*Has China surpassed Japan and Korea as having the best MMA fighters?*

You look at all the notable fighters that came from Japan. Sakuraba, Genki Sudo, Hayato Sakurai, Kid Yamamoto, Kazuo Misaki, Yushin Okami and many more I'd say China has some catching up to do but they've taken a good first step.

OP said he felt like Japan was past it's prime. Dunno how that translates to guys that are retired...

OP said he felt like Japan was past it's prime. Dunno how that translates to guys that are retired...
I'm going with fighters throughout MMA history. Japan has China beat in that regard.

I dunno, if Current Kyoji tries to fight the best fighters from CHN/KOR it might not go well for him.

:(
20191114114140_horiguchi.JPG

I have faith he makes a full recovery and whoops Kape again

<StillMyBoy>

<TrumpWrong1>

What you see is what the UFC wants you to see not the reality
The UFC failed to conquer the japanese MMA's market thats why you no longer see competitive japanese fighters in the UFC.
On another hand you see plenty of sucessful chinese fighters when the UFC is trying to sell in China because learning from the experience they know they need some local champion or at least challenger to sell in a said country.
They are matched against opponents who have the right style to make them shine.
Thats why I'm losing interest for the UFC, this is just a scripted real tv show made to look like its really real
It's not just Chinese fighters, it's any striker with an "eXcItInG" style.

There is actually a reason for this. The UFC has recently built a performance institute in China like the one in Vegas. However the PI in Vegas has full training staff to help develop a fighters technique along with ohysical conditioning.

The UFC is essentially training its own team China as way of ensuring a new generation of Chinese fighters can move up the UFC ranks. Every couple of months they hold tryouts at the PI and then they enroll the promising candidates into a PI training class that has a full on curriculum. It's college for fighters.

So as the years go expect to see more fighter emerging from China.

View attachment 737573

https://www.mmaindia.com/top-perfor...lected-to-participate-in-the-ufc-academy/amp/

Info from the article

I didn't realize that.... is there not a massive conflict of interest in having UFC gyms fielding UFC fighters??

There is actually a reason for this. The UFC has recently built a performance institute in China like the one in Vegas. However the PI in Vegas has full training staff to help develop a fighters technique along with ohysical conditioning.

The UFC is essentially training its own team China as way of ensuring a new generation of Chinese fighters can move up the UFC ranks. Every couple of months they hold tryouts at the PI and then they enroll the promising candidates into a PI training class that has a full on curriculum. It's college for fighters.

View attachment 737573

https://www.mmaindia.com/top-perfor...lected-to-participate-in-the-ufc-academy/amp/

Info from the article

That architecture in the bottom photo, with the temple steps leading up to an octagonal heaven, is genius-level.

<TrumpWrong1>

What you see is what the UFC wants you to see not the reality
The UFC failed to conquer the japanese MMA's market thats why you no longer see competitive japanese fighters in the UFC.
On another hand you see plenty of sucessful chinese fighters when the UFC is trying to sell in China because learning from the experience they know they need some local champion or at least challenger to sell in a said country.
They are matched against opponents who have the right style to make them shine.
Thats why I'm losing interest for the UFC, this is just a scripted real tv show made to look like its really real
This. Even the independent rankings are missleading because they all measure it in terms of western fighters.

I wrote a longer post about this before. But even FightMatrix struggles with this. Kai Asakura went from #97 to becoming #7 Bantamweight in the world over one fight. Simply because he won over a world class fighter in the east that was accurately ranked.

I'm sure Mikuru Asakura is a lot better than his ranking would lead you to believe. And so are his opponents.

That being said, I'm loving the Chinese style of fighters coming up.

There aren't enough people involved for making such statements, that's like saying Belgium was the top European country in MMA when Saffiedine was the Strikeforce WW champ.

I didn't realize that.... is there not a massive conflict of interest in having UFC gyms fielding UFC fighters??
What we call “conflict of interest” is, in China, the way things are supposed to work.

I'm going with fighters throughout MMA history. Japan has China beat in that regard.
As the OP I was asking about the actual photo, current fighters. Of course Japan got the top fighters in MMA history, it's not even close.

Interesting, thanks for posting this, I’m curious how long ago the facility was built and why the UFC hasn’t been attention whoring more information out on this?
<Fedor23>

View attachment 737573

Info from the article

OP is talking about current times, it kinda reads in between the lines. He cited modern day fighters as examples, and pointed out Japan is past it's prime when all of their great fighters are done so how coud they be past their prime? Just saying.

You look at all the notable fighters that came from Japan. Sakuraba, Genki Sudo, Hayato Sakurai, Kid Yamamoto, Kazuo Misaki, Yushin Okami and many more I'd say China has some catching up to do but they've taken a good first step.

/thread

LonelyAcceptableDinosaur-size_restricted.gif

What Chinese MMA fighters are better than the current Korean and Japanese fighters?

Korean Zombie kills those 3 with first round knockouts consecutively in the same night

Horiguchi is the best fighter out of all 3 of those countries currently.
Every time I hear this he loses the fight coming up In fact I don't really remember the guy winning It's always losing Whether here or the new Asian promotion he's in He's been disappointing given the hype

Back