Gym idiots thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started resistance training, I was at a gym that had nautilus machines (I didn't know any better). I was on the decline chest fly thingy and went for one more rep, but instead of using my arms and chest, I pushed with my head and ended up spraining my neck.

Keep in mind I live in Cyprus and the most common choice of shoe is flip flops, crocs or sandals.
I jumped on the treadmill for my usual 10 min warm up and the guy next me is power walking on incline in his flip flops. Glanced over and he had walked over 6 km in them....

Last edited:
I met this girl in a gym once.

Now she owns my house.

I am stupider than anyone else.

So there.

<cries>

Was it an asian dude?

I've seen em' do that at mine.

/i saw him out of the corner of my eye and thought he was jerking off in front of the mirror.

lol yeah he was asian. must be a cultural thing. if asian sherdoggers would like to explain?

whats wrong with using a towel? its not like you style them is it?

I'm asian...I've never dried myself with a hair dryer at the gym, let alone down there lol.

Besides the lone squat rack being taken for curls, the only story I have was one of the regular giants telling me to squat in the smith machine for safety...I proceeded to do them in the squat rack and not make eye contact for the rest of my workout.

Oh Jesus, where to begin.

There's the guy that carries a 40lb DB with him everywhere he goes. Never does anything with it, just carries it around. At first I thought Farmers Walks but he only carries one, and it's not like he has to really work to walk around with it. This guy also wears a belt to do curls in the squat rack, and squats in the Smith Machine with his feet together.

There's the guy that brings his own attachments for the cable machines, even though the gym already has some that are exactly the same as his.

There's the people doing one-armed shrugs in the Smith Machine.

There's the guy that does pull-ups with about an inch of ROM.

There's the PT that tells me I'm "doing my rows wrong" just about every time I deadlift. Then again, this is the same PT that has her clients do their arm work while standing on one leg. Shame, she's pretty hot.

There's the guy that quarter-squats with his toes pointing in like this / \, despite everyone's best efforts to get him to stop before he destroys his knees.

Yeah, my gym is about a step above Planet Fitness. It's alright though, because I've done enough flirting with all the receptionists so that they all love me, so every time someone complains about me doing something I'm not supposed to (deadlift, oly lifts, use the Smith Machine as a ghetto GHR, use chalk, etc.), they don't give a shit and let me continue. :cool:

I started at a new gym a couple months ago and it has a great set up. Platforms, bumper plates, great squat racks, ect. So I figured I would see more like minded people lifting. Not likely. One guy comes in and does back and bi's. This consists of 3 sets of lat pull downs followed by an hour of biceps. I mean really? Things like this are all to common. There is a 70 year old though who still pulls over 400 lbs. Guy motivates me just by watching. Thats what I want to be when I am 70.

Can you explain how? My gym does not have one and I would love to start incorporating these. Thanks in advance.

Put the bar on one of the low hooks, put a bunch of weight on the bar and then put a bench in front of the bar. Kneel on the bench with your ankles hooked under the bar on the smith machine and then give it a go. These will be harder than with a true GHR bench.

There is a dude that wears a dip belt as a lifting belt for his cable curls. It must be his idea of a weight belt because he ties up the chains as to make it somewhat tight around his waist.

There is a dude that wears a dip belt as a lifting belt for his cable curls. It must be his idea of a weight belt because he ties up the chains as to make it somewhat tight around his waist.

gangsta'

Put the bar on one of the low hooks, put a bunch of weight on the bar and then put a bench in front of the bar. Kneel on the bench with your ankles hooked under the bar on the smith machine and then give it a go. These will be harder than with a true GHR bench.

Nice, thanks a lot. I can definitely see myself face planting though. I will make sure I try this during low traffic time to spare myself some embarrassment the first time.

We have 2 heavy punching bags at the gym I go to. A month or so back there was this dude going all MMA on one of them. He was charging in from a distance to throw a quick jab-cross combo (arm punches), he was shoving the bag... he was going all kinds of crazy... it was hilarious.

And as I was watching this, I was tempted to think to myself, "What an absolute douche". But then I thought, so what? Sure, he looks like a complete idiot doing it, but he's not hurting anyone and he seemed to be having a lot of fun.

It was very entertaining though.

stop making fun of me damnit, it's fun and it burns calories.

There's another thread like this at bb.com, funny stories in there too. I'd link but it keeps giving me the 404 error

I was working out at a commercial gym in my home town when I was on break for school, and I was doing deadlifts in the squat rack since there was no room anywhere else. When I started to take the weight plates off I felt the bar move laterally, but didn't think anything of it. 135 was on the bar and I figured I'd just clean it up to the pins and take the last 45s off up there. I cleaned it up, and one side felt way heavier than the other, so the bar leaned, then that 45 fell off, then all the weight was on the other side now so it did the same thing again.

I looked at the bar and the collar slid about 8 inches off and was just barely on the bar. I could pull the collar completely off the bar, too.

The gym was pretty busy so I had a lot of wierd looks from everyone in the dumbbell section.

My former gym was really ghetto, real cheap and it showed in it's audience. One time I was in the changing room, and the dude next to me put on a wife-beater and a really lame gold chain. Then another gold chain. Then a gold bracelet. I'm thinking "Jeez, where is this guy going? Collecting money from his hoes?" ... I was wrong, he was going in for his work-out. Dude put jewelry on for his routine. WTF?

My former gym was really ghetto, real cheap and it showed in it's audience. One time I was in the changing room, and the dude next to me put on a wife-beater and a really lame gold chain. Then another gold chain. Then a gold bracelet. I'm thinking "Jeez, where is this guy going? Collecting money from his hoes?" ... I was wrong, he was going in for his work-out. Dude put jewelry on for his routine. WTF?

FUCKING GANGSTA, YO. The collecting from hoes line had me cracking up.

I have nothing to contribute. Although lots of people have shit form at my gym there is a surprising amount of legit training going on for a university gym. I guess I'm lucky.

There's a guy at my gym with massive massive beach muscles

One time between sets, I was checking out the football game on tv...he says to me "scuse me young guy"

Apparently I was standing too close to his bench...in which he proceeded to bench 135lbs 20x... maybe 5 sets...

I mean, I saw him walk in...do the 5 sets...and leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back