GSP made 9K for the first Matt Hughes Title fight

With how dominant and popular GSP was, he should've made enough money for 15 lifetimes. But instead most of it went to a bunch of people who didn't fight.
Who? UFC was still operating at a loss at that point, and GSP does have enough money for several lifetimes.

Crazy part was the revenue split was much higher back then. Ufc just wasnt making money at that point

His disclosed money for the Bisping fight is 2.5 million and he claims he made 10 million. So he made 7.5 million in undisclosed payments on PPV buys of 875,000. If that's all PPV bonus that's $8.57 per buy at the end.
I suspect he's including his personal sponsors when he says 10 million. For what it'd worth, we do have one fully disclosed payday for GSP. It's his Hardy fights and it was I the neighborhood of $3 million and under 4.
Crazy part was the revenue split was much higher back then. Ufc just wasnt making money at that point
UFC has been in the black for almost 2 decades.
Who? UFC was still operating at a loss at that point, and GSP does have enough money for several lifetimes.
2004 is the last year the UFC lost money. Ppl vastly exaggerate how long the UFC was losing money.

I suspect he's including his personal sponsors when he says 10 million. For what it'd worth, we do have one fully disclosed payday for GSP. It's his Hardy fights and it was I the neighborhood of $3 million and under 4.

2004 is the last year the UFC lost money. Ppl vastly exaggerate how long the UFC was losing money.

His first title fight was 2004, which is what he's referencing here, no?

His first title fight was 2004, which is what he's referencing here, no?
Yeah but the UFC was turning around already. It's not like he fought Hughes in Oct 04 and then magically the UFC had this windfall on Jan 1. Fighting in the earlier days of the UFC doesn't excuse how poor pay was for guys like GSP

And the fight was in 2004. GSP made millions when the UFC became profitable. Do you take out loans based on an optimistic view of how much you could potentially have in 15 years, or do you spend within your means until you can afford more?

Yeah but the UFC was turning around already. It's not like he fought Hughes in Oct 04 and then magically the UFC had this windfall on Jan 1. Fighting in the earlier days of the UFC doesn't excuse how poor pay was for guys like GSP

You said the last year the were in the red was 2004. Now show the revenue split that year

And the fight was in 2004. GSP made millions when the UFC became profitable. Do you take out loans based on an optimistic view of how much you could potentially have in 15 years, or do you spend within your means until you can afford more?
It seems to be the latter if we are talking the massive dividends the Fertitas were paying out to themselves.
You said the last year the were in the red was 2004. Now show the revenue split that year
24 percent in 2004.

It seems to be the latter if we are talking the massive dividends the Fertitas were paying out to themselves.

24 percent in 2004.

Like, i said higher. Factor in they only made 14 million in revenue in 2004 and that was only GSP 3rd fight in the organization -- its not an egregious number.

Like, i said higher. Factor in they only made 14 million in revenue in 2004 and that was only GSP 3rd fight in the organization -- its not an egregious number.
Not the worst but still pretty bad. Although the worst stretch for GSP was probably up to his 2nd to last contract, those numbers are just egregiously low

Not the worst but still pretty bad. Although the worst stretch for GSP was probably up to his 2nd to last contract, those numbers are just egregiously low

Its not even bad for where the UFC and GSP were at that point (2004). The following year is when things started to take off more. I think it was the highest year over year as a percentage growth year in their history (that or 06' / 05)

Its not even bad for where the UFC and GSP were at that point (2004). The following year is when things started to take off more. I think it was the highest year over year as a percentage growth year in their history (that or 06' / 05)
Yeah it's probably 05/06 for whatever that is worth.

Yeah it's probably 05/06 for whatever that is worth.

Well you mentioned they were turning it around at that point -- but it was the last card of the year and their least successful by a significant margin

try not to pay attention to Steve-O's face throughout the interview (very distracting)

video starts at Matt Hughes talk.

yes 20 years ago things were different. just like how 100k in ppv sales was epic.

gsp made 6 plus million vs hendricks and many millions vs bisping.

GSP is giving good advice.

Don't just accept lowball offers.

Consult with an advisor first.

The UFC executives are not your childhood friends who want to give you 30% or 40% of the revenue because they care about your health, your family, or your future. They want more profit for themselves.

It boggles my mind that some Sherdoggers are on the executive side instead of the fighter side. It's like you enjoy watching gladiators get injured or killed in the arena, and then you hail the emperor at the end.

gsp wasnt low balled when he fought hendricks and bisping.

what people made in the 1990s has nothing to do with today.

also where the outrage for how bellator paysfighters or how boxing there thousands thatmake nothing 2.

Pretty sad that GSP fought for 4 years, 12 fights before he could actually make real money. The UFC are dirtbags.

in the early days of the ufc there was no real money to get. everyone was still losing money before the tuf 1 finale and show blow thing up in a godo way.

it well say if tuf 1 show had failed the ufc might not be around any more. the brothers said this was teh last check they write. they would been forced to try and sell the ufc or fold out right.

it was a different time when money was way less duh.
I'm betting you're one of the few shills on here that don't get paid.

You're a volunteer.
<{MingNope}>

....<Kobe213>

Not sure how good GSP's advice is for your average fighter. He's at worst the 2nd greatest fighter of all time, popular in his home country, bilingual and charismatic. Those aren't things you can learn or even really control.

In other words, saying fighters should be more like GSP is like just saying git gud
I am not sure I was suggesting to be more like GSP.. I think the message to take is to understand how the process works, how the UFC will utilize their position/advantage in the negotiations, and do your best to counter that leverage. At the end of the day, it comes down to your ability to put bums in the seats, and that happens for only a few reasons. I cite the Nate Diaz circumstance, as it is an example of how a good fighter was pressured into a bad contract. I doubt if Nate knew then what he knows now, he would have settled for a 8 fight deal for 60/60. The UFC continued to try and hold Nate to that contract even after he became an even bigger draw... Nate used the short-term need of the UFC to getting a bigger payday against Conor, but by that time Diaz was far more aware of what he brought to the table.

Back