Had to use my BJJ/MMA skillz to stop a 2 on 1 fight/assault last night.....

Intervening in a random street fight is a very dangerous thing to do. You don't even know the reasons why they were fighting - it might be a gang or drug related feud. And you could have been shot or even stabbed by one of their mates for intervening.

The only time I would ever intervene is if I saw someone being mugged in the street. Then there is a good reason to risk my life. But I would not risk my life if I saw two idiots fighting in the street.

That Salvatore Olivia video was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. Thanks whoever linked it.

TFP, you helped a stranger in need and you are OK. That is all that matters at the end of the day. Hopefully there will be no negative impact on you for your actions.

Fucking Alki Beach, lol. Where do those people even come from?

Intervening in a random street fight is a very dangerous thing to do. You don't even know the reasons why they were fighting - it might be a gang or drug related feud. And you could have been shot or even stabbed by one of their mates for intervening.

The only time I would ever intervene is if I saw someone being mugged in the street. Then there is a good reason to risk my life. But I would not risk my life if I saw two idiots fighting in the street.

Yeah, I suppose. But to me, enough was enough. They made there point, had gotten the better of fh guy. It was right next to my Condo and no one was stepping in when the situation turned toward serious damage and consequences.

It's not like I stepped in to stop the fight. I stepped in when the fight should of been over.

But honestly this thread was supposed to be more light hearted about the Jew-Jitz-ooh moves that worked.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and I couldn't be anymore different than your friend. I've been brought to step in and help out. Not to sit on the sideline. I've fought and bounced my whole life. Since well before my nerdy BJJ.

It was the same a few months back when a news helicopter cashed at the base of the Space Needle, 300 yards from me. Directly onto cars in traffic. I was one of the only guys/girls to run toward the accident and flames and attempt to help a victim out of a burning car while mostly 30+ people whipped out cell phones or stood in horror and shock.

I was brought up to act and help. It's just who I am.

I can respect this..I am the Same way...I try to help people when shit pops off; actually I try to calm shit down before it gets out of hand if I can.

I respect people who don't step in...or just call the cops...there are legal issues as well as the physical issues that may come as a result; that being said I know tons of people who refuse to help when shit happens, these same people complain about people not stepping in or how people are cowards for not helping THEIR families and friends.

Which I find incredibly hypocritical...you wont help anyone; but you have the nerve to get upset with people

You guys know the Kitty Genovese story as told below is a myth?

She got attacked by the same guy twice within 40 minutes- first time it happened, two people heard yelling, saw him touching her, then yelled at the guy and he ran back to his car. She was actually stabbed, didn't talk to anyone then slowly stumbled back to her building which took a while. The stabber followed her there and shoved her into a vestibule in the building, stabbed her some more, then raped her. Neighbors heard commotion and rushed to her help.

Basically, a woman was stabbed and driven into shock/incoherence and it wasn't immediately clear that she needed help to most of the people who saw her and when they did, they went to help her in some form.

However, there were two people that clearly saw one of the two attacks and did nothing. One guy went to take a nap after her first stabbing and the other shut the door he'd opened onto her second stabbing. Link: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/03/10/140310crbo_books_lemann?currentPage=all

thumbnailImage

Kudos to you sir. The fact that the altercation ended with no serious injuries and the fact that you did not face any legal ramifications means you executed your intentions perfectly. No shouldve/couldve/wouldve's here. And i've also been very curious to see how KOB would work in a real life situation.

Berimbolo ? I thought you were standing most of the time ? There's actually a standing berimbolo sweep ? o_O

I had to stop a fight a few weeks back while off duty on my lunch break from the PD. Had to attend some bullshit "workplace harassment" training. Went to get lunch down the street and pull into the lot.

Two 40-50 year olds are about to throw down in the middle of the lot over a parking dispute. They are now causing enough of a disturbance to impede traffic. When it looked like they were about to come to blow, I pulled my badge and yelled something to the effect of break it up before you go to jail. They went their separate ways.

Had they not, I had my jiu jitsu, a pepper spray canister in my car, handcuffs and a gun if someone introduced a weapon. Luckily didn't need any of it. Ruined my lunch break and then had to call my boss to see if I needed to make a report.

If those two guys were going after this guy for raping/sleeping with one of their passed out sisters, would they still be evil? Is it like that?
It's not about the nature of the perpetrators morality, nor about punishing them for some essential flaw of character. It's about stopping an assault, regardless of who started it or who deserved it. If he stopped good guys from doing something bad or bad guys from doing something bad doesn't really matter.

TS did this, first by trying to deescalate, and when he had to take further action, he did this without hurting anybody. Props.

It's not about the nature of the perpetrators morality, nor about punishing them for some essential flaw of character. It's about stopping an assault, regardless of who started it or who deserved it. If he stopped good guys from doing something bad or bad guys from doing something bad doesn't really matter.

TS did this, first by trying to deescalate, and when he had to take further action, he did this without hurting anybody. Props.

Assaulting an assaulter makes you an just as equally liable as an assaulter. The world doesn't need vigilantism. It's a good thing what he did, but anyone could've made it a much worse situation. Legally, he's in the shit.

TS great job. You took a big risk and it might not have been the smart thing to do, but you may have saved someone's life.

I was in a similar situation. Walking my dog, saw a big asshole beating up a little guy. Little guy wasn't even defending himself. I didn't know what to do with my dog. It was split-second thinking, but I knew if I took my tiny terrier into a fight she'd go mental trying to protect me and probably get herself injured.

So I tied her to a post, ran over to the guys and pushed the big guy away. He pushed me, I told him to take off. He spouted a lot of aggressive insults, but started walking away. The fucker kicked my dog as he passed her. Then he bolted. I ran over to my dog to see if she was okay and it would have been stupid to chase him down and beat the shit out of him (I'd probably wind up in prison), but to this day I'm still furious.

I loved that dog. She died of old age a few years later.

Assaulting an assaulter makes you an just as equally liable as an assaulter. The world doesn't need vigilantism. It's a good thing what he did, but anyone could've made it a much worse situation. Legally, he's in the shit.
Stopping an assault you randomly happen upon isn't vigilantism. The world doesn't need vigilantism because the term refers to punishing criminals illegaly. The world definitely needs more people who cares about what happens to the people around them.

I have no idea about the liability side, but I hope you're dead wrong on this one. Stopping somebody from getting stomped (or getting his face bitten off) should always be the right thing to do, and his use of force seems very appropriate from his description.

I'd like you to provide a source for that. In Canada you can perform a citizen's arrest on anyone committing a crime or having freshly committed a crime and is in pursuit by proper authorities (ie. you see someone running from the cops you can help catch the guy, even if you didn't see the crime).

From the Canadian justice website:

The law allows you to use as much force as is necessary for the purpose of making a citizen's arrest, as long as you are acting on reasonable grounds. However, any force you use must be tailored to the circumstances, and you are criminally responsible for any excess force you use. In addition to the potential for a criminal prosecution, you may also face a civil lawsuit in relation to your conduct and any injury you cause.

I would expect America to have some pretty lose laws in this regard.

I'd like you to provide a source for that. In Canada you can perform a citizen's arrest on anyone committing a crime or having freshly committed a crime and is in pursuit by proper authorities (ie. you see someone running from the cops you can help catch the guy, even if you didn't see the crime).

From the Canadian justice website:

I would expect America to have some pretty lose laws in this regard.

I said the way he handled it was good, but it only takes one knockout or one accidental injury to turn you into the aggressor.

Sounds like you did a good thing. Kudos.

Also, I'm sure the armchair quarterbacks in this thread would all have executed their superior game plans with unwavering clarity in the heat of the moment. :rolleyes:

Kudos to you sir. The fact that the altercation ended with no serious injuries and the fact that you did not face any legal ramifications means you executed your intentions perfectly. No shouldve/couldve/wouldve's here. And i've also been very curious to see how KOB would work in a real life situation.

It actually really well because I could somewhat subdue the guy will also having posture and keep an eye on the other guy or other possible dangers.

I think the Dreaded dude at that point realized the figh was over and he submitted to the position pretty easily. Not sure if it was the pressure or if he adrenaline was wearing off. Or if it was just your classic bully in a strong position is strong but bully in an inferior position is meek?

After I let him up and he was next to his buddy they started barking again as they headed down the street and I did my best to talk the girlfriend out of following them to confront them as I held her back.

But yeah, in my experience, standing RNC and NOB work well in the street. I've use standing RNC a lot.

Back