Gunnar Nelson gives Jedi-like wisdom on his approach to MMA

HerpDerp

ambitiously unambitious
@Black
Reaction score
Here's the article, by middleeasy.com.

You know your opponent’s goal is to beat you up, and at first it’s terrifying but when you get used to it your perspective changes. Some think rage can help you in the ring but it doesn’t – same goes for fear. You cannot be emotionally involved in the ring, because those feelings will get in the way.

To me, it’s important to train in an environment where I am comfortable. Sometimes I want to train hard but other days I want to play, an attitude many athletes lose with time. They think maximum result during training is necessary and can’t stand to lose to training partners. That to me is a mistake and it is generally a bad idea to stand on a pedestal. If you do that, you’ll miss out on so many things you could learn. During training sessions, I’ve been beaten up numerous times, by fighters I would easily take inside the ring. It’s okay to give up sometimes, because it means you’ll come back stronger. It’s important to be playful and I think that’s the key to success, not just for athletes but for everyone; also to be calm and composed. The better you feel, and the more at ease you are with everyone and everything, the easier it is to focus; also your brain functions quicker, and you have more ambition, energy and self-confidence

I am very good at being by myself, and unlike those who distract themselves with television, I like to reflect upon matters and reach my own conclusions. Honest and sincere contemplation is all about chasing a feeling within, considering matters through meditation and applying them systematically” he explained. “People keep asking me why I don’t set specific goals for myself, but if the truth be told, goals become restrictions. The best way for me to succeed is to focus on what I am doing.

Got a really good mindset for MMA. Has he gotten another fight lined up? It was nice seeing him destroy Johnson, but I'm hoping that was only his warm up

Nice, pretty much identical to Phil Baroni's mind set ;)

Very interesting, thanks TS.

I'm guessing he was speaking in his native tongue as his English interviews until now have been monosyllabic at best. That said he shows a great maturity and hopefully with that mindset we'll see some excellent performances from Gunny.

Been a fan since I first met and saw him at Bamma. The man is very talented, friendly and most of all his lack of character and emotion in interviews makes me laugh.

I try not to predict future champs, but he sure has the potential.

Got a really good mindset for MMA. Has he gotten another fight lined up? It was nice seeing him destroy Johnson, but I'm hoping that was only his warm up

He has, actually. He's fighting Justin Edwards on February 16 in UFC on Fuel TV 7.

Yeah i like his philosophy. They say all Icelanders are deep thinkers cause they don't get much sun up there and don't have much to do but ponder about things all day lol

Zen-like quality to his repsonse.

Very nice. Always refreshing to read about a fighters mindset who's different from that 'I'm training so hard muddafucka, imma gonna bang, bro!' - clichee

He has, actually. He's fighting Justin Edwards on February 16 in UFC on Fuel TV 7.

Well Fuck I could have sworn I googled him yesterday. I actually like this match up, I'm glad they haven't thrown him to the dogs like they do to a lot of up and comers with a great octagon appearance. I think this is a small step up from his last fight. If he dominates this one he'll clearly need a step up in competition

Well Fuck I could have sworn I googled him yesterday. I actually like this match up, I'm glad they haven't thrown him to the dogs like they do to a lot of up and comers with a great octagon appearance. I think this is a small step up from his last fight. If he dominates this one he'll clearly need a step up in competition

Heh. I'm probably in the definite minority considering my opinion, but I think Edwards is actually a step down from DeMarques Johnson. On paper, it looks like Edwards has nothing for Gunnar anywhere.

Gunner is awesome. Already one of my favourite fighters. Hope he goes far!

Good stuff, War Gunnar.

Also Iceland is awesome

served him well so far! cant wait to see him progress and see how far he can rise up the ladder

Back