GSP = Lennox Lewis = Overcame both losses

Except GSP isn't/wasn't a dancer like Floyd, he did not give a few pitty pat shots per round that couldn't even kill a fly. GSP was safe, and kept distance, then went for the takedown and smothered the guy, some of his fights were a little boring yes, but I think Floyd is THE MOST BORING of all time his last several fights.

My issue with GSP is that he had the ability to dominate a fight in almost anyway he choose, far too often he choose to point fight, the Matt Serra fight changed his mindset forever, i can't really blame him, but I also can't regard him as the GOAT for the same reason.

Thats funny !
Because Lennox was getting his ass handed to him by Vitaly Klitschko in his last fight before fluking out and getting a cut stoppage, he then took a lot of criticism for retiring after the fight and never giving Vitaly the rematch he deserved

The parallels are huge ! Both of Lennox's losses have been kindve flukes, one good punch landing and lights out

Same could be said for GSP's losses, one is regarded as the biggest fluke in the sports history and the other was also kind of a brain fart by a young GSP

The clincher is the safety first/only style tho, they both had the best physical tools and chose to do the least with them

Conor avenging his loss against Joe Duffy certainly would do even more wonders for his trajectory. Given how good Duffy currently is and now being in the same promotion.

So you think the #2 FW fighting someone who is probably ranked #25-50 in the weight class is good for his career?

Beating anyone in the top 10 is better for his career than avenging that loss.

So it's important for Conor McGregor's career trajectory that he goes back and avenges his losses to Joe Duffy and Artemij Sitenkov?

How about Jose Aldo? Should the UFC sign Luciano Azevedo so Jose Aldo has the chance to avenge that loss and be truly ranked amongst the greats?

Does not having avenged those losses affect either of their respective careers?

There's a difference between losing a world championship fight and losing while you are a developing young fighter. Though if Duffy cracks the top ten at lw I think it's a loss worth avenging.

Lennox didn't lose his interest in fighting and quit at 32yo.

Thats funny !
Because Lennox was getting his ass handed to him by Vitaly Klitschko in his last fight before fluking out and getting a cut stoppage, he then took a lot of criticism for retiring after the fight and never giving Vitaly the rematch he deserved

The parallels are huge ! Both of Lennox's losses have been kindve flukes, one good punch landing and lights out

Same could be said for GSP's losses, one is regarded as the biggest fluke in the sports history and the other was also kind of a brain fart by a young GSP

The clincher is the safety first/only style tho, they both had the best physical tools and chose to do the least with them

A few differences:

Opponent: Vitali was a last minute replacement for a undersized HW challenger, lennox came in out of shape and unprepared for a guy like Vitali. GSP had a full camp for hendricks.

Outcome: Lennox stopped Vitali in the 6th round, on cuts but he was obviously turning the fight around at that moment and it's hard to see vitali lasting all 12 rounds.

My issue with GSP is that he had the ability to dominate a fight in almost anyway he choose, far too often he choose to point fight, the Matt Serra fight changed his mindset forever, i can't really blame him, but I also can't regard him as the GOAT for the same reason.

That is a fair assessment. (I just didn't agree with the other poster saying he was like Floyd)
Especially since his nickname was Rush, and there was no resemblance of "RUSH" his last few fights. But hey, he was the champ and as much as we can criticize him they should have taken the belt, which they could not. To be the man, you gotta beat the man and they could not beat him. He could not be reckless or he'd get KO'd. Huge power from Hendricks, and Condit is an extremely dangerous striker, Diaz of course was a very good as well. All probably better "strikers" than himself.

Lennox didn't lose his interest in fighting and quit at 32yo.

Actually quitting at 32 before you've had time to accumulate brain damage is a very good thing, I wish more fighters did it. In particular, I wish Muhammed Ali had quit at 32. And Chuck Liddell. And I suspect Freddy Roach wishes he'd quite earlier too.

Fighters retiring early isn't a problem, there's always a young kid to replace them. The problem has always been fighters staying in too long.

My guess is that a lot of times the fighter is ready to quit, but managers and their entourage convince them to stay in for the money. Leaving early like GSP or Marciano (retired age 33) is the better way, and I respect the ones who can do that.

And stay retired - Ali retired and came back. At this point GSP still might prove himself to be too mentally weak to stay retired.

Actually quitting at 32 before you've had time to accumulate brain damage is a very good thing, I wish more fighters did it. In particular, I wish Muhammed Ali had quit at 32. And Chuck Liddell. And I suspect Freddy Roach wishes he'd quite earlier too.

Fighters retiring early isn't a problem, there's always a young kid to replace them. The problem has always been fighters staying in too long.

My guess is that a lot of times the fighter is ready to quit, but managers and their entourage convince them to stay in for the money. Leaving early like GSP or Marciano (retired age 33) is the better way, and I respect the ones who can do that.

And stay retired - Ali retired and came back. At this point GSP still might prove himself to be too mentally weak to stay retired.

Roach retired at 26, he was unlucky

Don't forget the fact that both are one quarter Canadian too. Or something like that.

So you think the #2 FW fighting someone who is probably ranked #25-50 in the weight class is good for his career?

Beating anyone in the top 10 is better for his career than avenging that loss.

I think eventually Duffy is going to prove just how elite he really is. So in the future, I believe it will be a very interesting match-up and do wonders for Conor's legacy if he's able to avenge that loss. Especially now that both of them are even better than they were when the originally fought. I think the UFC is bringing up Duffy similar to how they brought Conor up. Duffy has shored up his strikings leaps and bounds since then, and it probably goes without saying...he still has the edge in grappling/submissions.

If Hendricks didn't back down from WADA testing it wouldn't have been as close.

Well, WADA testing is a hassle, you know? Sometimes you're in the middle of a World of Warcraft raid and you have to take a piss test. Or maybe you're on your way out to get some laundry detergent when they show up. It's just inconvenient.

Johny ain't got time for dat. He's a busy man.

Pretty sure that's why he backed down.

Well, WADA testing is a hassle, you know? Sometimes you're in the middle of a World of Warcraft raid and you have to take a piss test. Or maybe you're on your way out to get some laundry detergent when they show up. It's just inconvenient.

Johny ain't got time for dat. He's a busy man.

Pretty sure that's why he backed down.

your forgot bbq

I think so too. The two rounds Hendricks won were the most dominant of the fight, but according to the rules you score per round.

Hendricks clearly won two rounds

GSP won 3 very close rounds.

I agree.

Back