Has the window on Rory being a great closed?

I say this because he got beat by Lawler 2x, Rory and almost lost his leg to Lima.

There's a very good chance he drops a rematch to Douglas.

welp wat about him beating the current champ and nate marquart beating him and jake shields...?

I think this year will likely determine it. If Rory can win the whole tournament he'll be arguably the 3rd best WW ever.

Agree.

He can beat Fitch and Gracie but Lima is dangerous as hell

Woodley beat a lawler that had just been through multiple wars- one of them was rory. That fight wasn't as impressive as people think.

His win over condit was also a freak injury.

1. He beat Lawler who held a world championship....doesn't matter if he's been in wars. He literally beat the championed best WW on the planet.

2. He was beating Condit and if we go from an honest assessment of how that fight was playing out vs Condit's history against similar styled powerful wrestlers (Hendricks). We can make a strong assumption that he was going to win that fight anyway

Fuck I remember a thread about a 16 year old killer called Rory Mac back in the day

I wouldn't pick him over Woodley in a rematch. Dude took too much damage before hitting his prime and he just isn't anywhere near as calculated or intelligent as someone like GSP. Was a great prospect, had the physical tools but never put it all together mentally to become the best.

Rory is past his prime. I know he’s still young but he’s like 100 in fight years. I also believe his nose will always bother him in every fight going forward

onlyon sherdog would someone say something like this only cause he went up and fought arguably the best 185er on the planet nobody is touching rory at 170 right now let him go fight tyron again and see him bust his face up again
That's a helluva stretch to call a guy whose best win in the UFC was an on the skids Chris Weidman the best 185er on the planet. Even with the caveat arguably you're being generous as fuck. How fanboys think Moose suddenly got better by beating cans, a WW masquerading as a MW and almost losing to Shlemenko in Bellator is beyond me.

People have ragged on him too hard for the Mousassi loss. Sassi would beat the shit out of any WW and possibly MW ever. Rory still has the ability to go back to the UFC and make another title run and possibly win. His biggest problem is that Glass nose
Any MW ever, the fuck you smoking son?

He pretty much stated he accomplished his goal of becoming a welterweight champion. It just so happened to be Bellator. He also talked about not having “fire” when he fought moose.

isnt he still the ww champ?
mousassi was just too big.
he beat mark hunt ffs.

I have it as GSP 1, Hughes 2, 3 Tyron. But I believe 3 title defenses will put Rory ahead of Tyron.
Makes sense to me. Unless of course Tyron were to defend against Usman, Colby and perhaps Lawler in a rematch or Ponzo? But the head to head win for Rory gives him the edge IMO.

He can still be a top 5 WW all time even in Bellator if he win's the tournament and defends like 1-2 times after.

For a long time he was hailed as the first of the new breed of MMA fighters, the guy who was going to be the next GSP or at the very least hold the belt for a bit, but unfortunately, such a thing did not happen. He ran into the wall of bricks known as Robbie Lawler on two occasions, and came up short.

At this point, I don't even think he'll be holding the Bellator belt by the end of the year. He did carve out a good career, but I think the expectations were far too great for such a young guy (no Erick Silva comments allowed). I think he was a very good, but not great, fighter.
Bad timing imo. Came up against lawler who metamophosized into a beast then a kitty with usada. Rory was right to be suspicious. No shame in losing to mousasi whos a great mw.
He could have/should have been champ and a great.

Back