Has the window on Rory being a great closed?

Lawler closed it in their rematch, most if sherdog was in denial.

The idea that someone can't be a great fighter because of a few tough losses is nonsense. By that measurement BJ is a complete goof. Couture a bum. People will say BJ is past his prime. Well that is BJ's excuse. Well Couture fought in two different divisions against much bigger men. Ok that is Randy's excuse. I'm not a Rory fan and I rarely think that much about him but I know great when I see it. Rory isn't a legend or the GOAT but Rory is more than good, way more. Rory is skilled and excels in every aspect of the game. Rory's excuse for his losses is that he ran into a ridiculously skilled and tough as nails Robbie Lawler at his zenith which bordered on legendary. Mousasi is a weight class up and enjoyed a significant size advantage plus I think he may be at his apex. The one loss that is tough is the Wonderboy fight. Not sure on that one as he didn't look like himself. Perhaps not over the nose job Lawler provided.

I will say I'm not wholly against the argument he isn't great but at age 29 with some seriously significant wins over Woodley, Maia, and Lima coupled with the great fighters he lost to I'm not ready to close the door on him.

Was just about to mention Erick Silva, TS. Thank you for ruining an otherwise prefect evening :).

I think this year will likely determine it. If Rory can win the whole tournament he'll be arguably the 3rd best WW ever.
how, exactly..there's nobody who's even a top 10 fighter in the tournament.. lol

Bit of revisionist history post-loss. Would disagree for sure. Saying that the guy that outclassed Tyron was not a great fighter just doesn't make sense. You can say his biological window is closing (very possible) but to go back and discredit his skillset like that is weird.

*checks thread*
Oh but he isn't in the UFC any more so yeah he has always been a can. Tyron sucking even worse. Will get exposed by whoever marketing tells me is the new new breed! UFC UFC UFC!

Ariel-Helwani-1.png

Ariel Helwani is, to some extent, the one to blame here.

His ridiculous over hyping of canadian athletes really did a number on the mma community.

That said, rory is great. Like, really really good indeed. But as you said, the expectations sold by the man with the nose were too damn high.

If they built him up slower he couldve been. He wasnt ready for the big dogs when they threw him in there. Hes definitely past his prime. He seems too concerned about getting hit in the face these days because his nose has been smashed so many times.

Victories over Saffeidine, Woodley and Maia refute this highly questionable post.

There's no shame in losing to Robbie Lawler - the same man who beat the competitiveness out of Hendricks.

Victories over Saffeidine, Woodley and Maia refute this highly questionable post.

There's no shame in losing to Robbie Lawler - the same man who beat the competitiveness out of Hendricks.
Im saying he was good but had the potential to be even better... thats highly questionable?

Eh current WW isn't out of reach from him. As long as he is fighting, he will remain in the top ten. The level of competition isn't too radical right now

I think this year will likely determine it. If Rory can win the whole tournament he'll be arguably the 3rd best WW ever.
3rd best based on what??? He never won the big title

Yes,sadly i think so.

The Lawlor fight permanently changed Rory. He took a careers worth of damage in that fight and his nose will never be the same. Pretty much any damage to his nose opens up the faucet and fucks his breathing. Lawlor is fucking vicious, almost killed Trigg and literally took Rory's career.

No. Anyone who gets beat so easily by a UFC washout like Mousassi (who got smashed by old Jacare) should go ahead and retire.

I am curious who #2 is? GSP is #1 and Matt Hughes was always #2. Are you putting Woodley ahead of Hughes? If yes does Rory running the table in the Bellator WW Grand Prix put him past Hughes as well?

I personally would still have Hughes ahead if Tyron based on a much longer career, more defenses (I think?). Tyron still needs to rack up a few more wins IMO. It’s hard to compare different eras as Matt had so many fights where Tyron is in the era of fighting once or twice a year at most for almost all champs.

Even though he is only 29 years old, he has been in some real wars that may have taken a lot out of him. I did not see the Mousasi fight, what weight was that at? I assume it was at 185, which is not Rory's weight class. That said, I do believe he can be a force again, but not at Bellator. Nobody at Bellator will ever be considered great, because they are not fighting the best. If he comes back to UFC, he has a good chance of attaining his status as one of the sports best.

There was a time.....The Time was when people started to compare Rory to GSP...I remember this, the measure of greatness side by side with GSP...That ship sailed, Good, yes, Great....Nope.

The guy regularly considered quitting the sport so you gotta wonder how things might have been if his heart was in it instead of fighting in an emotional coma. But yeah, the window is almost closed unfortunately.

Back