Guys who train, is it even possible to compete at this level w/o PEDs?

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by futuredave, Aug 13, 2015.

1. futuredave

futuredave Yellow Belt

With the news out about Anderson, I'm wondering if it's even possible to compete at this level w/o PEDs at some point.

I'm not talking about being natural for a fight or two. I'm talking about enduring the grind of year in, year out. Drug free.

It just does not seem possible that a human body can withstand the kind of intense training in all areas that these athletes require.

So, I'm interested to hear from guys who've actually trained intensely in these sports. Is it possible to be drug-free, at or near the top, and still have a long career.

2. Marc A

Marc A Being broke is being dishonest

Ill get attacked but without naming many fighters in the Cali region all of them use peds many take pain killers and the supplier is the same person for said peds so based on my experience no you can't compete at the highest levels without peds

3. Romulas

Romulas Orange Belt

I train w over a dozen high level guys. All are in WSOF, UFC or Bellator. I don't know anyone over 155lbs that isn't doing something questionable. I do know a few lighter guys that aren't on stuff.

The highest level guy are on stuff that we don't even know about. Like fly across the country to meet with a special doctor type stuff.

4. Abezal

Abezal Banned Banned

Fuck no.

Injuries alone pretty much force you do something not allowed.

I sparred with gsp at a seminar, first thing in my mind was hes on something or doing something so advanced its not illegal yet.

5. waiguoren

waiguoren Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Competitve grappler here. Trained with and competed against quite a few good MMA fighters.

It is possible to compete at the elite level without them. But it's really hard. It requires a highly intelligent approach to training to avoid injuries and to be able to out-smart the juicers.

Most use.

6. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

I know about 3 elite guys whom I don't suspect of any butt needles. The rest. Questionable.

7. riitzni

riitzni Silver Belt

Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    I would question everyone. There's a few I would be shocked to find out but Lyoto, Frankie, Ronda and Bendo would be people that I'd place money on. GSP and Fitch got me into the sport and one of them burned me bad so I don't know what to think anymore.

8. AJ Garcia

AJ Garcia Level 10 Keyboard warrior Professional Fighter

The human body isn't meant to fight for 25 minutes. When I see guys in wars or pushing an incredible pace for 25 minutes without looking tired at all, I kind of question it. I'm an amateur fighter, and I put on the same non stop type of pace, and I can barely breathe in my interview if it goes to a decision, and I'm in great shape, and only fight three minute rounds lol

9. Krimzon

Krimzon Brown Belt

the guys who claim to be training 6 days a week, 2 sessions per day at moderate-high intensity are probably on PEDs

10. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

All I know is that none of my favorite fighters use PED's

11. 120wrestling

120wrestling Brown Belt

It's possible but you wont stay there very long, as someone who trains it is disheartening to see people bash cain cause of his injuries because without PED's it's hard to stay at the level he is especially in a division with guys who can crush you with one punch. The whole training 2-3x a day 6 days a week is sooooo counter productive. A fighter I train with whos 3-0 in the pros trains once a day for 3 hours 5x a week..I think thats the way to go, whats the point of training 8 hours a day for 2 months for a 15 minute fight.

12. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Every pro fighter I know is on something. Not sure about everywhere else, but it's incredibly common here in Albuquerque.

13. barillas

barillas Anti-Marxist Belt

What tires more if we are talking of the same guys fighting at the same pace, a 12 round boxing fight or a 5 rounder mma one?

14. Sosua

Sosua Yeah nah

I would say MMA due to rounds being almost twice as long with taxing grappling exchanges.

But I'm sure PEDs are as or more prevalent in boxing.

15. damson

damson Banned Banned

i would say mma because grappling/wrestling is absolutely grueling.

16. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

Pls not Condit.

17. futuredave

futuredave Yellow Belt

If it's so prevalent and the sport really can't exist without it, why is there so much time and effort put into testing for it and banning guys?

18. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

I read about a new testing method on here a few months ago and if it works the way it is supposed to it will absolutely ruin sports.

19. Codpiece

Codpiece Not afraid to care

Mark Bocek sure seemed to think it was no longer possible, he even said you'd be stupid not to be on something in this era.

There are very few guys who would surprise me by testing positive.

20. blewgums

blewgums Vintage Buick Racing Bastard

Travelling, I work at many different ports
    I need steroids just to post on Sherdog.