Has there ever been a superstar female athlete in combat sports?

Why compare WMMA to other sports when trying to decide if Ronda is a superstar or not?

Within WMMA and women's combat sports, she definitely is and will only become a bigger superstar if she keeps winning.

Women don't do WMMA -- It's like being the winner of a race with 2 people. You either come first or last.

Ronda Rousey is a superstar? Nonsense. To me, a superstar is someone whose fame transcends their niche field. I know casual MMA fans who don't even know who she is, so in my mind, that really harms the superstar claim. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet almost everybody I know knows who Laila Ali (sp?) is, to some extent. Sure, she may only be known because of her old man, but that doesn't mean she's any less of a star. To the guy who said 90% of Sherdoggers wouldn't know her if they passed her in the street, well, then I guess I'm in the upper echelons because I'd definitely spot her. I'd be less likely to notice Rousey, since she's not as present in the mainstream, non-MMA media and I don't go out of my way to read about her.

There is only one reason anybody knows who Ali is, and it's not her boxing record.

If Ronda keeps winning and gets a big push from the UFC and FOX, she'll end up FAR more well known than Ali's daughter.

I think Gina was bigger a couple years ago. I mean she means nothing now and wasnt the fighter that Ronda is now but I think Gina was a bigger name when she was on top. Ronda will eclipse her but hasnt yet in my opinion.

Because the thread is about that. Thats like going into a Crocop thread and asking why are we talking about Crocop.

RR is not a superstar, the casual MMA fan doesn't know who she is let alone the average person in the street and that's how you gauge a super star not just a star of a sport, they have to cross over into the general public. I expect Gina still has more fame than RR.

The thread is about whether Ronda is the first superstar combat sports athlete, not about how she stacks up against female athletes in other sports.

Every casual mma fan I know knows who she is, and she hasn't even fought in the UFC yet.

It's hard enough naming female athletes in general.

There is only one reason anybody knows who Ali is, and it's not her boxing record.

If Ronda keeps winning and gets a big push from the UFC and FOX, she'll end up FAR more well known than Ali's daughter.

Laila Ali is more well known world wide then any MMA fighter! Yes it is only because of who her dad is but still she is always going to be more well known then Ronda

Trollinator indeed.

Your so far off base and you don't even realise it -- You cannot be a superstar of a sport when the competition is and always will be low.

Womens combat sports; and this goes for all women's combat sports, never have a large base of competition. Various reasons contribute to this, most prominently basic human chemistry.

Truly elite world class women competition exists in sports like tennis, swimming, track, gymnastics, cycling. These sports are participated in huge numbers from juniors to seniors where their status as superstars is tested amongst the best from hundreds of countries world wide.

Not WMMA tested against the best 3 women you somehow managed to find scattered across the country.

Or is Rousey the first?

You're trying to make a statement (Rousey is a super star) by pretending to ask a question lol.

Rousey is a bronze medal Judo Olympians, who is being promoted by Dana White. That is all.

The only true female super star is Gina Carano who is also known for her work outside MMA, such as tv shows, films, video games, and modeling.

They are making a movie about this girl

She's pretty cute. DO you think she would be as popular if she looked like this?

Nicole_Bass_07.jpg

Rousey isn't a superstar. GSP might be. Lebron James is a superstar. Leo Messi is a superstar. Rousey is not.

Back