Hard truths that people don't want to hear about Gane

I don’t agree he lost to ngannou, but he did in my opinion win a close decision against a man with one knee so I see your point. Nothing he did against spivak was awe inspiring, spivak kind of just performed the way someone who doesn’t believe they can win will perform

Jones is that good. I would like to see another fighter who thinks Gane would be one of his easier wins.
There’s something I think you’re overlooking. The mental part of fighting certain fighters. We’ve seen a few fighters with an aura of invincibility. They dominated their opponents so totally that some of their opponents lost the fight before it even started.

People like Jones, Silva, GSP, Amanda, Cyborg, etc..

Sometimes there is a certain point where you just know one of the fighters is fucked (Usually the challenger with the people I mentioned above). You can sometimes see an actual physical manifestation of what is probably going on in their head at the moment. If you know what I mean.

Something happens during fight week. It could be at the pre-presser. The ceremonial weigh-ins. The in Octagon face off for title fights. Or the first little bit of the fight itself.
For example..

I was on the fence a tiny bit leading up to 207. Because I had questions about Ronda, and her mental state. And this didn’t help..

UFC 207 will happen without a single press conference, open workouts or large media presence for either Nunes or Rousey, which is really the first time in history the promotion has put on an event of this magnitude without any of those taking place.

According to UFC president Dana White it was Rousey's wish that she would not have to do any media obligations during fight week and he ultimately granted her request.

It doesn’t show it in this gif. But when Dana says “something something thank you”. Ronda took a cpl steps backward so quickly she actually took herself right out of the camera shot. It was just weird. It was the most un-Ronda like thing I’d ever seen her do. Then she turned around and quickly walked off the stage.

Didn’t even do the little “Give us your thoughts on the fight tomorrow night” thing with Rogan.

I knew right then Ronda was 99.99% fucked.

1700823614878.gif

I don’t know how to timestamp on mobile. But Ronda comes out from the back at about 24:30. If you watch you’ll see how bizarre it was.

Or look at Conor. Always cocky as fuck, and just a real asshole leading up to his fights. Talking shit, etc..

Do you remember the face off with Khabib in the octagon? Conor couldn’t even look Khabib in the eye. I knew right then the fight was already over.

I was about 90% sure Khabib was going to win. The face off made me 99.99% sure.

1700823049746.gif

Or Megan Anderson before her fight with Amanda. They always show the fighters of title fights, and ME arriving at the venue. Anderson looked like a condemned prisoner walking the last mile. It was a self fulfilling prophecy..

1700822121058.gif

GSP respected Hughes a little too much in their first fight. Because GSP was the better fighter. But he psyched himself out. I think that may have been what happened with Gane in regards to fighting Jones.

It’s not necessarily how great someone might be. It can be a lack of belief in oneself sometimes that makes these fights a lot easier than they could/should have been, imo.

1700829428512.gif

One of the worst performances in recent history. Similar to when Blaydes decided to strike with Pavlovich instead of spamming takedowns.
Tbf I'm not sure why people are making Spivak out to be some kind of wrestler or elite takedown artist. They were before the Gane fight as well.

Spivak is a slow lumbering heavyweight that isn't an athlete, but more importantly than that he's a judo guy.

If he can't effectively close the distance and wrap his arms around you he just isn't equipped to get you to the ground.

The few times he did shoot on Cyril he had to shoot from range because Gane was keeping him at the end of his punches and Spivak is not a good wrestler.

He was able to take Lewis down with a big hip toss because he was able to grab a hold of him, he also got in on Aspinall as well but Aspinall threw him off like he was a kid and kneed and elbowed him to Bolivian.

He was closing the distance and did nothing but choose to strike. One takedown attempt the entire fight. https://fullfights.net/ufc-fight-ni...rghei-spivac-september-01-2023_e745b529c.html
Yeah I agree. I'm not saying he had a good gameplan, though Gane's offense obviously played a part in shutting him down.

I'm saying Spivak isn't a great wrestler or takedown artist anyway and he never was. People making him out to be Gane's kryptonite is and was laughable. There are way worse matchups for Gane in the division. Aspinall, Almeida, even Blaydes if he doesn't have a brainfart and decide to not wrestle at all against strikers which he is prone to doing.

It wasn’t that long ago that Gane was touted as some new breed of HW that can move like a LW, that can strike as well as grapple. It was no different to what people are now saying about Aspinall.

It wasn’t that long ago that Gane was touted as some new breed of HW that can move like a LW, that can strike as well as grapple. It was no different to what people are now saying about Aspinall.
To be fair people are still saying that.

He does move really well for a heavyweight but comparing his speed to Aspinall's like people are is way off.

Gane moves like a really good 205er. Aspinall moves better than a lot of lightweights.

Gane has excellent footwork, Aspinall has excellent footwork but also foot speed and hand speed, neither of which Gane really possesses.

Don't remember anybody saying he was well rounded or his grappling was high level though. If they were I'm sure it stopped after the Francis fight. I know he subbed Don'Tale Mayes, but let's be real, not trying to be mean but Don'Tale Mayes sucks.

Aspinall is different in that his base is grappling. He started off with BJJ and added everything else to his game.

He is clearly very talented. Other HW's don't strike like that.
Ngannou fight was dissapoiniting, but it was close and shows that he belongs at that level.
Jones loss was admittedly embarassing. At the same time most fighters, esp HWs, have at least one performance where they get completely clowned

He is clearly very talented. Other HW's don't strike like that.
Ngannou fight was dissapoiniting, but it was close and shows that he belongs at that level.
Jones loss was admittedly embarassing. At the same time most fighters, esp HWs, have at least one performance where they get completely clowned
I feel like he's got the start of a great skill set, great control of range and a great jab but he's had it so easy in todays HW division outside of his loses that he's not really had to evolve beyond that, never had to devolp his grappling or counter punch power because he could just pick away for the win so easily.

Watching Francis against Fury does I think give a lot of credibility to the injury being a big factor in that match and really thats classic UFC tactics, pushing a fighter who maybe on the way out to fight injured.

One of the worst performances in recent history. Similar to when Blaydes decided to strike with Pavlovich instead of spamming takedowns.
He did try several times, Gane pushed him away every time. It's not as easy as people think it is. Blaydes only tried once after already being rocked and that fight only lasted less than 1 round. Spivak had a lot of time. Gane kept on moving and shoving him off. Ngannou found very good moments to take him down while Jones made it look easy. Maybe he got lucky... but he is Jon Jones after all. It's clear that, with the right motivation, he is the best to ever do it.

He did try several times, Gane pushed him away every time. It's not as easy as people think it is. Blaydes only tried once after already being rocked and that fight only lasted less than 1 round. Spivak had a lot of time. Gane kept on moving and shoving him off. Ngannou found very good moments to take him down while Jones made it look easy. Maybe he got lucky... but he is Jon Jones after all. It's clear that, with the right motivation, he is the best to ever do it.
Spivak is known for his throws, and everybody expected going into that fight that he was going to be attempting to clinch all night. He attempted a couple of slow ugly takedown attempts, and chose to let Gane stand right in front of him and tee off not even hardly trying to clinch.

Spivak and Blaydes both equally horrible performances.

Last edited:
losing to Nganou and the goat isn’t bad. The interims champ is 2-2 after fighting longer than 5 mins.
And you know those fights are comparable to John jones and Nganou.

So you missed the beating he put on his last opponent. Also the beating he put on Lewis.

In your efforts of shitting on Gane you exposed yourself as a filthy casual
He beats the fuck out of everyone he’s the most interesting hw to watch honestly, him and aspinall are the most skilled hands down

Spivak is known for his throws, and everybody expected going into that fight that he was going to be attempting to clinch all night. He attempted a couple of slow ugly takedown attempts, and chose to let Gane stand right in front of him and tee off not even hardly trying to clinch.

Spivak and Blaydes both equally horrible performances.
He tried to clinch several times. Gane kept pushing him away. Sloppy takedowns came after when his main gameplan was nullified. Gane forced him to fight his fight.

Spivak didn't want to strike with Gane. Blaydes chose to strike with Pavlovich. Blaydes lost because of a bad gameplan, Spivak lost because he got outclassed in there. In a rematch nothing would change, Gane just won't let him work in the clinch.

He lost to ONE KNEE Francis by getting wrestled to oblivion
We're talking about Francis fucking Ngannou here. Thiago Santos had even more fucked up knees and the GOAT Jon Jones performed worse against that injury than Gane did.

totally Quit against Jones.
Fair point. The only black mark on his career.

He barely beat Tuivasa.
He got rocked once. He owned every other moment of that fight and went on to KO Tuivasa. That's not "barely".

Also do you people forget that Gane got ko'd on the feet by Ngannou in Sparring?
You're bringing up a gym story? Really? If this was a significant point why couldn't Ngannou replicate that in the actual fight? Maybe he should have thrown a high kick again? Has he ever thrown one in an actual fight?

Even Gane did not deny it, but tried to play it down that he was only rocked by Francis when they sparred.
He called him a liar to his face.

And last but not least, watch the training footage between him and MW striker Imavov, he gets take down at will by Imavov all the time.
I assume you are talking about the light sparring they did where Gane was helping Imavov prepare for his upcoming fight. Do you think he was fighting there? That's about as real as the footage of Ronda and other female fighters sparring with men.

Still a mystery what people see in Gane, he doesn't bring anything to the table other than a Jab and footwork.
If that's all he brings it's more of an insult to the heavyweight division that he's the best striker in it and no one else has been able to figure him out on the feet, not even the guy who just took the p4p great boxing champ to a split decision.

Why are there so many Gane bashing threads the last day or two?

Is it all one person making thread after thread?

He tried to clinch several times. Gane kept pushing him away. Sloppy takedowns came after when his main gameplan was nullified. Gane forced him to fight his fight.

Spivak didn't want to strike with Gane. Blaydes chose to strike with Pavlovich. Blaydes lost because of a bad gameplan, Spivak lost because he got outclassed in there. In a rematch nothing would change, Gane just won't let him work in the clinch.
"several times" must mean three times, because that's the total number including the takedowns. He literally stood there and let Gane tee off without attempting anything.

I still like em but he needs to beat Almeida or blaydes or I'll always think he's too one dimensional. If he still has wrestling holes in his game then it's kind of sad and undeserving of another TS.

Back