Gym Idiots Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many idiots at my gym, including the trainers. I write up a weekly CF-style conditioning workout on a whiteboard at the gym, as a way to generate a bit of interest from potential clients. Anyway, one of the exercises in my last workout was dumbbell swings. One of the trainers asked me what I meant by that, and I told him it was like a kettlebell swing, but holding the end of a dumbbell, since our gym has no kettlebells. He said "oh okay, I thought it was more something like this" and proceeded to swing his arms back and forth outside his body, with a powerwalking-type motion. He said he normally does it with lighter dumbbells, while trying not to let his body move, in order to build "better functional core strength".

Sounds like there's more than one gym idiot involved, here.

There's a dude who goes to the Bonita Springs LA Fitness who will load up every plate loaded machine he gets on with as many plates as it can possibly hold, and do very dynamic 1" range of motion reps with it, just kind of bouncing the reps off of whatever rubber padding the machine has. Sometimes it'll get so violent that the plates will begin to vibrate off of the machine mid set. Does he stop? Hell no. badass.

There's a dude who goes to the Bonita Springs LA Fitness who will load up every plate loaded machine he gets on with as many plates as it can possibly hold, and do very dynamic 1" range of motion reps with it, just kind of bouncing the reps off of whatever rubber padding the machine has. Sometimes it'll get so violent that the plates will begin to vibrate off of the machine mid set. Does he stop? Hell no. badass.

312735_10150370360481783_564066782_8617522_1861716567_n.jpg

So not only do I have to watch them trying to do the correct thing but but failing miserably, I have to read a thread about them.....

1215144843WGY9VpW.jpg

So not only do I have to watch them trying to do the correct thing but but failing miserably, I have to read a thread about them.....

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/new-personal-favorite-idiot-gym-moment-610100/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/gym-idiots-thread-1856351/

This thread has started off well.

Carry on gentlemen.

edit: may as well add in my own gym story, had some guy doing power cleans and press (with god awful form of course) and some other gym bro comes up to him and suggests he use a thumbless/suicide grip...for cleans. Luckily I was finished with my workout so I got the hell out of there before someone died.

I've used a suicide grip for cleans. It cut out the middle man, I hate re-gripping the bar after a clean.

I've used a suicide grip for cleans. It cut out the middle man, I hate re-gripping the bar after a clean.

That happens naturally during the catch... :wink: And what did the bar do to your Wiener?

That happens naturally during the catch... :wink: And what did the bar do to your Wiener?

The re-gripping occurs naturally ?

My dicks good.

The re-gripping occurs naturally ?

My dicks good.

It happens naturally. And I meant he started off all his cleans with a suicide grip from the floor, this combined with the no-chalk policy of the gym and shitty knurling and I was understandably nervous (his reverse curl technique didn't help)

Also I must have missed it, what happened to your nether regions?

[YT]1ot9JtiHhiU[/YT]

There are many idiots at my gym, including the trainers. I write up a weekly CF-style conditioning workout on a whiteboard at the gym, as a way to generate a bit of interest from potential clients. Anyway, one of the exercises in my last workout was dumbbell swings. One of the trainers asked me what I meant by that, and I told him it was like a kettlebell swing, but holding the end of a dumbbell, since our gym has no kettlebells. He said "oh okay, I thought it was more something like this" and proceeded to swing his arms back and forth outside his body, with a powerwalking-type motion. He said he normally does it with lighter dumbbells, while trying not to let his body move, in order to build "better functional core strength".

I think my favorite part is that you are 5'10 and weigh 153 pounds and are trying to convince people you should train them.

It happens naturally. And I meant he started off all his cleans with a suicide grip from the floor, this combined with the no-chalk policy of the gym and shitty knurling and I was understandably nervous (his reverse curl technique didn't help)

Also I must have missed it, what happened to your nether regions?

I uppercutted my balls with the bar yesterday.

A local gym just opened. It has a "Functional core area" and it has "new toning and strength machines". It also has CF. I want to go for teh lulz.

I love the movie, but Conan was actually quoting Ghenghis Khan.:cool:

I read that a long time ago way before I saw the movie. I've always been a history nut. It just makes it more badass knowing that one of historys most badass conquerers said it first.

I love the movie, but Conan was actually quoting Ghenghis Khan.:cool:

You shut your lying mouth I know it's originally from genghis khan but I associate it with Conan, good times :cool:
I uppercutted my balls with the bar yesterday.

A local gym just opened. It has a "Functional core area" and it has "new toning and strength machines". It also has CF. I want to go for teh lulz.

Ah that sounds like fun, glad to hear everything's fine though. Also go to that functional area, take pics of the lulz. Unless there are hot chicks there.

In which case take vids.

Excuse me, I'm just checking your... form. Yeah, that's it.

That's the spirit, could also go with "I'm just looking at your well developed posterior chain, looks very functional"

I am quite fond of the posterior chain.

I read that a long time ago way before I saw the movie. I've always been a history nut. It just makes it more badass knowing that one of historys most badass conquerers said it first.

If you have'nt already, I highly recommend reading the Conqueror series of historical novels by Conn Iggulden. It tells the story of Ghenghis and his descendants. I'm currently on the fifth novel which deals with Kublai Khan.:cool:

Was on my light squat day for Madcow last week and had a guy curling in the squat rack next to me. While I'm resting in between sets he asked for a spot to barbell curl 115lbs.

I did it because I'm a nice guy and his goals are his afterall. But I did join this gym 2 years ago and I know he was curling the same weight then haha.

I just started my 2nd week of smolov jr on OHP today. And there were 2 kids in the rack next to me. One of them teaching the other how to front squat and clean. The front squats by the kid being taught, were maybe 6in. or so above parrallel, and he "racked" it almost on his biceps so he was almost losing it on every rep. The kid teaching him's response was "meh, close enough"

And then he had the kid do cleans... pulling with an extremely rounded back, doing an upright row, catching it in a military press position, and riding it down (again above parrallel). And again, the kid teaching him says "that's close enough".

Then the kid teaching him does some cleans ( think he had like 185 or so on the bar) And proceeds to do the exact same thing, except doing it with a rounded back. He got one or 2 reps. And then failed a couple of reps (because of absolutely zero hip "pop") After he was done I asked him if he wanted some advice on them.

His response was: "No, not at all. I know my form is terrible and don't intend to do anything about it" I stopped listening at this point, but he went on to say something about highschool... I"m assuming saying he was on a highschool lifting team, or something like that. But i honestly have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back