Gus is so underrated it's ridiculous

Plenty of us give him credit and yes I agree he beat jones. I think at any given time he could beat anyone. He is just as good as DC and jones, top 3 in the world and IMO you can rotate those three with any of them being at number 1 or 3. Jones cheated so maybe him at 3.

these banned white belts keep coming back...

Pretty good boxing, but he's not underrated IMO. Would like to see him win again and get back on track.

Hah Gus had Rumble severely damaged up until he faked being poked in the eye. Cheap tactics, Rumble knew he was in trouble so he resorted to hitting Gus with a cheap headbutt when he wasn't ready for it.

You started the thread off slow but showed the troll in you with this bs

Edgar overlooked ? Man everyone favored him against an hypothetical fight againt Conor

He's not underrated. I think he's properly rated. A guy that didn't beat the upper tier presented to him.

Seriously guys, let's stop with the but he could have won or he did win but was robbed. He fucking lost. Had the chance to redeem himself twice after Jones by way of DC and Rumble but he lost. He's still a good fighter--get over it. Maybe he'll have his day under the sun, but right now he needs to climb himself out of the salt mines.

He lost to Bones
Lost to DC
and Rumble killed him

For me he's overrated and hype after close fight with Jones is too big.

It's hard to say someone is "Underrated" when all your points are "His loss" "That loss" "Could of easily not of lost" Regardless of how close it was, it was a loss. He is top 5 and from what I hear usually has a crowd of support when he fights. How is this underrated? Sounds like he is exactly where he should be. If he won anymore he'd be champ and have an even larger crowd. His abilities and talent are on a great level and he rivals anyone in the top 5, but, you're not going to be regarded as better than the rest when you're 2-3 in your last 5. He needs to focus up and get into it again.

Last edited:
Yall should stop arguing about the Rumble fight. I love them both damn it

I think he is underrated as well, but I was super disappointed with his boxing against Daniel fucking Cormier..... He should be able to outbox him in the rematch

Very well could have wins over two legends in the sport. I say give him an easy fight, then maybe one more before he gets a title shot.

He is yet to be beaten fair and square
Actually he lost all 3 of them fair & square, even if you think the scorecards were wrong against Jones he still definitely didn't beat DC or Rumble.

I like Gus but I find it a little difficult to call someone who has lost his 3 biggest fights ''underrated''. In fact its highly the opposite.

RUMBLE

Anyway I had hopes for Gus, but as people before me said, he's just a gatekeeper. People say it was close and robbed. Yes, only vs Jones it was close and he was not robbed. Rumble destroyed him. Cormier won 4 out of 5 rounds vs him. LOW FIGHT IQ GUS.

Come on.. DC didnt deserve to win 4 out of 5. Imo, Gus was slightly better in all of the middle rounds and it is pretty easy to argue unless you want to reward DC for walking forward or punish Gustafsson for turning his back and running. One judge didnt care about that and scored it 48-47 for Gus based on damage/significant strikes and takedowns. You rarely see a challenger winning 3 close rounds in a row in a championship fight, but Gus did enough to convince him. 4 rounds to DC? Nah, watch it again sometime, great fight.

Gus had kind of a same problem against Jones. It was very unlikely that at least two of the judges would have given Gustafsson rounds 1, 2 and 3, which would have made him the champion. The rounds were too close, at least for a challenger to get 3 in a row.

Gus being "just a gatekeeper".. I guess it depends your definition of the word, but he has been ranked top5 at LHW in the UFC since Sept.2013, and over a year of that time he was ranked second only behind Jones. He only has one top5 ranked win in his career (Shogun was ranked 4th.), but journalists and objective fans take into consideration of his wars against Jones and DC. They realize how easily he could have won both of those fights. They understand that all losses are not the same. They understand the skill level a fighter has to have for being able to fight 25 mins like that against Jones and DC. Its kind of silly how some posters here always try to ignore or deny that with some lame "lol, he doesnt even have top10 wins, he is so overrated" - type of arguments. Its just dumb.

PerkyPastAfricancivet.gif

I see the fair...but I don't see the...OH wait, there it is. Fair and square.

Not sure if serious.

While I do like Gus and think highly of him. He is not in a tricky place, his 1-3 record since 2013 looks worse than it is considering he fought a close fight with DC and Jones. At the same time he didn't look impressive against his top wins in Shogun and Jimi Manuwa

He controlled Manuwa the entire first round and proceeded to knock him out in the second, breaking his unbeaten record.... Yeah why the fuck didn't he impress you more? damn noob needs to work on his striking game... Your name almost suits you.

Him and Frankie Edgar are the most overlooked guys in the UFC

Pretty funny, I would have also said those two names. If Gus comes back injury free and mentally 100%, I would favor him in a rematch against DC and possibly against Rumble or about 50/50. Rumble is underrated aswell, especially his win over Gus is very underrated.

Pretty funny, I would have also said those two names. If Gus comes back injury free and mentally 100%, I would favor him in a rematch against DC and possibly against Rumble or about 50/50. Rumble is underrated aswell, especially his win over Gus is very underrated.
Disagree. Rumble isn't half the fighter Gus is. And a motivated Gus beats DC Jones and Rumble quite easily IMO.

Gus deserved a UD vs Jones.

Back