Guys, let's talk about our yards!

August is tough...what state do you live in?

Prairie dog more like it!

<bball2>
Im in WA state. I did some heavy research (clicked the first article that popped up on the googler) and settled on carrots, raddish, lettuce, broccoli and something else i cant remember.
Id like to give my condolences to my garden ahead of time and may he rest in peace.

Im in WA state. I did some heavy research (clicked the first article that popped up on the googler) and settled on carrots, raddish, lettuce, broccoli and something else i cant remember.
Id like to give my condolences to my garden ahead of time and may he rest in peace.

Carrots are a tough crop but would work. The issue is they seem ready on the surface with a big bushy green part and then you pull up the carrot and the shit is like a jolly rancher. When in doubt, wait another three weeks.

The lawn is good though I miss the days when everyone could easily get proper weed killer around here. It's annoying when the one or two houses where they don't believe in weed removal and it ends up spreading everywhere.

The garden/plants is going on four years in a row of my wife promising that she will upkeep it and nagging me for having them. It's now the 4th consecutive year where I'm the one watering it every day and pulling the dead parts out..... also the 4th consecutive year where the plants in the front which get a tonne of sun have died early and her saying "But I just watered them three days ago".....

I am redoing my backyard and zeroscarping it with fake grass. It is a work in progress but should get most of the real work done before winter comes.

First step was to clean up and chop down a dead tree. I cut it and level the ground out

qVHRR3a.jpg

And then put a bunch of pavers in its place. They are lvled better now.
Pb0cvg5.jpg

And second was to add a new concrete slap for a nice BBQ and table place.
kXdui48.jpg

Tommorow I am going ground out the rest of the yard and plan out the layout for paver walks ways and fake grass. I am gonna replace the broken planks and paint and all that but doing it myself takes time. Shit is harder than I thought it be but I should be done in 2-3 weekends.

I thought I had it made when we moved to Arizona because there'd be no grass to keep cut. But weeds still grow up in between the stone & sand plus there are shrubs that need trimming & other odds & ends. So, we pay our gardener, Jose $120 every six weeks to come to take care of it all. I tried doing it myself the first month that we lived here & all I wound up with was a horrible sunburn & a wreck of a yard.

So, this isn't my work but this is what our yard looks like.
5c0f1eb1fe6e7ca32919fea611c6dc1b.jpg
601.jpg
Purple_Prickly_Pear_Opuntia_violaceae_santa-ritaFeb202C20042C2-05PM.jpg 35-bonita-ln-sedona-az-86336-16.jpg

I just built a stone fire pit and matching bench on my patio. Last month I put down 9 tons of decorative rock and 300 sq ft of sod.

Yesterday and today I flatten the earth and laid pavers.

sE55yvj.jpg

jgU3fIc.jpg

Gonna fill them and set them tomorrow and fill in the dirt spot with fake grass this week. I can't wait to be finish cause then been hard shit. My back hurts

I’ve got a huge house, with a 12 by 12 embarrassment of a lawn. At least it’s easy to mow.

Replace the gate cause pole were rotten and bout to fall over,
E2IGx7W.jpg

I still need add another plank and bottom support tommorow but the pole are cemented in and has no flex.
YfImuqJ.jpg

With this quarantine I am spending my weekends crushing yard work. I'm talking cleaning brush like Rambo, seeding the grass to ensure @Medulla Omoplata levels of green, and also mulching like those flower beds owed me money. Are you Sherbros doing extra yard work with this Covid mumbo jumbo holding us hostage? Talk about your yards you bunch of gardneing Nancies! I'm posting pics when I get home so don't call for a ban of the Ol' Naked Faced artist formerly known as Red beard.

Show me those bushes!

PICS ON PAGE 6!

Make sure you have a compost area in your garden. Plant lots of fruits especially tomatoes. Put in uni Stone in key areas. Paint your fence. Install lighting all around your garden. Then we can talk about a good Garden.

I cut down some tulip poplars, maples, silktree, winged sumac, chinese privet, honeysuckle and green briar down in my backyard. I plan to replace it with medlar, paw-paw, gooseberry and goji berry. There are passion fruit vines there as well but I didn't take advantage of it and put a trellis for them to climb on. Laast time I tasted them they didn't leave a good impression on me.

The overall plan is to have fruit during the summer and fall. Currently we have some fig trees which gives us fruit July-August, a pear which gives fruit September-October. The paw-paw, medlar, gojiberry and gooseberry all fall into a few different summer months. Overall if there does end up being too much fruit I'll just share it with friends and family. I have a small bed where I put down some Wine-cap mushroom spawn on straw and wood chips. Overall these are long term projects, perennial plants that only need pruning during the fall/winter and only need watering during one week out of the year where there is drought.

Yesterday and today I flatten the earth and laid pavers.

sE55yvj.jpg

jgU3fIc.jpg

Gonna fill them and set them tomorrow and fill in the dirt spot with fake grass this week. I can't wait to be finish cause then been hard shit. My back hurts

After doing a patio and a mini patio off my garage I feel like we are brothers. My back killed!!! Looks great though.

Got the grass in and pavers set.
pooF3Sp.jpg

Gonna get a fire pit next.

I love it man!

Coming along nicely man!

I’ve got a huge house, with a 12 by 12 embarrassment of a lawn. At least it’s easy to mow.

Is that 12 by 12 tight though?

Replace the gate cause pole were rotten and bout to fall over,
E2IGx7W.jpg

I still need add another plank and bottom support tommorow but the pole are cemented in and has no flex.
YfImuqJ.jpg

We want to put up a fence next year but realize it's a lot of work lol. It's a marathon.
Make sure you have a compost area in your garden. Plant lots of fruits especially tomatoes. Put in uni Stone in key areas. Paint your fence. Install lighting all around your garden. Then we can talk about a good Garden.

We are beginning man! Next year we will have 8 garden boxes.
I cut down some tulip poplars, maples, silktree, winged sumac, chinese privet, honeysuckle and green briar down in my backyard. I plan to replace it with medlar, paw-paw, gooseberry and goji berry. There are passion fruit vines there as well but I didn't take advantage of it and put a trellis for them to climb on. Laast time I tasted them they didn't leave a good impression on me.

The overall plan is to have fruit during the summer and fall. Currently we have some fig trees which gives us fruit July-August, a pear which gives fruit September-October. The paw-paw, medlar, gojiberry and gooseberry all fall into a few different summer months. Overall if there does end up being too much fruit I'll just share it with friends and family. I have a small bed where I put down some Wine-cap mushroom spawn on straw and wood chips. Overall these are long term projects, perennial plants that only need pruning during the fall/winter and only need watering during one week out of the year where there is drought.

I wish we could get fruit trees but NH is tough for that. We could get apples I suppose.

After doing a patio and a mini patio off my garage I feel like we are brothers. My back killed!!! Looks great though.

I love it man!

Coming along nicely man!

Is that 12 by 12 tight though?

We want to put up a fence next year but realize it's a lot of work lol. It's a marathon.

We are beginning man! Next year we will have 8 garden boxes.

I wish we could get fruit trees but NH is tough for that. We could get apples I suppose.

I think you could do fig trees for sure. You could plant them up to USDA zone 11 according to www.pfaf.org .

I thought I had it made when we moved to Arizona because there'd be no grass to keep cut. But weeds still grow up in between the stone & sand plus there are shrubs that need trimming & other odds & ends. So, we pay our gardener, Jose $120 every six weeks to come to take care of it all. I tried doing it myself the first month that we lived here & all I wound up with was a horrible sunburn & a wreck of a yard.

So, this isn't my work but this is what our yard looks like.
View attachment 801215
View attachment 801216
View attachment 801222 View attachment 801226

That purple cactus is pretty.

Back