Has there ever been a superstar female athlete in combat sports?

In any sport, no. And Rousey is not a superstar

Laila Ali was far bigger than Rousey is now. That is almost completely because she was Ali's daughter, though.

Agreed about the fact that her dad is what made here famous. Also, Gina was pretty famous for a while.

Can't wait for Cyborg to derail this hype train. Rousey isn't hot or that good and I being portrayed as some great fighter goddess. Not buying into this one.

I'd bet 90% of fight fans on this website wouldn't recognize Leila Ali if they passed her on the street.

Ann Wolfe

Not really, but I'll take any opportunity to post this KO.

Haha. Ann Wolfs sparring partners were typically 200 pound men. And she beat the shit out of them.

Natalya Ragozina http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natascha_Ragosina

Boxing

2009 W.B.F. heavyweight world champion
2009 W.I.B.F. heavyweight world champion
2008 I.W.B.F. super middleweight world champion
2007-09 W.B.C. super middleweight world champion (4 title defences)
2007-08 W.I.B.A. super middleweight world champion (2 title defences)
2007-09 W.B.A. super middleweight world champion (6 title defences)
2006-09 G.B.U. super middleweight world champion (7 title defences)
2005-09 W.I.B.F. super middleweight world champion (10 title defences)
2004-05 W.I.B.F. super middleweight Inter-Continental champion (1 title defence)

Kickboxing

1999 W.A.K.O. World Championships in Caorle, Italy Gold +70 kg (Full-Contact)
1998 W.A.K.O. European Championships in Leverkusen, Germany Gold +65 kg (Full-Contact)
1996 W.A.K.O. European Championships in Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro Gold +65 kg (Full-Contact)

Google her, she's pretty attractive too!

Can't wait for Cyborg to derail this hype train. Rousey isn't hot or that good and is being portrayed as some great fighter goddess. Not buying into this one.

What are you on? Undefeated. All 1st round finishes.

4:30

The Williams sisters.

edit I thought OP meant in any sport.

I would say Gina was a superstar.

Ronda has the potential to be much bigger than her.

Last edited:
I'd bet 90% of fight fans on this website wouldn't recognize Leila Ali if they passed her on the street.

Well considering it's 2012 and a bunch of kids roam these forums you are probably right.

What's your point though?

Nope, nobody yet. Rousey could be the first soon though.

Ronda is not a superstar, she is well advertised.

xlarge.jpg

When did Rousey become a superstar? If any female fighter is close to becoming a superstar it's Gina Carano

Or is Rousey the first?

You must be talking celebrity because any female sport with only a handful of competitors can in no way shape or form possess superstar athletes -- How would you know when they have no competition.

List of female sports that have more competition than WMMA:

All of them.

Ronda Rousey is a superstar? Nonsense. To me, a superstar is someone whose fame transcends their niche field. I know casual MMA fans who don't even know who she is, so in my mind, that really harms the superstar claim. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet almost everybody I know knows who Laila Ali (sp?) is, to some extent. Sure, she may only be known because of her old man, but that doesn't mean she's any less of a star. To the guy who said 90% of Sherdoggers wouldn't know her if they passed her in the street, well, then I guess I'm in the upper echelons because I'd definitely spot her. I'd be less likely to notice Rousey, since she's not as present in the mainstream, non-MMA media and I don't go out of my way to read about her.

You must be talking celebrity because any female sport with only a handful of competitors can in no way shape or form possess superstar athletes -- How would you know when they have no competition.

List of female sports that have more competition than WMMA:

All of them.

Why compare WMMA to other sports when trying to decide if Ronda is a superstar or not?

Within WMMA and women's combat sports, she definitely is and will only become a bigger superstar if she keeps winning.

Why compare WMMA to other sports when trying to decide if Ronda is a superstar or not?

Within WMMA and women's combat sports, she definitely is and will only become a bigger superstar if she keeps winning.

Because the thread is about that. Thats like going into a Crocop thread and asking why are we talking about Crocop.

RR is not a superstar, the casual MMA fan doesn't know who she is let alone the average person in the street and that's how you gauge a super star not just a star of a sport, they have to cross over into the general public. I expect Gina still has more fame than RR.

Back