GSP made 9K for the first Matt Hughes Title fight

Dana has a net worth of what?

Did you ever ask yourself why his net worth is hundreds of millions higher than his sports biggest stars?

Compare Dana's net worth to other sports commissioners like Roger Goodell.
Dana is worth hundreds of millions more than they are as well..
Is the UFC more popular than the NFL? Not that I am aware of..
Yet Dana rakes in more cash..

Ask yourself why?
i wasn't talking about dana. it was a hypothetical.

but dana is worth more because he's not a commissioner. he had an equity stake in the company that sold for $4.5b.

I think the message to take is to understand how the process works, how the UFC will utilize their position/advantage in the negotiations,
This part is important, but the issue is you're effectively proposing an individual solution to a systemic problem. No one fighter, even Conor or GSP, can stand up to the UFC.
I doubt if Nate knew then what he knows now, he would have settled for a 8 fight deal for 60/60.
Whether or not he wanted to, I don't think it would make a difference. TUF contracts have always been super long, and if he went to the UFC to ask for a shorter deal, they'd probably try to cut his pay and kick him to the curb if he didn't accept.
Nate used the short-term need of the UFC to getting a bigger payday against Conor, but by that time Diaz was far more aware of what he brought to the table.
This is true, but it was a pretty flukey moment. 99 percent of fighters will never be in that situation.

i wasn't talking about dana. it was a hypothetical.

but dana is worth more because he's not a commissioner. he had an equity stake in the company that sold for $4.5b.
He is a minority owner for a company that has a TV deal worth 1.5 Billion..
The NFL TV deal is currently 110 Billion..
Has Goodell negotiated a payout from the NFL owners that gets him anywhere in league with Dana? Nope and we are talking about an ocean of money versus a swimming pool.. 100 Million people watch the Superbowl every year... Companies get charged 1 million bucks for 30 seconds of commercial time.. The NY Giants alone are worth the same price the UFC was sold for...

So again we got a swimming pool of money with a minority owner worth 500 Mil... But I am sure the fighters are being paid fairly..

He is a minority owner for a company that has a TV deal worth 1.5 Billion..
The NFL TV deal is currently 110 Billion..
Has Goodell negotiated a payout from the NFL owners that gets him anywhere in league with Dana? Nope and we are talking about an ocean of money versus a swimming pool.. 100 Million people watch the Superbowl every year... Companies get charged 1 million bucks for 30 seconds of commercial time.. The NY Giants alone are worth the same price the UFC was sold for...

So again we got a swimming pool of money with a minority owner worth 500 Mil... But I am sure the fighters are being paid fairly..
You’re not addressing what I said.

And why are you focusing on the 10% owner? Again his wealth was based on his ownership share.

Keep buying the Zuffa spin hook line and sinker, dude. The Fertitas made the investment because there was a good chance MMA would take off, and it did. With a 40k ppv buy and a 9000 person gate, that event grossed well upwards of 2 million, yet a title chanllenger only got 9k. You're a fuckin joke for defending this.

Lol... Okay:D I'm guessing you're part of the entitled generation that never got spanked. You have no clue how the world works.

This part is important, but the issue is you're effectively proposing an individual solution to a systemic problem. No one fighter, even Conor or GSP, can stand up to the UFC.

Whether or not he wanted to, I don't think it would make a difference. TUF contracts have always been super long, and if he went to the UFC to ask for a shorter deal, they'd probably try to cut his pay and kick him to the curb if he didn't accept.

This is true, but it was a pretty flukey moment. 99 percent of fighters will never be in that situation.

I agree that you can't approach it from a systematic approach, each fighter is going to be different. Also, I agree that individual fighters are going to be limited in their ability to institute change, the fighters would be better served to act with more cohesion. Honestly, I think it is very telling that fighters who were washed up and tossed aside by the UFC are now getting paid very well to fight circus fights with the Paul brothers.

As for the Nate, the 8 fight deal was actually after his TUF contract, he signed it pre-title shot. It would appear that the UFC was using the new contract as a condition of the title shot.

I agree that you can't approach it from a systematic approach, each fighter is going to be different.
No, what I'm saying is that solutions have to be systemic since it's a systemic problem. Be it contract restrictions for the sport or remedies along those lines.
As for the Nate, the 8 fight deal was actually after his TUF contract, he signed it pre-title shot. It would appear that the UFC was using the new contract as a condition of the title shot.
That wouldn't surprise me, I don't know how blatant any quid pro quo is, but fighters have a habit of resigning before their title shots.

Yeah - well back then , sponsors paid the bills as that was the rub........ and a healthy percentage had a 2nd job..

Besides tuf and the rest of the perfect storm ( awesome), Chuck should get paid some sort of royalties as " iceman" was the first household name and constant PPV windfall. I'm not even a Chuck guy but he was the first to bring in multiple celebrities to the GON.

The arenas were nuts when Chuck fought.

I'm betting you're one of the few shills on here that don't get paid.

You're a volunteer.
<{MingNope}>

....<Kobe213>

you do know bellator fighters still make 5k or less. how that not a bigger problem than how the pay in mma was in the 1990s when the ufc almost folded a few times before tuf 1.

You’re not addressing what I said.

And why are you focusing on the 10% owner? Again his wealth was based on his ownership share.

Brother I have no issue admitting he got a lot richer off the sale of the UFC as a minority owner.. But again lets keep some perspective here..

Another example for you.

Adam Silver Commissioner of the NBA, earns 10 mil per year in salary..
Dana is making 20 mil per year.. Not talking about anything other than his paid salary..

The Lakers alone in the NBA are worth 5 Billion dollars.. That's more than what the UFC was sold for.. We are talking about 1 NBA franchise..

Top player salary in the NBA in 2021 was Steph Curry at 43 Million Dollars..

Any UFC fighters making 43 Mil per year?
How about 20 Mil outside of Conor?

They can afford to pay Dana 20 Mil,

No problem right?

Wonder why guys still make 10/10 in the UFC?

That should have been GSP's salary for each point fight win.

Back