weight, I was a little puzzled by this but soon found out why...
- Start of next lap instructor told us to have our partner jump on us piggy-back style, ran a lap with partner on back (next lap partner carried me on his back)
- Another normal lap
- Next lap carry our partner with a fireman carry (next one he carried me)
- Another normal lap
- Next lap was a wheelbarrow lap (partner picks up your feet and you do a lap on your hands)
- Another normal lap
- A lap where the instructor had us crab-walk in reverse

That was it for me. I got almost 3/4ths of a lap on the crab walk and fell backwards, and was ran over by a couple of people because they were going in reverse lol. I moved as quick as I could and sat down. It looks like it's not that bad when you write it down linerally, but all of that took about 15 minutes, 75% of it at a grueling intensity. Also in my defense I'm not exactly young anymore, I'm 38, and holy crap doing this class reminded me of my age.

They then went on to do a few more laps. I was out of it at this point and focused on not puking, so my memory is a little hazy. They were almost done with the running though at this point. If I recall there weren't any more crazy partner-carrying laps.

They moved on to burpees at that point. A minute of them, with about 30 seconds of rest, then a modified version where they jump twice after each sprawl, for about a minute.

Then they grabbed jump ropes, and teamed up in sets of 3. 2 people sat on the ground holding the rope at knee height, and the 3rd person had to jump over it from front to back 10 times, side to side 10 times, jump over it, sprawl, crawl under it 10 times. Then they switched so one of the rope holders could go. They each did 3 reps of this.

Then they partnered up, grabbed a kick pad, and did 10 leg kicks with a squat after each kick. Switch legs, do it again. 3 reps of that.

Then 50 squats, and after 50 the instructor had them put their backs to the wall and maintain a sitting position with arms straight out for 1 minute. They repeated the squats/sitting 3 times.

After that they formed a circle while seated on the mats, and did 50 sit-ups, all the way down, all the way up and touched hands in the middle of the circle in unison.

Partnered up again, and did partner pull-ups. One guy stands, the other guy lays on his back, they grab hands and the guy on the ground does a pull up, keeping his body straight as he pulls himself up off the ground.

Then they moved on to stretching exercises, there was a lot of them, and I don't remember most of them. In hindsight I could have re-joined them for stretching probably. The whole class was about an hour and 15 minutes or so. I'm also almost positive that I am forgetting at least 2-3 or more conditioning exercises. I'm going to guess that maybe this might not be too intense for people who do conditioning on a regular basis, but for someone who has never done it before, this is so ass-kicking it's not even funny. Well, not until you look back a few days later and remember being ran over while backwards crab-walking! :redface: :icon_lol:

I had to sit out because the intensity was so high that I felt sick to my stomach, and would more than likely have thrown up if I tried to continue. I was exhausted and 110% gassed out.

As for the routine, it started off innocently enough. Laps around the gym. Then...

- A normal lap, instructor asked us to run with a partner around our weight, I was a little puzzled by this but soon found out why...
- Start of next lap instructor told us to have our partner jump on us piggy-back style, ran a lap with partner on back (next lap partner carried me on his back)
- Another normal lap
- Another normal lap
- Next lap was a wheelbarrow lap (partner picks up your feet and you do a lap on your hands)
- Another normal lap

That was it for me. I got almost 3/4ths of a lap on the crab walk and fell backwards, and was ran over by a couple of people because they were going in reverse lol. I moved as quick as I could and sat down. It looks like it's not that bad when you write it down linerally, but all of that took about 15 minutes, 75% of it at a grueling intensity. Also in my defense I'm not exactly young anymore, I'm 38, and holy crap doing this class reminded me of my age.

They then went on to do a few more laps. I was out of it at this point and focused on not puking, so my memory is a little hazy. They were almost done with the running though at this point. If I recall there weren't any more crazy partner-carrying laps.

They moved on to burpees at that point. A minute of them, with about 30 seconds of rest, then a modified version where they jump twice after each sprawl, for about a minute.

Then they grabbed jump ropes, and teamed up in sets of 3. 2 people sat on the ground holding the rope at knee height, and the 3rd person had to jump over it from front to back 10 times, side to side 10 times, jump over it, sprawl, crawl under it 10 times. Then they switched so one of the rope holders could go. They each did 3 reps of this.

Then they partnered up, grabbed a kick pad, and did 10 leg kicks with a squat after each kick. Switch legs, do it again. 3 reps of that.

Then 50 squats, and after 50 the instructor had them put their backs to the wall and maintain a sitting position with arms straight out for 1 minute. They repeated the squats/sitting 3 times.

After that they formed a circle while seated on the mats, and did 50 sit-ups, all the way down, all the way up and touched hands in the middle of the circle in unison.

Partnered up again, and did partner pull-ups. One guy stands, the other guy lays on his back, they grab hands and the guy on the ground does a pull up, keeping his body straight as he pulls himself up off the ground.

Then they moved on to stretching exercises, there was a lot of them, and I don't remember most of them. In hindsight I could have re-joined them for stretching probably. The whole class was about an hour and 15 minutes or so. I'm also almost positive that I am forgetting at least 2-3 or more conditioning exercises. I'm going to guess that maybe this might not be too intense for people who do conditioning on a regular basis, but for someone who has never done it before, this is so ass-kicking it's not even funny. Well, not until you look back a few days later and remember being ran over while backwards crab-walking! :redface: :icon_lol:

That's a good workout but i've seen much harder. You will be doing that in no time though man, dont be shy get in there. Next time if you feel like puking, puke, and get back in the class and finish the workout. ;)

That sounds like a good workout. Next time try and pace yourself more, maybe dont do as many reps or dont go as fast as everyone but do it all the way through.

- Another normal lap
- Another normal lap
- Another normal lap

i got tired just from reading this

This is a gneralization and not directed at the TS in particular:

Unless you are risking injury never quit. Either finish what you start or don't do something that is too far beyond your abilities or beyond your motivation to begin with.

Unless you are risking injury never quit. Either finish what you start or don't do something that is too far beyond your abilities or beyond your motivation to begin with.

That's kind of silly for you to say that. First off, I had no idea what level of intensity the conditioning class was. I had talked about it with a few people who said they had gone, some said it was hard, others said it was about the same level as the boxing I'm training in. Secondly, if your body is sending your brain signals that it's nauseous and will more than likely toss your lunch if you continue to exercise, it's probably wise to stop.

I was very motivated, but there are times where motivation is beyond limitation. I have every intention of going back there next week, and you know what? If it feels like I am getting sick again, I am going to stop and rest. I have nothing to prove to you, and if you think it's manly or whatever for someone to push themselves to the point they puke, then I think it's probably a good idea to reevaluate why you find that type of behavior desirable, because quite frankly that's a pretty stupid attitude to have. On top of that, it's going to cause people who might contemplate some rigorous conditioning to NOT attend a class, for fear of running into someone like you who thinks it's cool to push yourself until you're literally sick and vomiting.

That's kind of silly for you to say that. First off, I had no idea what level of intensity the conditioning class was. I had talked about it with a few people who said they had gone, some said it was hard, others said it was about the same level as the boxing I'm training in. Secondly, if your body is sending your brain signals that it's nauseous and will more than likely toss your lunch if you continue to exercise, it's probably wise to stop.

I was very motivated, but there are times where motivation is beyond limitation. I have every intention of going back there next week, and you know what? If it feels like I am getting sick again, I am going to stop and rest. I have nothing to prove to you, and if you think it's manly or whatever for someone to push themselves to the point they puke, then I think it's probably a good idea to reevaluate why you find that type of behavior desirable, because quite frankly that's a pretty stupid attitude to have. On top of that, it's going to cause people who might contemplate some rigorous conditioning to NOT attend a class, for fear of running into someone like you who thinks it's cool to push yourself until you're literally sick and vomiting.

When you quote someone read the quote first. I said my post was not directed at you particulary. But since you went on a two paragraph defensive spasm maybe I hit a nerve for some reason. Don't quit next time and you won't have to rationalize.

you will catch on after like 3 weeks and be right in there with the rest of them. if you want to boost that time just go until you actually puke and you will amaze yourself.

haha i didn't read this before my first post. it's gonna take you 6 months to get in shape with this attitude. your new thread title should say: hats off to people who do crazy conditioning cause i'll never be one. your attitude is horrible if you seriously want to get in shape sometimes you need to just puke. don't be a bitch dude he was just saying if you don't have the gumpture(sp?) to finish something WTF are you doing trying. P.S. if you are doing kickboxing on your own for 2 hoursand you can't jump in a cardio class and go for an hour then you need to reevaluate how hard you are pushing yourself on the kickboxing side. i've always been a runner and i do crazy cardio and muay thai still kicked my ass the first month with only 1 hour sessions. you are just not the type of person that is willing to hurt for the later reward. change your attitude or just continue to watch others get in shape in front of your eyes while you continue to waste your time.

My coach had a rule:

No quitting cause your bleeding.
No quitting cause your puking.

Now , if you're puking blood, you can stop.

I thought it was a bad philosophy until I had my first couple of fights, then I realized what he was getting at.

If I quit because I can't do something it's because I quite, period. And making excuses makes an instance of quiting into a future of failure.

As the Japanese proverb goes: "Only winners can choose to quite".

i disagree, i will gladly attempt something even though there is a great chance i wont finish it or do well in it, its called a challenge, its what happened with my 1st triathlon

Back