*Has China surpassed Japan and Korea as having the best MMA fighters?*

Every time I hear this he loses the fight coming up In fact I don't really remember the guy winning It's always losing Whether here or the new Asian promotion he's in He's been disappointing given the hype

You must not pay much attention then, Kyoji was on a 13 win streak before his most recent loss. He's one of the most talented fighters in the lower weight classes.

<TrumpWrong1>

What you see is what the UFC wants you to see not the reality
The UFC failed to conquer the japanese MMA's market thats why you no longer see competitive japanese fighters in the UFC.
On another hand you see plenty of sucessful chinese fighters when the UFC is trying to sell in China because learning from the experience they know they need some local champion or at least challenger to sell in a said country.
They are matched against opponents who have the right style to make them shine.
Thats why I'm losing interest for the UFC, this is just a scripted real tv show made to look like its really real

I won't say they failed in Japan.

It's fan expecting like PRIDE 3.0 in Japan and the reality is the country doesn't support it on that level anymore. RIZIN isn't killing it in Japan right now and neither did Dream. Both orgs tailor made for Japan audience and they don't care enough to blow it up again on any level that will satisfy PRIDE diehards. Unrealistic expectations from fans pretty much sums up Japan MMA in the last decade.

The UFC will take a good fighter from any country.

This. Even the independent rankings are missleading because they all measure it in terms of western fighters.

I wrote a longer post about this before. But even FightMatrix struggles with this. Kai Asakura went from #97 to becoming #7 Bantamweight in the world over one fight. Simply because he won over a world class fighter in the east that was accurately ranked.

I'm sure Mikuru Asakura is a lot better than his ranking would lead you to believe. And so are his opponents.

That being said, I'm loving the Chinese style of fighters coming up.

You got to remember rankings are based one what have you done, not future potential. You have to beat proving guys to work your way up, it will always be this way.

Look at the College Football and the NFL. Every year you have guys who kill it in College(from tops schools to even division II schools) even look great against other great college players and even against great college guys who are now in the NFL doing well. The tops schools guys will almost always get more run than small school guys simply because history has shown they are dominating a better level competition(ie: UFC vs most of the rest of the world orgs). They get drafted to the NFL and they may flop or succeed regardless of school. But the guy that went 90 picks after him is in the pro bowl by year 4 and some guys at his position that were drafted well ahead of him aren't even in the league anymore.

Point of it all is your guessing, even two good looking prospects clashing saying they both should be ranked much higher is just a slightly educated guess. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong and you won't know until they fight a guy we all know is good. Then they'll climb in the rankings. Rankings are based on history not the future. That's also why guys on the decline stick around in the rankings even though chances are the guy ranked 14th would knock them off of there 7 spot at this point of their career.

You got to remember rankings are based one what have you done, not future potential. You have to beat proving guys to work your way up, it will always be this way.

I wasn't disagreeing there. I was saying the rankings in the east are biased and has a result not accurate.

The flaw is that you basically need to beat a western fighter or someone who has recently beaten a western fighter for the rankings and people to give you any due respect.

- Example: Kai Asakura knocked off Horiguchi’s head and jumped from literally obscurity to a world elite fighter.
Fightmatrix ranked him #98
and #7 afterwards.

- Then he gets starched by #84 Manel Kape, who previously lost against UFC washed up Ulka Sasaki.

- Fightmatrix doesn’t know what to do. Manel Kape was then ranked #10 in the world. Simply because the system is broken.

- Tapology is even worse: after this Asakura was ranked 11 spots lower than Horiguchi. And Manel even lower than him again. it was like the fights never happened.

Teh Leech still needs to be proven. He will be on Erick Silva type status if he doesn't fight more.

China certianly has better representation in the UFC right now, but there are plenty of elite JMMA fighters out there:

Asakura bros, Horiguchi, Wada, Motoya, Ogikubo, Ishiwatari, Majima, Naoki Inoue, Shoko Sato. All are UFC contender level right now.

Two words :
Hatsu Hioki
Every Japanese Can is a UFC contender until they join the UFC. JMMA sucks!!!

It should stand to reason that it should. They’ve only got about 1.3 billion people.

I dunno, if Current Kyoji tries to fight the best fighters from CHN/KOR it might not go well for him.

He’s pretty damn good to beat Darrion Caldwell twice. I think Caldwell would easily be a top three ufc bantamweight.
:(
20191114114140_horiguchi.JPG

Two words :
Hatsu Hioki
Every Japanese Can is a UFC contender until they join the UFC. JMMA sucks!!!
Maybe you should look at the list of guys Hioki lost to in the UFC? His fights with Elkins, Lamas, and Guida were all competitive, with many considering the Guida fight a robbery. He got submitted by Oliveira in a grappling war, and got KO'ed by a rising Dan Hooker. None of those are bad losses.

I wasn't disagreeing there. I was saying the rankings in the east are biased and has a result not accurate.

The flaw is that you basically need to beat a western fighter or someone who has recently beaten a western fighter for the rankings and people to give you any due respect.

- Example: Kai Asakura knocked off Horiguchi’s head and jumped from literally obscurity to a world elite fighter.
Fightmatrix ranked him #98
and #7 afterwards.

- Then he gets starched by #84 Manel Kape, who previously lost against UFC washed up Ulka Sasaki.

- Fightmatrix doesn’t know what to do. Manel Kape was then ranked #10 in the world. Simply because the system is broken.

- Tapology is even worse: after this Asakura was ranked 11 spots lower than Horiguchi. And Manel even lower than him again. it was like the fights never happened.
Dude... 10 years ago Sherdog had Golyaev ranked top 10 for beating Gomi.

How did he not prove himself in his fight with Zaleski?
He looks good. Still a prospect though. The Magny fight is a step up but even Magny is little worn. If he wins, I'd like to so him against Wonderboy or Woodley.

We'll know for sure when The leech beats magny. If he beats him, I say give him a top 5 contender. If he beats usman, he is a god

@NorrisB THE LEECH!

He looks good. Still a prospect though. The Magny fight is a step up but even Magny is little worn. If he wins, I'd like to so him against Wonderboy or Woodley.
Magny is a step down from Zaleski. But yes, a win potentially gets him a fight with the Woodley/Edwards loser.

No, Japan and Korean fighters would route any serious nation vs nation card vs China.

<TrumpWrong1>

What you see is what the UFC wants you to see not the reality
The UFC failed to conquer the japanese MMA's market thats why you no longer see competitive japanese fighters in the UFC.
On another hand you see plenty of sucessful chinese fighters when the UFC is trying to sell in China because learning from the experience they know they need some local champion or at least challenger to sell in a said country.
They are matched against opponents who have the right style to make them shine.
Thats why I'm losing interest for the UFC, this is just a scripted real tv show made to look like its really real

Yeah I'm starting to feel the same way, although I don't know if I will ever lose interest completely since the fights are real after all. Just have to accept that things are orchestrated more than we used to believe.

I believe Japanese and Koreans haven't held the UFC belt? So China now is better since they have a champ.

Back