Guitar Players

I have this:

big%20fender%20jazz%20bass%20vDSCN5694.jpg

I want this:

ns5xl_transblack_full.jpg

How is a Strats tremelo system more versatile? I've heard people argue it's an easier set up, but not sure why you think it's more versatile.
You have more options with a whammy bar than without one.

and i disagree with you on the longer scale being better -harder for bends and the longer length between frets means you need to be more precise with your finger placement for notes, no?

To each his own. I don't agree that either guitar is more versatile than the other. It just comes down to a handful of differences that boil down to preference. Both are tried and true designs however that haven't changed much over many years -because both are versatile

Most people don't like their strings flopping around when they tune down. A longer scale = tighter strings.

Meh, pup configurations are really the only thing you can point out on a Strat that can change as far as different models-but Les Pauls have that as well

Body on a Strat is typically Alder or Ash where as you can get different tops on LP's On top of the Mahagony body.. necks and frets can differ on them too. Speaking of which -I prefer the thicker neck of a Paul to a thinner strat neck as well.

I really can't think of too many things that you can say variety wise about a Strat that you can't turn around and say about an LP too tbh

LP's are warmer in tone and Strats are higher pitched -mostly due to the slight difference in lengths of the nut to bridge with Strats being an inch or so longer.

Strats (traditional ones anyway) are always going to have those single coils while the LP will have the Humbuckers. And which one you prefer really is a matter of preference more than right or wrong.

Here ya on the argument tho -you aren't the 1st person I've jawed with on this topic by a long shot lol

And yeah, LP's won't win a price argument any time in their history -but they are more difficult to produce because of the tops combined with the single cut aways and that's going to add bucks to the production.

I'll agree/concede that they're overpriced however.

On the construction note, I actually find it much easier to do a Gibson style guitar than a fender, although I don't use cnc mills like they do.

As you said though, there is no right or wrong, only preference

If you ever find one I highly recommend buying a Fender Prodigy. It's an obscure Fender Super Strat that was only made from 91 to 93 but I bought one a short time ago and it has to be the best guitar I've ever used.

What made Fenders especially great was the bang for the buck. I don't think its there anymore.

G&L's were good for a while, as it was the company the Leo Fender started after Fender was sold to CBS. It's been a while since I have checked, but they made some good stuff (Strat and Tele styles) for a period, arguably better than Fender. They had some innovative things like Leo's new vibrato, the Z-coil pickups on the Comanche, etc.

G&L's were good for a while, as it was the company the Leo Fender started after Fender was sold to CBS. It's been a while since I have checked, but they made some good stuff (Strat and Tele styles) for a period, arguably better than Fender. They had some innovative things like Leo's new vibrato, the Z-coil pickups on the Comanche, etc.
The comanches are pretty expensive though, aren't they?

The comanches are pretty expensive though, aren't they?

I think so. The guitars are American made. I just checked the website, and there weren't any MSRP's available. If I recall, the Comanches were considered one of their higher end products.

If you ever find one I highly recommend buying a Fender Prodigy. It's an obscure Fender Super Strat that was only made from 91 to 93 but I bought one a short time ago and it has to be the best guitar I've ever used.

I had a fender prodigy bass for a short time.

I remember that Fender marketed the Heartfield line, which included Japanese made superstrats. It looked like they were made by the same guitar plant that made Ibanez. They got good reviews.

Id advise at least looking into Orange bud, very versatile.

Stick with their tubed stuff tho.

I was a Marshall guy thick n thin until I plugged in to an Orange head and cab one day -was absolutely blown away.

They are pricey tho

My last purchase was my fender blues deluxe '94 reissue in blonde tolex. Dope as fuck.

I would definitely fuck around on some oranges but I'm pretty set on my amp.

To all the metal dudes, do you think blues/rock guitars look lame? Teles, hollow bodies, etc. Les Pauls/SGs seem to be in the middle somewhere, but i can't stand the look of most guitars typically used by metal players (ibanez, esp, schecter, etc). I have to imagine it's the same on the other side.

As much as a metal guy i am, i would love a 335 or a 339. Plus Gretsches are a love of mine too, nearly walked out of a shop on the weekend with one.

Telecaster is my fav guitar , I play one through a mesa boogie single rectifier sounds great up loud
I also like the Gretsch falcon guitars though I dont own one myself.

I'm an Ibanez guy. Currently own one of their single cut 'LP' style guitars. Bubinga top, has a neck that feels more playable for me than an actual LP, but not their ultra thin wizard neck. Gonna switch the EMG's out someday.

When I bought my deluxe, I was also considering a vintage modern from marshall but I just didn't need a half stack in my living room. I'm glad I chose the deluxe. The only thing I can't do on that amp is heavier rock, but with pedals, I can still get a reasonably decent hard rock sound.
The vintage Vox ac30 is an amazing amp to use with a strat or tele

LP for me but have had a strat or two in the past. Grew up with my old man playing in a band and it was LP all the way until his last years playing when he started experimenting with the strat for some bluesy shit he was playing.

More then anything nowadays though I play acoustic. First real acoustic was an Ovation. Went to GuitarCenter one day though and picked up a Yamaha and never looked back, sold the Ovation shortly after. Went to a local music store and tried a Seagul out (had never heard of them before) and the sound that is produced from that guitar is simply beautiful, bought it on the spot. Always wanted a Guild or Gibson with a cutaway though but never had the funds available to drop 3K on an acoustic for the ones that I coveted. GuitarCenter had a Gibson acoustic cutaway that they wanted 2800.00 for and I played that thing almost everyday for close to a year before it finally sold. I've seen that guitar recently on craigslist selling for close to the same amount. Too many other hobbies keep me from spending that kind of cash on guitars

This thread is for all the guitar players here! Let's share our guitars, advice, favorites, gear, and so on. I have two guitars I play on right now. First off I have a Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR that I just love.

I've always been a Schecter guy. And secondly I have Jackson Dinky. Both tuned in Drop D but I've been meaning to tune the Jackson into Drop C. I play on a Blackstar amp. Anyway, here is a couple pictures. I'd like to get a PRS next. Share away.

JOErmsY.jpg

in17pAm.jpg

Nice axes mate. I've got a Blackstar amp as well, the HT-5 combo (I think that's the one). Also got an Epiphone Les Paul with EMGs in it, love that guitar, does what I want it too.

You have more options with a whammy bar than without one.

There are LP's that have 'Bigsby's' bud, so the 'wammy' concept isn't excluded completely from LP's by any means.

[/QUOTE]Most people don't like their strings flopping around when they tune down. A longer scale = tighter strings.[/QUOTE]

This is an odd argument to make against a guitar model we have both already acknowledged dominates the metal market. There are fixes for sloppy strings and it doesn't involve needing an extra inch on your scale.

I've made a living on LP style guitars in C and lower tunings without so much as a hitch.

The Strat may be a tad tighter, but I don't think it's as noticeable as you'd want to make it sound. Not enough to hold it against the LP in a conversation like this anyway.

You can use a Kahler on Les Pauls too without drilling/routing in the body also if its a stoptail bridge.

On the construction note, I actually find it much easier to do a Gibson style guitar than a fender, although I don't use cnc mills like they do.

As you said though, there is no right or wrong, only preference

Are you talking about just doing a cut out for the body? Or are you including the top and chambering here too? I knew a guy that built his own but he didn't bother with the tops -pretty sure he didn't chamber much either outside of what's needed for the electronics. I can see that being a little less tedious subtracting both those things.

I should note here that not all Pauls are chambered, however.

Im no luthier for the record, but it's pretty well accepted that Les Pauls are a little more difficult to produce than say -a Strat. It's possible that info is wrong I spose, as I said I'm no luthier so I have zero building experience.

I should also note that I'm not a Gibson guy -tho I do own my share of them. I'm an ESP guy. Come at me motherfuckers!

^^Hey bruh. I'm thinking about getting an LP Studio sometime. Besides cosmetic, what is the/any real difference between the studio and regular LP's?

Back