Hate him or love him, time to accept Jon Jones is the inevitable MMA GOAT.

Takamine86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
AliJones.jpg

I picked DC to win. I believed DC had the tools to beat Jon Jones, especially because he threw around some of the biggest HWs (Barnett, Big Foot, and Soa). Last night's fight proved to me Jon Jones would indeed be a force at HW as well. There is probably only 1 challenge left for Jon Jones at LHW and that is Gus 2. If Jon Jones gets passed him again and decisively, there isn't a man who will stop him at LHW. If Jon decides to stay there, he would easily surpass the Anderson's UFC title defense record and Fedor unbeaten streak. It is time to accept it, we are witnessing the man who will probably go down as the greatest fighter in MMA history. You don't have to like Jon, many didn't like Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson during their reign either. But when it is all said and done, like all athletes, Jon will be ranked based on his accomplishments in the sport, not his personality. So as it stands, this is what Jon Jones has accomplished already in his MMA career and at 27, he is still just getting started.

- Youngest champion in UFC history.

- Captured the belt in his first title shot against MMA legend Shogun in dominating fashion. (GSP lost to Hughes his first title shot.) Many believed Shogun was going to introduce Jon Jones to high level MMA striking, I was one of them. But instead, Jon Jones made Shogun tap to strikes.

- Still undefeated, Jon Jones has yet to lose a fight. (Nobody counts the Hamill DQ, it is like the Fedor cut.)

- Cleaned out what was once considered the best division in MMA, the LHW division. A division that was filled with MMA legends and greats in which competition cannot be questioned or discredited. A resume of Elite fighters, many being future Hall of Famers.

- Outwrestles great wrestlers. Outstrikes great strikers. Wins in dominating fashion.

- Jon Jones now has 8 title consecutive UFC title defenses, Anderson currently holds the UFC record with 10 and GSP in 2nd with 9. Aldo has 7 UFC title defenses.

Last edited:
TS....agree and good write up explaining your thoughts with real stats.

I make no bones about it, I am not a JBJ fan at all. I dislike the guy's character and attitude however, I believe he is the greatest LHW we've all seen and I also believe he would be a real force at HW. So with all my personal dislike and disdain for the guy, I won't be ignorant and make excuses for DC's defeat and attempt to discredit Jone's incredible fighting greatness. No one can dispute that JBJ is 100% legitimately bad ass. I just wish he wasn't such an ass with antics like pushing on DC's head while he's down after the bell, or the hands up at less than 10 seconds left on the clock in round 5 knowing he won. And the annoying eye pokes (which I think he actually unintentionally did tonight and did a great job of preventing anymore throughout the fight).
Jones is a force and I believe he will break Anderson's record (I wasn't sure of that before tonight and I was hopeful DC would dethrone him).
My hat's off to the king of LHW and potentially the future HW king.

no bones fan, but I agree. I hope Gus breaks bones.

I hate discussions about declaring a GOAT.

Shit still happens between Ali and Tyson.

Jon Jones is a phenomenal fighter, a clean slate that was molded into the epitome of an MMA fighter. He's been a dominant champion, and while he hasn't appeared flawless, he continues to improve and is yet to be definitely beaten.

Too bad he's such a ****.

I thought jones would lose...I think when its all said and done, he'll be the best of all time.

its crazy that he's made so many guys look mediocre. I want to find things to nit pick about with jones but man, he is just on another level.

I still don't like him but I respect what he does...

I don't think he's the GOAT until he breaks Anderson's records but at this point it seems unlikely anyone will stop him from breaking those records.

I don't think he's the GOAT until he breaks Anderson's records but at this point it seems unlikely anyone will stop him from breaking those records.

If he dont break it i still dont think that will matter Jones is facing far better opposition .

I don't like Jones, but after the DC fight, I have to agree. The only person I see beating Jones now, is Cain. And even then, it'd be a tough one to call.

I don't like him at all, but the case he's building is very persuasive. With 3 big wins in 2015, I can see him taking that position as the GOAT.

Ali would have beaten him

Back