Had to use my BJJ/MMA skillz to stop a 2 on 1 fight/assault last night.....

Title Fight Productions

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Quick story from yesterday before I headed out to dinner. Walking the dog by the beach and I hear the distinct sound of pre fight banter. "fuck you bro!", "come on mutha F'er", etc coming from a block up around a corner. I don't think much of it as that type of posturing happens a bit down by my beach in the summer, but soon after I hear the sounds of actualy fight.

I head that way to see what's up and as I come around the corner there are two guys fighting one guy while his girlfriend yells and screams to stop. There are people standing all around, some on cell phones, some worriedly watching, but no one stepping in to stop it.

I hand my dogs leash over to a girl who is watching and ask her to watch my dog. I make My way across the street toward the fight. It's mainly one on one with a big guy in dreads getting the better of it while his buddy eggs him on. No big deal, mutual combat..one on one.

As I get closer the guy getting the worse of it starts to turn the tide and has the dreads dude pushed over a hedge and that's when the dread dudes friend steps in and pushes them both over onto the ground so his buddy in the dreads is on top and the guy starts kicking the guy while his buddy has full mount.
I kinda run up looking at the guy doing the kicking and say "that's enough"! He tells me to fuck off and continues on, right about this time the guy on bottom is starting to let out an awful scream!!

So I maneuver behind the kicker and apply a standing RNC hold and pull him back away from the fight telling him to calm down and I let him go. Eventually (10 seconds?) he calms down a little from struggling to get free and as I start to release my hold he starts struggling again, so I strengthen my hold, drop my hips, lean back and lift him slightly as i kick his legs out and slam him forward/sidewards on the ground. He pops back up and I give him a solid push kick to create distance and as he stumbles back I tell him again that "that's enough"!

Now I turn my attention on the fight and the guy on top has bit the other guys nose really bad from mount and is now nawing on his ear! The guy on bottom is struggling but has no skills to get back up.

So I grab the guy on top by his hood and belt and pull him off and jerk him to his side (kinda like a higher belt does to open someone's stubborn turtle). From there I go right into a strong knee on belly applying pressure by pulling up on his sweatshirt and I tell him "it's over! That's enough". He relaxes for some reason, his buddy is still yelling obsenities, the other guy is bleeding and in a bit of shock and his girlfriend is freaking the fuck out at his mangled nose and destroyed ear.

I release the knee on belly and let the guy with dreeds up, him and his buddy posture a bit but hear the sounds of sirens, I tell them one last time that's "it's over" and they run up the street and around the corner as the cops pull up.

This all happened very fast of course, but no one else stepped in to help! People were getting closer and I could tell wanted to but didn't have the guts? Or maybe they saw I had it under control? There were about 10 people standing there in horror, some on the phone with 911, some using phones to video, but no one else got hands on.

Was interesting how the BJJ/MMA moves were calm and came natural, also interesting how quickly things can go from mutual combat to life changing scares and injuries to someone's face.

The biting had results but wasn't fight ending like you may think, adrenaline had the guy all bloody ready to continue to defend/fight.

Knee on belly was very effective as I could control the guy while keeping an eye on his friend.

Also sucks how uninterested people were in stepping in to stop a 2 on 1 assault.

**thought about Berimbolo to back take, but I thought I spotted a needle on the ground**

Ended up having Chinese that night. Funny thing is my girl and son pulled up right as it ended to pick me up for dinner, so I had to explain to my kid (10yrs old wrestler/BJJ) what happened and had to listen to him go on about what I should of done differently, like duplex instead of trip, and half Nelson to knee on belly instead of belt grab, pull to knee on belly, etc.........

You didn't Cross Choke the guy from KoB with his own hoodie? I am disappoint.

So people weren't yelling worldstar the whole time?

You should have asked one of those losers to email to text you the video.

Also, are you sure the lava wasn't flowing at the time. I don't believe it, as there are lots of people who say Jiu jitsu doesn't work on the streets, especially against 2 on 1. You mean you didn't get kicked in the face by those guys? They weren't d-1 level wrestlers?

You didn't Cross Choke the guy from KoB with his own hoodie? I am disappoint.

We had a day in class where we wore old ass sweatshirts and jackets to class that we didn't care if they may have ripped. Gi jokes and grips translate at like 90%. Plus pulling a hoodie fully over someone's head like an old school hockey fight and then taking their back is amazingly simple

so what ended up happening after the cops got there?

We had a day in class where we wore old ass sweatshirts and jackets to class that we didn't care if they may have ripped. Gi jokes and grips translate at like 90%. Plus pulling a hoodie fully over someone's head like an old school hockey fight and then taking their back is amazingly simple

My flatmate (untrained) was drunk and tried to grapple me, he head locked me I took his back and as I was working my head out he grabbed the hood of my hoodie and pulled it up and over my head and somehow spun into my closed guard, there was about 15 seconds where I couldn't see shit and my arms were tied up trying to clear the fabric from my face, if it was a fight he could have teed off on me with strikes.

It was a pretty eye opening "street" scenario I hadn't considered.

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.

Why put yourself at an unecesary risk? just come from behing and give him a good leg kick, no need to tell someone to calm down, you may never know how the might react.

I don't believe it. In a real street fight, everyone is wearing tight shorts (which you cant grab) are shirtless and slippery and have Olympic wrestling skills with extensive no-gi training and lots and lots of MMA training.

Or just start yelling "GUN GUN GUN" and watch everyone run...including the 2 assholes jumping 1 guy.

Why put yourself at an unecesary risk? just come from behing and give him a good leg kick, no need to tell someone to calm down, you may never know how the might react.

A lot of pure BJJ guys have this hard-on that they're Superman since they probably had issues with being bullied at one point... now they have self defense skills and feel the need to police the streets.

The reason I'm saying this TS is because I have a friend who seems eerily like you, loves internet forums as a (former) nerd, and got into BJJ. He's always sticking his mug in shit when we go out and it got him jumped by 7 guys once. You don't know the situation, nothing terrible was happening (involving major trauma or death), you're not getting a pat on the back for jumping in the middle. You did this for you, not for the guy fighting two guys.

Even with sufficient Bjj/MMA training that can still be a sketchy situation for anyone trained or not so I applaud you for having the balls to step in and break it up.

Glad yu
Didnt berimbolo the big Rastas though.

Berimbolo in a street fight and f-12 will shit itself.

I'm with you ts, good job, although should've put to sleep the first guy.. Calm down mother fucker isn't going to cut it when the fight it's on already... To the guys saying he went all superman, he did what it was needed to do... If here was going to Be a gun involved probably would've happened already, and I hardly think ts Is such an idiot to do it in the middle of a Brazilian favela...

Never yell gun unless you have one. That might get you or someone there shot.

Great job, TFP. Hopefully the guy isn't too mangled. Biting someone's face off is just so wrong.

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.

Because all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing and with great power, comes great responsibility.

Because all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing and with great power, comes great responsibility.

See this is the shit I'm talking about, you base these situations off good and evil when the world is grey. Life is not Spider Man, you're not a hero.

If those two guys were going after this guy for raping/sleeping with one of their passed out sisters, would they still be evil? Is it like that? Probably not, but how do you or the TS know?

You guys are just pushing your aggression that you've learned in a new direction, fuck off.

Also sucks how uninterested people were in stepping in to stop a 2 on 1 assault.

If even one of them called the police then that person did all he/she is obligated to do in such a situation.

Stepping into a street fight is a no-no when it comes to legal ramifications and an unknown when it comes to ethical ramifications.

The legal thing should be obvious and I won't bother to touch it.

As for ethics, you have no idea who was the aggressor, just that two people were fighting and then later a friend stepped in and it became a 2v1. You had no idea why they were fighting either.

Kudos on using your BJJ skills in a fight. But I'm not entirely sure what you thought you achieved here besides showing your BJJ skills in a fight.

Back