GSP vs Anderson Silva at 185lbs circa 2009: who would have gotten it done?

No one knows. I favoured GSP at the time, but just as Hendrix showed tht GSp is not all conquering, maybe the size difference would indeed have made the difference.

Coach Zahabi has amazing analysis .The way he talk about how he measured BJ penns punching speed to work out his weaknesses was eye opening, and so I am sure they sized silva up too. The fact that they didn't want it, gives a hint to their own final conclusion.
oh yeah, we could see it in the 1st BJ fight...

"amazing analysis" .... "eye opening,"...

loloool.png

I never understood this matchup...

GSP is a natural Welterweight and Anderson is a natural Light Heavyweight/Middleweight.

Jon Jones vs Anderson stylistically is a much more compelling fight.

All that being said, I’d never doubt GSP! He has proven people wrong his entire career.

lol what? Anderson is not a LHW. Matter of fact, Anderson fought at Welterweight at the start of his career.

He was great against wrestlers with absolutely awful stand up. Koscheck, Fitch, Hughes etc are tiny compared to Romero and Weidman and their striking is laughable in comparison. Romero would take his head off violently and Weidman is 6'3 and way too big to even entertain GSP doing anything to him but get wrecked.
I disagree with you. Too often people look at weightclasses, and think straight away that a middleweight is too big for a welterweight, and so on. But then we see fighters move up in weight, and all of a sudden the size difference isn't that great.

Weidman is slow and predictable on the feet. GSP would light him up, and it wouldn't even be close. Kelvin was outstriking Weidman. Imagine that fight, but Weidman can't get takedowns? Kelvin is around GSP's size.

Yoel of course would have a chance of catching and knocking GSP out, but I'd say 7 times out of 10, GSP avoids damage and out-strikes yoel using timing, distance and creativity.

If things were equal physically I'd favour GSP, with the size difference I would marginally favour Anderson to land at some point but suspect he'd loose if it went the distance.

Y’all underestimating how slick Silva was and how good reaction time . Gsp is not holding Silva down for 25 minutes . Even nick Diaz got up a few times

We’re talking about 2009 GSP. Not the one that fought nick after he had a major knee injury and surgery. That shit can change or even end careers in sports. Nicks BJJ is phenomenal, though. GSP even talked about how it was ‘weird’ but very effective. Also talked about how he got tired, which had never happened to him before. Nick is great at draining opponents. Anderson has a more basic and traditional BJJ style.

He often waits for opponents to make mistakes instead of being active like Nick or Nate, who force their opponents to constantly move and defend chained sweeps or submissions. Completely different styles of BJJ. Instead of waiting for opponents to make mistakes, the Diaz’s force you to make make mistakes they can take advantage of. Nicks is better. Nobody has ever truly passed his guard before. Nicks guard, defensively, is one of the best we’ve ever witnessed in mma. Unfortunately most people think offense/submissions are the only thing to BJJ. Anderson would be on his back being controlled. Nick rolls around the fucking place doing weird shit you only see from Cesar Gracie black belts. GSP probably had a harder time controlling nick than anybody else because he doesn’t stop moving. It’s tiring. Silva is more accepting of just being on his back and look for wrist control. Basic.

It’s about styles. Nick and Anderson are two completely different styles of BJJ. Nick did better against Anderson than he did against GSP, too. I’m talking about the striking. GSP easily picked nick apart from the outside with jabs and kicks. Silva got popped by nick way more than GSP did. Anderson’s boxing is severely overrated. He’s nothing without his kicks and knees.

GSP kept his word.

He always said he needed time to bulk up in order to move up, and that's exactly what he did.
However, Silva went up well before Jones was Champ and had success (against a recent former champ at the time) yet no one ever gives him shit for going silent when it comes to Jones, especially after Jones smoked Machida which was Anderson's excuse at the time.

Fuck your double standard.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2009/04...fends-performance-wont-fight-for-light-heavyw

Aww, his wittle shin had gotten injured. Lol at Andy fans literally inventing excuses for him. GSP has had back, knee, eye injuries, and ACL surgery, to name a few.

And he didnt get PED's to recover from them either.
DD9D5877-5565-4DB8-8BA6-620B66530D93.png
6A9B06B1-9C49-4DE7-B2C9-40F03336CC47.jpeg

Anderson would have bodybagged him. Same way Jones would have bodybagged Anderson and GSP did bodybag BJ. GSP wanted none of it. And rightly so.

Only on Sherdog can a 5'10" WW duck a 6'2" MW and LHW. Lunacy.

I think Georges probably would’ve smothered him much the same way Chael did, only he wouldn’t have been idiotic enough to get subbed toward the end of the final round.

unfortunately (as a big GSP fan) Anderson. and GSP knew it. was pretty unlikely that GSP was going to be able to dodge the bullets for a full five rounds, and every round starts on the feet.

if GSP had some subs then he might have had a better chance, but Anderson was good off his back. winning a decision via LnP was a tall order. then again sonnen almost did it, and GSP's sub defense was stratospheres better than his.

GSP would have Chael’ed Andy, but he wouldn’t have choked in the final minutes of the fight.

Anderson wrecks him up. People cling to the "Anderson has bad TDD" stuff, but it was literally never a reason he lost. Even against Chael Sonnen, he defended more takedowns than he let through and hurt chael on the feet in the first fight. GSP was smaller, not as strong and not as good on the feet as people like to pretend.

We’re talking about 2009 GSP. Not the one that fought nick after he had a major knee injury and surgery. That shit can change or even end careers in sports. Nicks BJJ is phenomenal, though. GSP even talked about how it was ‘weird’ but very effective. Also talked about how he got tired, which had never happened to him before. Nick is great at draining opponents. Anderson has a more basic and traditional BJJ style.

He often waits for opponents to make mistakes instead of being active like Nick or Nate, who force their opponents to constantly move and defend chained sweeps or submissions. Completely different styles of BJJ. Instead of waiting for opponents to make mistakes, the Diaz’s force you to make make mistakes they can take advantage of. Nicks is better. Nobody has ever truly passed his guard before. Nicks guard, defensively, is one of the best we’ve ever witnessed in mma. Unfortunately most people think offense/submissions are the only thing to BJJ. Anderson would be on his back being controlled. Nick rolls around the fucking place doing weird shit you only see from Cesar Gracie black belts. GSP probably had a harder time controlling nick than anybody else because he doesn’t stop moving. It’s tiring. Silva is more accepting of just being on his back and look for wrist control. Basic.

It’s about styles. Nick and Anderson are two completely different styles of BJJ. Nick did better against Anderson than he did against GSP, too. I’m talking about the striking. GSP easily picked nick apart from the outside with jabs and kicks. Silva got popped by nick way more than GSP did. Anderson’s boxing is severely overrated. He’s nothing without his kicks and knees.

I'd definitely agree Nick is a bigger cardio test, I suspect GSP/Anderson would be quite a low intensity fight with Silva standing off fearing the takedown looking for counters and GSP controlling him if he gets them without really threating.

Only on Sherdog can a 5'10" WW duck a 6'2" MW and LHW. Lunacy.

Did I say duck? I said he wanted none of Anderson. Anderson wanted none of Jones. Fact

No one knows. I favoured GSP at the time, but just as Hendrix showed tht GSp is not all conquering, maybe the size difference would indeed have made the difference.

Coach Zahabi has amazing analysis. The way he talk about how he measured BJ penns punching speed to work out his weaknesses was eye opening, and so I am sure they sized silva up too. The fact that they didn't want it, gives a hint to their own final conclusion.

They game plan everything, including his career, as he mentioned he needed time to put size on and going up and back down is bad for the body and he wasn’t done at ww yet.

This plays a big role in it too.

Gsp said come to 170 and challenge for the belt and Anderson said come to 185.

I don’t think it was purely a “we can’t win” decision from his team but more of the time isn’t right right now to do it.

In their game plan to fight him they might have deducted that he needed to be the size he was vs bisping to get the job done, and knew they couldn’t do that while defending the belt at 70 at the same time.

Chael is twice GSP's size, a more accomplished wrestler and still went 3/7 in the first fight.
Cheal has trained with gsp numerous times now and is very outspoken about how gsp did what he wanted when he wanted with him.

So if cheal can do that to Andy and gsp did that to cheal at 170 size.

Uber gsp at 185 size puts Andy on his ass at will.

Fucking newton took him down, come on now.

Back