Gunnar Nelson gives Jedi-like wisdom on his approach to MMA

that was extremely insightful. gunnar has a really cool perspective on MMA and life in general.

Well, I guess he won't feel too cold today since he is on Canary Islands holding a seminar :wink:

He is so unbelievably calm that some people think that he has autism or something, which I think is pretty funny. He does freak out a little in Black Ops 2 though..

But still probably pondering away :icon_chee

Samt fyndi

I just read the whole article, brilliant stuff. This is why I never judge fighters personalities based on some promo videos. Maybe the loudest trash-talkers who are called the most interesting characters in MMA are the most shallow in real life.

Also, it makes me wonder, who are some other fighters with a similiar mindset? Few that comes to mind are Fedor (obvious choice), Lyoto and Mousasi. Anderson is very similiar too, with the big difference that he loves to have fun in front of cameras. But you dont reach Andersons level of comfort inside the cage without a similiar mindset.

Interview from october

A short documentary on a seminar taught by Gunnar Nelson. Made by BJJ/MMA film maker Stuart Cooper, this video gives you a look and an insight to Gunnar's approach to BJJ and how one of his best strengths is his calm mind.

Not to fond of the tired "ice-cold viking" type of racial cliches.
I relate his mindset more to what you'll find in sports like surfing or snowboarding or climbing where competing is secondary to having fun and where skill comes from making the sport your life rather than from competition. Also, I can't remember him ever mentioning money which is pretty nice in a sport where the primary motivation seems to be to cash in for a lot of fighters.

Heard he's pretty good at surfjitsu as well :) (nice move at 4.05):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9aUmpzfu3s

i could learn from that for sure - who cares if you are looking better than the person next to you in the gym, thast petty - should be more about improving skills - hard to actually administer this when the peer pressure gets going, but i guess he has risen above that

Been a fan since I first met and saw him at Bamma. The man is very talented, friendly and most of all his lack of character and emotion in interviews makes me laugh.

I try not to predict future champs, but he sure has the potential.

Is he the same when not being interviewed?...since you met him. He does come across as someone with autism.

Is he the same when not being interviewed?...since you met him. He does come across as someone with autism.

Actually, even though I haven't met him, I've seen a video of Gunnar hanging out at a restaurant with his friends and his father, and he was laughing and smiling non-stop, joking around and enjoying a good time.

Personally I think the glimpses of what we've seen of him in the media have just been him staying strictly professional and that's how he deals with his job: calmly.

Back