Had to use my BJJ/MMA skillz to stop a 2 on 1 fight/assault last night.....

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.

because not everyone is a coward. don't take this hard. there are plenty of places that need cowards. so get in where you fit in.

TS good job, although i would have KO gamed that first dude and then soccer kicked the dread guy off of the other dude. and then soccer kick the dread guy some more.

If even one of them called the police then that person did all he/she is obligated to do in such a situation.

Stepping into a street fight is a no-no when it comes to legal ramifications and an unknown when it comes to ethical ramifications.

The legal thing should be obvious and I won't bother to touch it.

As for ethics, you have no idea who was the aggressor, just that two people were fighting and then later a friend stepped in and it became a 2v1. You had no idea why they were fighting either.

Kudos on using your BJJ skills in a fight. But I'm not entirely sure what you thought you achieved here besides showing your BJJ skills in a fight.

1st gen BJJ - old school principles
2nd gen BJJ - come at me bro principles
3rd gen BJJ - balanced principles (you and me).

Props, fuck the pseudo nice dudes filling up the gyms. Guarantee TS is one of them

because not everyone is a coward. don't take this hard. there are plenty of places that need cowards. so get in where you fit in.

TS good job, although i would have KO gamed that first dude and then soccer kicked the dread guy off of the other dude. and then soccer kick the dread guy some more.

And you would be arrested for assaulting people.

Congrats!

If someone jumped one of my friends I would jump in, if it was my family I'd even use a weapon. I'm not a coward, just we have different principles. I'm more honest with my aggression. No I'm not advocating pulling out blades, but take your pseudo 'coward' bullshit and fuck off with it, you're projecting.

The world needs balance. You're saying 'coward' as thinking what you're doing is 'brave', it's not like that. It's stupid.

IF you applied that aggression (blindly KO'd and soccer kicked) those 2 guys and they were hypothetically my brothers and in the aforementioned situation in my previous post (raping a female), I would stab you.

Props for TS for stepping in. TS took a risk but he probably saved that guy's life.

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.

If even one of them called the police then that person did all he/she is obligated to do in such a situation.

Stepping into a street fight is a no-no when it comes to legal ramifications and an unknown when it comes to ethical ramifications.

The legal thing should be obvious and I won't bother to touch it.

As for ethics, you have no idea who was the aggressor, just that two people were fighting and then later a friend stepped in and it became a 2v1. You had no idea why they were fighting either.

Kudos on using your BJJ skills in a fight. But I'm not entirely sure what you thought you achieved here besides showing your BJJ skills in a fight.

Agreed with these two gentlemen.

If this ended up being a more serious altercation (paralysis, death, etc...), and this went to court, TS would have been raped hard. Was this Cali? If so, he'd get raped extra hard.

Courts, and Cali in particular, have never been overly merciful towards martial artists using their skills outside of training areas.

Agreed with these two gentlemen.

If this ended up being a more serious altercation (paralysis, death, etc...), and this went to court, TS would have been raped hard. Was this Cali? If so, he'd get raped extra hard.

Courts, and Cali in particular, have never been overly merciful towards martial artists using their skills outside of training areas.

So then what you wait until after the two guys stomp on his head?

You want until someone is mamed, or paralyzed?

I'm not saying that it's def a good idea to break up street fights, I'm not saying you should absolute avoid helping someone in a fight either.

Just saying it's not cut and dry either way. Maybe he could have gotten stabbed. Maybe the guy would have gotten his ear bitten off and died from infection if he didn't intervene.

I don't have an easy time choosing either side.

So then what you wait until after the two guys stomp on his head?

You want until someone is mamed, or paralyzed?

I'm not saying that it's def a good idea to break up street fights, I'm not saying you should absolute avoid helping someone in a fight either.

Just saying it's not cut and dry either way. Maybe he could have gotten stabbed. Maybe the guy would have gotten his ear bitten off and died from infection if he didn't intervene.

I don't have an easy time choosing either side.

Died from infection of a biten ear? either they were zombies or you have been watching game of thrones lately.

He is not a cop so applying a RNC seems to be the thing that can put you in danger (legal consequences or maybe the guy has a knife), a simply low kick from a trained man to someone that doesnt seems it coming is more than enough to take the fight out of anyone.

I once got into a similar altercation, but i had a bat in the car and i came with the bat, turns out the guy they were "assaulting" was a drugged up friend who became extremely violent and they were trying to stop him.

So yeah, good thing i didnt hit anybody.

EE060E124D254C72942FF7A7DBAB68CE.jpg

He did the right thing.

I would like to jump in too but the problem is that you could get in trouble with the law yourself. Witnesses have a tendency to see whatever they want to see so I do not blame the people for not stepping. I think the good Samaritan laws should also apply to street violence other wise you will have a pregnant woman getting beaten and mugged in broad day light while everyone else calls 911 and waits.

He did the right thing.

I would like to jump in too but the problem is that you could get in trouble with the law yourself. Witnesses have a tendency to see whatever they want to see so I do not blame the people for not stepping. I think the good Samaritan laws should also apply to street violence other wise you will have a pregnant woman getting beaten and mugged in broad day light while everyone else calls 911 and waits.

thumbnailImage

Why put yourself at an unecesary risk? just come from behing and give him a good leg kick, no need to tell someone to calm down, you may never know how the might react.

This is the stupidest advice I've ever heard! That instigates and ups the response, I was trying to desculate the situation and stop more injury.

A lot of pure BJJ guys have this hard-on that they're Superman since they probably had issues with being bullied at one point... now they have self defense skills and feel the need to police the streets.

The reason I'm saying this TS is because I have a friend who seems eerily like you, loves internet forums as a (former) nerd, and got into BJJ. He's always sticking his mug in shit when we go out and it got him jumped by 7 guys once. You don't know the situation, nothing terrible was happening (involving major trauma or death), you're not getting a pat on the back for jumping in the middle. You did this for you, not for the guy fighting two guys.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and I couldn't be anymore different than your friend. I've been brought to step in and help out. Not to sit on the sideline. I've fought and bounced my whole life. Since well before my nerdy BJJ.

It was the same a few months back when a news helicopter cashed at the base of the Space Needle, 300 yards from me. Directly onto cars in traffic. I was one of the only guys/girls to run toward the accident and flames and attempt to help a victim out of a burning car while mostly 30+ people whipped out cell phones or stood in horror and shock.

I was brought up to act and help. It's just who I am.

This is the stupidest advice I've ever heard! That instigates and ups the response, I was trying to desculate the situation and stop more injury.

Err no, that actually drops someone on his ass and from all the experience i got someon suddenyl finding themselves in their ass, specially when they dont see it coming takes the fight out of anybody. Like putting a bag on a snake's head.

Suddenly being choked, now thats something that makes people flail like crazy, specially dangerous since both his hands are free.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and I couldn't be anymore different than your friend. I've been brought to step in and help out. Not to sit on the sideline. I've fought and bounced my whole life. Since well before my nerdy BJJ.

It was the same a few months back when a news helicopter cashed at the base of the Space Needle, 300 yards from me. Directly onto cars in traffic. I was one of the only guys/girls to run toward the accident and flames and attempt to help a victim out of a burning car while mostly 30+ people whipped out cell phones or stood in horror and shock.

I was brought up to act and help. It's just who I am.

The hero gotham deserves but no the one it needs right now.

I have to agree with the simple leg kick option. If you've ever trained kickboxing you know how much a leg kick hurts at 30% with no pads on. Imagine chopping through someones leg. It's always in my mind if I have to be in a street situation. It's simple, doesn't knock them out, but completely demolishes them. Unless this guy you've kicked is a K-1 kickboxer, expect him to fall over in agony.
One thing kicks have over jits on the street is you never have to put yourself near a weapon (bar a gun, but if you're dumb enough to kick a guy with a gun...come on).

This said, you shouldn't have intervened at all. I agree with what that guy's saying about how there's too many variables happening at once. What if that guy said something to those rasta's because he was with his girlfriend trying to puff his chest out? What if he had in fact attacked them in a situation with 10 people on 2 in a club earlier that week? I know for a fact that if I was beaten up by guys in a club one night for nothing, that if I saw one of them alone on the street it would be serious payback time.
There's too many uncontrolled variables man, wayyy too many to just be jumping in hero-ing everything.

No pics.....so I'm just going to assume you made it up.

Who just hands their dog over to a stranger? That's insanity

Back