GSP made 9K for the first Matt Hughes Title fight

Well he got that cool statue the other day so it’s not all bad.

GSP is giving good advice.

Don't just accept lowball offers.

Consult with an advisor first.

The UFC executives are not your childhood friends who want to give you 30% or 40% of the revenue because they care about your health, your family, or your future. They want more profit for themselves.

It boggles my mind that some Sherdoggers are on the executive side instead of the fighter side. It's like you enjoy watching gladiators get injured or killed in the arena, and then you hail the emperor at the end.

Haven't seen this posted yet.
Pretty interesting video, GSP talks about his negotiations with UFC fairly candidly.

GSP made 3k + 3k in his UFC debut
GSP signed for 9k + 9k for his first UFC title fight, and lost. Made 9k.
Made his first million vs. Jon Fitch.
Says he is now rich enough to live his life several times over.

Last edited:
The Fertitas were also carrying somewhere around a $30 million dollar loss at that time when it came to their stake in the UFC. He was still getting dark era pay. TUF hadn't even aired yet.

Just because investors haven't recoupped the $ they invested yet (when the investment has crazy long term potential) isn't justification for taking a lion's share of the profits and underpaying fighters. Fertitas knew what they were doing and that the UFC would become very profitable, which is why they invested in it in the first place.

Plenty of fighters made a couple hundred bucks to fight when they started. Some didn't even get paid. All this whining about fighter pay drives me nuts, especially when a lot of you stream all the fights.

Mma has come a long way and there's a lot more money in it than there used to be. GSP made $9,000 to fight for a belt, meanwhile, the entry level contract amount is more than that even if you lose and don't get a win bonus now.

Just because investors haven't recoupped the $ they invested yet (when the investment has crazy long term potential) isn't justification for taking a lion's share of the profits and underpaying fighters. Fertitas knew what they were doing and that the UFC would become very profitable, which is why they invested in it in the first place.

Dude.... They didn't know shit and were bleeding money. Like I said this was in 2004 which was pre TUF.

TUF was there last ditch effort and if that didn't work they were going to shut the doors on the whole thing.

In 2004 they were ready to pull the plug, and for some reason Lorenzo decided at the last minute to change his mind.

I've been watching this shit since the 90's and there was no Lions share of money during the dark era. UFC 50 sold 40,000 PPV buys and had a whopping gate of 9000 people, and a lot of those tickets were comp'ed

Pretty sad that GSP fought for 4 years, 12 fights before he could actually make real money. The UFC are dirtbags.

GSP is giving good advice.

Don't just accept lowball offers.

Consult with an advisor first.

The UFC executives are not your childhood friends who want to give you 30% or 40% of the revenue because they care about your health, your family, or your future. They want more profit for themselves.

It boggles my mind that some Sherdoggers are on the executive side instead of the fighter side. It's like you enjoy watching gladiators get injured or killed in the arena, and then you hail the emperor at the end.
understanding the motivations and the forces that drive the behaviors on both sides is important to changing it. so many want to characterize as just good vs evil.

Dude.... They didn't know shit and were bleeding money. Like I said this was in 2004 which was pre TUF.

TUF was there last ditch effort and if that didn't work they were going to shut the doors on the whole thing.

In 2004 they were ready to pull the plug, and for some reason Lorenzo decided at the last minute to change his mind.

I've been watching this shit since the 90's and there was no Lions share of money during the dark era. UFC 50 sold 40,000 PPV buys and had a whopping gate of 9000 people, and a lot of those tickets were comp'ed

Keep buying the Zuffa spin hook line and sinker, dude. The Fertitas made the investment because there was a good chance MMA would take off, and it did. With a 40k ppv buy and a 9000 person gate, that event grossed well upwards of 2 million, yet a title chanllenger only got 9k. You're a fuckin joke for defending this.

Last edited:
understanding the motivations and the forces that drive the behaviors on both sides is important to changing it. so many want to characterize as just good vs evil.

How much is the UFC paying you?

Back