GSP vs Anderson Silva at 185lbs circa 2009: who would have gotten it done?

GSP would Sonnen him to a 50-45 or Silva would catch GSP with something crazy. Anderson was on a roll during that time of crazy finishes.

Its sad that GSP has always ducked that fight. He has a really good chance of winning in that matchup.

Silva would have demolished him.

This is why GSP never took the fight. It would have been the one and only TRUE MMA superfight, but GSP knew he didn't have a fucking chance. More excuses for ducking this fight than any other I can remember. Weird how he came back and fought at MW when Bisping was champ, eh?

Anderson sleeps him. Even if GSP got him down he got fucking tore up from being on top of Bisping. Silva has much more dangerous elbows and BJJ than One-eyed Mike.

If GSP takes him down at will, he savages him on the mat for a Sub or TKO

I do say GSP gets regular takedowns

Anderson has a punchers chance each round though, but I'd favour prime GSP > Andy

Only question I have is if GSP at a 185 frame loses too much cardio

GSP is the better overall fighter, so gut says him

GSP never had the Chael blue print. He didn't bullrush and chain wrestle like Chael. He didnt pressure like Chael. He was patient. Used his jabs to set up takedowns. Took calculated shots. Anderson would have merked him I think.

OH GSP doesn't chain wrestles? We have a newbie here, how cute.

Silva beat Hendo he already faced that skill set . Other then chale 1 when has Anderson been controlled on the ground ?

What? GSP's skill set is miles beyond Hendo's. Hendo's skillset got him totally embarassed by WW Shields.

Anderson sleeps him. Even if GSP got him down he got fucking tore up from being on top of Bisping. Silva has much more dangerous elbows and BJJ than One-eyed Mike.

Totally different fighters on the ground. Bisping is extremely hard to hold down while Silva literally never gets back up. GSP's posture had to stay really close to Bisping's chest to prevent him from getting up, which opened himself for these elbows. He wouldn't need to do that against Silva because he doesn't have the skills to get back up. When Silva is on his back, he just stays there, attempting some subs here and there that would absolutely never work against a far superior grappler like GSP.

Yoel
Whitaker
Weidman
Mousasi
Rockhold
Anderson

Shall I go on...
Gotta say though, of that whole list Anderson (and maybe Moose) are the most beatable for Georges. The other four are way too much. With Anderson in particular, there is a path to victory/ The thing is though, if GSP were to win it would almost certainly be a fairly uninteresting decision, whereas Anderson would likely score a brutal knockout. I'd imagine this played a part in Georges not being as interested in the fight.

Cheal has trained with gsp numerous times now and is very outspoken about how gsp did what he wanted when he wanted with him.

So if cheal can do that to Andy and gsp did that to cheal at 170 size.

Uber gsp at 185 size puts Andy on his ass at will.

Fucking newton took him down, come on now.
"Fucking newton took him down, come on now."

james3.gif

Silva by brutal brutal ko.

Around the time Silva had just matrixed Forrest and GSP had just 50-45’d Alves.

I got Silva winning by stiffening KO in round 2, after gsp lands a few takedowns. Discuss.

I'm inclined to feel like the most likely outcome is Chael v Silva 1 but with better sub defense, but it is also clear that Anderson would initiate a whole host of creative finishing opportunities, and GSP would need to avoid all of them for five full rounds, which is far from a guarantee.

At WW, assuming Anderson could make the cut, I give GSP an 80-20 edge.

At MW I'm more inclined to make it a 55-45 sort of deal, with the slight edge still going to GSP.

GSP never had the Chael blue print. He didn't bullrush and chain wrestle like Chael. He didnt pressure like Chael. He was patient. Used his jabs to set up takedowns. Took calculated shots. Anderson would have merked him I think.

This... Exactly this. GSP used strikes to set up his takedowns. He has this long jab that he could pop out from a surprising range and at WW he had an incredible reach advantage most of the time. He controlled range well with that and collapsed the pocket really well.

Against Anderson he'd lose that reach advantage and have to work that trick against a far superior strikers that made a career out of catching guys collapsing the pocket. Plus Anderson was 3" taller and walking around at about 210-215 in those days and GSP was walking around at 190-195.

There was a reason that GSP picked the Bisping era to move up.

They game plan everything, including his career, as he mentioned he needed time to put size on and going up and back down is bad for the body and he wasn’t done at ww yet.

This plays a big role in it too.

Gsp said come to 170 and challenge for the belt and Anderson said come to 185.

I don’t think it was purely a “we can’t win” decision from his team but more of the time isn’t right right now to do it.

In their game plan to fight him they might have deducted that he needed to be the size he was vs bisping to get the job done, and knew they couldn’t do that while defending the belt at 70 at the same time.
This actually makes a lot of sense

Back