GSP vs Anderson Silva at 185lbs circa 2009: who would have gotten it done?

It all boils down to Take Down Defence. Anderson has never had great TDD, it was at best average. Anderson was deceptively good off his back but against a wrestling machine like GSP who also had great sub defence, I gotta go with GSP taking it via decision.

It all boils down to Take Down Defence. Anderson has never had great TDD, it was at best average. Anderson was deceptively good off his back but against a wrestling machine like GSP who also had great sub defence, I gotta go with GSP taking it via decision.

I think the Travis Lutter and first Chael Sonnen fight put the idea that his TDD was 'average' 'at best'. He had knee surgery before the Lutter fight, and Rogan said Silva was still limping like he was double knee barred before the fight.
https://www.mmamania.com/2007/02/04/ufc-67-anderson-silva-on-two-bad-knees
And Silva came into the 1st Sonnen fight with a significant injury to his ribs.

After seeing what Chael did, and what a depleted Lutter was able to do, GSP would have easily decisioned a prime Spider.
Two guys that lost to Silva?

You think GSP would have taken enough risks to mount Silva like Lutter did?

GSP was getting KO’d if he took that fight it’s exactly why he didn’t

Silva would be the favourite even if they'd fight now. He's an oddball though so you can't know if he'll be serious about it or not.:D

Gotta love how dorks here use 1st chael fight as some type of “evidence”

Anderson had cracked ribs n chael was juiced to his eyelids n Anderson still won that fight.

There’s the reason why gsp vs Anderson never happen n that’s cause one of them was avoiding that fight like a plague.

It's a 50/50 fight physically and skillset wise, but psychologically, Anderson's aura and mind games would have mindfucked GSP and he'd have been stopped in a round. Anderson wins 9 times out of 10.

GSP. He’d get hurt a few times but most of the fight would be Anderson defending TD’s and defending off his back. His TDD wasn’t as good in 2009. It would be a boring fight. Anderson has always been great off his back defensively. I see most of it being GSP controlling him and landing very little real significant shots.

Stylistically GSP is a bad fight for Silva. But Silva’s size is what makes it more interesting. People blow it way out of proportion, though, acting as if Silva wins just because he’s bigger. Anderson got owned by Chael with wrestling. GSP is the best wrestler in mma history. He’d time Silva with the double all night and keep him down. Styles. It’s not only about size. Chael is bigger than GSP, but Georges is known for schooling bigger guys like him in the gym in wrestling. Didn’t chael say Georges is the strongest guy he’s ever trained with, too? And that he’s the best mma wrestler?

Silva’s overrated boxing isn’t winning him this fight. His TDD was too weak. Georges would’ve made him look human. GSP wins a close but clear decision.

If he got hurt at all, Anderson would have gotten him out of there easily. This isn't Matt Serra or Carlos Condit we're talking about here.

just consulting my mma math handbook, bisping beat anderson and got strangled by georges

giphy.gif

True but .... ^ lets be honest ... the fight should have ended here.
All Silva had to do was throw a single GnP punch and Herb would have stopped it.
Bisping was in no place to defend and was damn near KO'd.

As far as Chaels success vs Anderson goes, Chael was 20-25lbs bigger, and GSP wouldn't have the balls or the chin to employ Chaels strategy of nonstop forward pressure and throwing caution to the wind.

If he got hurt at all, Anderson would have gotten him out of there easily. This isn't Matt Serra or Carlos Condit we're talking about here.

We’re talking about a better GSP than the guy Serra beat. We’re talking about a younger, more motivated (don’t start any motivated GSP crap now) pre-major knee injury and surgery GSP, not the one Condit fought. Georges had shown much slower TD’s and strikes than what we saw before those injuries, surgeries and lack of motivation due to the pressure and simply lost love of the sport.

He talked about not having the fire anymore. He wasn’t all there mentally like he was against Alves, Hardy, Fitch, Serra 2, BJ 2, Kos 2, etc. We’re talking about prime 2009 GSP (yes, I know not all these fights were 2009). Like I said, I can see Silva stunning him once, twice, but I see Georges surviving and taking Silva down, controlling most of the fight (having great success on the feet, too) and taking a close, but clear decision.

The GSP between Serra 1 and Serra 2 are very different. The GSP we saw in the rematch had vastly improved, especially with his fight IQ. Is the Silva we saw against Chonan or Takase really an example we should use for how Silva/GSP could go? I can see Anderson scoring a Hail Mary KO or submission like he did against Chael, but I feel GSP wins more times than he loses.

Plz explain how Silva's win over Griffin is more impressive than GSP's over Bisping.

Because he’d just lost the LHW title his last fight before losing to Anderson. That’s why they say stuff like this. It was a good win and flawless performance, but everybody picked Silva to win. Even Forrest picked Silva to win. Stylistically, it didn’t take much to realize Forrest was fucked going into that fight.

Obviously he didn't share your optimism, hence he ducked Silva. GSP only went up in weight against a cherry picked Bisping, 10 years later. All facts
To be fair Anderson ducked the hell out of Jon Jones

Neither GSP or Anderson wanted to move up to fight the champ above their weightclass

Silva with that spark would have smashed GSP.

Back