Had to use my BJJ/MMA skillz to stop a 2 on 1 fight/assault last night.....

you went to the ground and didnt get stabbed or shot?? at the very least you probably have aids now so best go get tested

TS, you did the best you could given the situation and the guy who was being bitten owes you a debt of gratitude.

I've been brought to step in and help out. Not to sit on the sideline. I've fought and bounced my whole life. Since well before my nerdy BJJ.

It was the same a few months back when a news helicopter cashed at the base of the Space Needle, 300 yards from me. Directly onto cars in traffic. I was one of the only guys/girls to run toward the accident and flames and attempt to help a victim out of a burning car while mostly 30+ people whipped out cell phones or stood in horror and shock.

I was brought up to act and help. It's just who I am.
Bravo

:icon_arroI thought this was the grappling forum??:icon_arro
i would have KO gamed that first dude and then soccer kicked the dread guy off of the other dude. and then soccer kick the dread guy some more.

I have to agree with the simple leg kick option. If you've ever trained kickboxing you know how much a leg kick hurts at 30% with no pads on. Imagine chopping through someones leg. It's always in my mind if I have to be in a street situation. It's simple, doesn't knock them out, but completely demolishes them. Unless this guy you've kicked is a K-1 kickboxer, expect him to fall over in agony.

just come from behing and give him a good leg kick, no need to tell someone to calm down, you may never know how the might react.
IMO, these days and certainly this situation you must assume your being video'd..

And you would be arrested for assaulting people.
Let alone escalating the situation...

One thing kicks have over jits on the street is you never have to put yourself near a weapon (bar a gun, but if you're dumb enough to kick a guy with a gun...come on).
Have you thought this through.....?

Because all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing and with great power, comes great responsibility.

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.
What?? there is and never has been some mentality in bjj that you should get involved in street fights. It just so happens in this case the TS did and had bjj/mma training and it worked out well for him.

To be honest in both circumstances after the fact I did feel like the risk vs reward was lopsided, I do have a family, a son, responsibilities, etc. But at the end of he day society needs people who act. People who are interested in the better of the whole. I've always been that way, even way back in grade school I was always fighting for those who couldn't or wouldn't.

If someone jumped one of my friends I would jump in, if it was my family I'd even use a weapon. I'm not a coward, just we have different principles. I'm more honest with my aggression. No I'm not advocating pulling out blades, but take your pseudo 'coward' bullshit and fuck off with it, you're projecting.

The world needs balance. You're saying 'coward' as thinking what you're doing is 'brave', it's not like that. It's stupid.

IF you applied that aggression (blindly KO'd and soccer kicked) those 2 guys and they were hypothetically my brothers and in the aforementioned situation in my previous post (raping a female), I would stab you.

Wait... you spout all this bullshit about op being on some macho power trip and then you start talking about how you would stab him...?

OP waited until the fight was clearly escalating into a 2on1 beating (the second dude was soccer kicking the downed man, with his buddy on top) before he risked stepping in, he didnt blindly rush in.

Then you somehow proceed to judge op as some fake nice guy with aggression issues, I have no idea where you get this from or how you can judge someone you dont know like this.

Op did the morally right thing, didnt use any more force than necessary and saved someone from undue harm. Yeah maybe the guy was a rapist, but maybe he wasnt. If he wasnt then good, if he was, there's always later.

Wait... you spout all this bullshit about op being on some macho power trip and then you start talking about how you would stab him...?

OP waited until the fight was clearly escalating into a 2on1 beating (the second dude was soccer kicking the downed man, with his buddy on top) before he risked stepping in, he didnt blindly rush in.

Then you somehow proceed to judge op as some fake nice guy with aggression issues, I have no idea where you get this from or how you can judge someone you dont know like this.

Op did the morally right thing, didnt use any more force than necessary and saved someone from undue harm. Yeah maybe the guy was a rapist, but maybe he wasnt. If he wasnt then good, if he was, there's always later.

I get the impression that a lot of the negative responses were by people who didn't closely read the OP. Some were saying that unless someone is in serious danger, being maimed, etc then you should not step in.

Apparently they did not read the part about the guy with dreads chewing on the other guy's nose and ear while his friend soccer kicked him in the head.

I get the impression that a lot of the negative responses were by people who didn't closely read the OP. Some were saying that unless someone is in serious danger, being maimed, etc then you should not step in.

Apparently they did not read the part about the guy with dreads chewing on the other guy's nose and ear while his friend soccer kicked him in the head.

Yeah you are probably right, I got a little bit of the same feeling from his first post.

You say that a little nonchalantly.

I don't know, I'm not a terribly emotional person, maybe it's me and something just doesn't click in my head, but it's the way I view situations like this. If my family was attacked under any circumstance, I would use any means necessary to subdue who's attacking them, including weapons. Especially if I viewed that they were in the right and an unknown 3rd party jumped in and was attacking them.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and I couldn't be anymore different than your friend. I've been brought to step in and help out. Not to sit on the sideline. I've fought and bounced my whole life. Since well before my nerdy BJJ.

It was the same a few months back when a news helicopter cashed at the base of the Space Needle, 300 yards from me. Directly onto cars in traffic. I was one of the only guys/girls to run toward the accident and flames and attempt to help a victim out of a burning car while mostly 30+ people whipped out cell phones or stood in horror and shock.

I was brought up to act and help. It's just who I am.

I'm sorry for getting testy earlier in the thread, maybe you are a good guy and I'm projecting my personal mindset and experiences on you. Honestly, maybe it's the way I was raised, but unless it was something I had a personal stake in or obviously morally wrong (2 men and a woman for example), to stay out of it. Granted, I'm not talking about car accidents and such, then I would have (and have in the past) helped, but street fights are different. Who knows how that situation came to be, ethically I think I have no say in the matter. Just who I am and I don't personally think you and I are right/wrong, just varying opinions.

...and the person who posted that comic, I tend to think a street fight between young males is different than a woman being raped and killed but hey what the fuck do I know.

You say that a little nonchalantly.

I don't know, I'm not a terribly emotional person, maybe it's me and something just doesn't click in my head, but it's the way I view situations like this. If my family was attacked under any circumstance, I would use any means necessary to subdue who's attacking them, including weapons. Especially if I viewed that they were in the right and an unknown 3rd party jumped in and was attacking them.

I'm sorry for getting testy earlier in the thread, maybe you are a good guy and I'm projecting my personal mindset and experiences on you. Honestly, maybe it's the way I was raised, but unless it was something I had a personal stake in or obviously morally wrong (2 men and a woman for example), to stay out of it. Granted, I'm not talking about car accidents and such, then I would have (and have in the past) helped, but street fights are different. Who knows how that situation came to be, ethically I think I have no say in the matter. Just who I am and I don't personally think you and I are right/wrong, just varying opinions.
I respect that mindset (minding your own business, fight could be justified etc), just need to realize that what you deem as the line for obviously wrong (2 guys beating up a girl), might not be the same line for others (any 2on1 would be the line for me, for instance, doesnt matter if the 1 is a man or woman).

And the rape comment being said nonchalantly, well what I meant to convey was this:

If he is a rapist and I stop the fight now, well they have the opportunity to tell me, or to find him later.

If he isnt a rapist and he geta beaten into a pulp there is no "later".

To be honest in both circumstances after the fact I did feel like the risk vs reward was lopsided, I do have a family, a son, responsibilities, etc. But at the end of he day society needs people who act. People who are interested in the better of the whole. I've always been that way, even way back in grade school I was always fighting for those who couldn't or wouldn't.

See I would understand if you were sticking up against a bully as an unknown third party, I'm not debating that. I'm saying, how do you know that this guy getting jumped wasn't saying inflammatory racist shit (which got my friend jumped, he's white and I'm mixed btw), or a rapist, etc...?

I just don't see the connection you guys are making to morality. I'm not saying don't help in a disaster (murder, rape, car crash, burning building, etc...)... I'm just saying street fights are a bit more complex than that. Maybe the guy shouldn't have been biting, but have you ever wondered what made that guy decide to bite dude?

See I would understand if you were sticking up against a bully as an unknown third party, I'm not debating that. I'm saying, how do you know that this guy getting jumped wasn't saying inflammatory racist shit (which got my friend jumped, he's white and I'm mixed btw), or a rapist, etc...?

I just don't see the connection you guys are making to morality. I'm not saying don't help in a disaster (murder, rape, car crash, burning building, etc...)... I'm just saying street fights are a bit more complex than that. Maybe the guy shouldn't have been biting, but have you ever wondered what made that guy decide to bite dude?

I cant think of a single situation where biting someone you have mounted is a necessary or justified move...

I cant think of a single situation where biting someone you have mounted is a necessary or justified move...

See, I can think of situations where a dude deserves to get bit. Not maimed for life, but some people need the stick to learn. Literally, the stick in it's purest form.

Agreed with these two gentlemen.

If this ended up being a more serious altercation (paralysis, death, etc...), and this went to court, TS would have been raped hard. Was this Cali? If so, he'd get raped extra hard.

Courts, and Cali in particular, have never been overly merciful towards martial artists using their skills outside of training areas.

Not Cali, in a state with mutual combat laws.

Stuff like this only sounds good if you live. It's exceedingly foolish to run into a dangerous situation without proper training. If you're injured or killed, you just increase the workload for the people who are trained to handle situations like that.

However, people who stand around filming shit on their cellphones out are jackasses and need to just go home.

I love that if a guy "may have" said something racist he deserves that kind of a beating by two of them (typical) since one wasn't enough.

You did good TS.

Idk why all you BJJ guys insist on getting into the middle of street fights, same thing I told all the guys I roll with. Use it if you're attacked, unless it's some nasty savage shit, stay out of it. Some 2 on 1 in a crowded area? I mean, yeah it's cheap but was the guy getting his head openly stomped hard? Was he passed out and on the verge of brain damage? What were they fighting over?

Do this in the wrong area and you're gonna get poked by one of the guys standing and watching. If you have a kid and a girlfriend, think about them before playing Rambo in the streets. Know I'm gonna get flamed for it but it's true, mind your business.

Good thing everyone isn't a total piece of crap and have the courage to step in to help someone getting their nose bitten off. Only a total coward and immoral person would just stand there and watch a guy be killed/seriously injured.

Stuff like this only sounds good if you live. It's exceedingly foolish to run into a dangerous situation without proper training. If you're injured or killed, you just increase the workload for the people who are trained to handle situations like that.

However, people who stand around filming shit on their cellphones out are jackasses and need to just go home.

I agree. It's an interesting situation for sure. And retrospect does crazy things to your mind! But the simple fact was that I watched a helicopter attempt to takeoff from the top of a building, then crash down onto the morning commute below, fire and explosions and whatnot! Cars on fire, people stumbling out of burning cars.

You don't have a lot of time to think, infact you just kinda react. I was very surprised at the daze I was in as I ran down toward the scene. One person was left stuck in the car the helicopter landed on.

Of course it was crazy and a bit stupid/reckless, but people were dying!!!

Good thing everyone isn't a total piece of crap and have the courage to step in to help someone getting their nose bitten off. Only a total coward and immoral person would just stand there and watch a guy be killed/seriously injured.

Read all my posts first before you reply.

I don't know... like I said maybe I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Back