GSP = Lennox Lewis = Overcame both losses

Lewis was getting out-boxed by Vitali before it was stopped, and he then retired as everyone was clamoring for a rematch.

Definitely some similarities in both of their records.

Lewis did turn it around a bit into the fight though and was having more success including opening the cut that stopped the match, something few disagreed with so its a less than convincing win for Lewis but not a dodgy decision to get it as with GSP.

Big difference of course that Lewis finished most of his opponents and fought at HW were the risk of upset is greater.

Lewis was getting out-boxed by Vitali before it was stopped, and he then retired as everyone was clamoring for a rematch.

Definitely some similarities in both of their records.

Lewis was in the worst shape of his career, was turning the fight around and then did this to Vitali's face:

bloodyklit02.jpg

This isn't team sports.

In fight sports where your career trajectory is literally based on wins and losses, avenging a loss is very much a genuine stat.

So it's important for Conor McGregor's career trajectory that he goes back and avenges his losses to Joe Duffy and Artemij Sitenkov?

How about Jose Aldo? Should the UFC sign Luciano Azevedo so Jose Aldo has the chance to avenge that loss and be truly ranked amongst the greats?

Does not having avenged those losses affect either of their respective careers?

GSP is like Floyd, a legitimate all time great, but one who will inevitably fall down the list due to having a saftey first anti fighting mindset.

The true legends put it all on the line.

Except GSP isn't/wasn't a dancer like Floyd, he did not give a few pitty pat shots per round that couldn't even kill a fly. GSP was safe, and kept distance, then went for the takedown and smothered the guy, some of his fights were a little boring yes, but I think Floyd is THE MOST BORING of all time his last several fights.

So it's important for Conor McGregor's career trajectory that he goes back and avenges his losses to Joe Duffy and Artemij Sitenkov?

How about Jose Aldo? Should the UFC sign Luciano Azevedo so Jose Aldo has the chance to avenge that loss and be truly ranked amongst the greats?

Conor avenging his loss against Joe Duffy certainly would do even more wonders for his trajectory. Given how good Duffy currently is and now being in the same promotion.

Interesting parallell.

He didn't overcome the loss to Hendricks though.

trolololol

If Hendricks didn't back down from WADA testing it wouldn't have been as close.

There's a statute of limitations obviously.

Aldo creaming Azavedo isn't gonna do anything at this point as Aldo got to the next level, think Anderson V. Chonan..

But if Conor were to go back and avenge the Duffy loss, what with Duffy still active and looking good would absolutely make an impact as it's referenced all the time.

GSP avenging those losses is pertinent because he rematched both of them in relatively short order while they were still relevant.

Lewis was in the worst shape of his career, was turning the fight around and then did this to Vitali's face:

bloodyklit02.jpg

No doubt had the fight had continued, Lewis would've likely won due to the cut, but he definitely wasn't winning at that point. Hardly a convincing victory. Would've loved to see the rematch.

p.s. Lewis > Vitali, overall.

How did I know this would reopen the Hendricks vs GSP/Lewis vs Klitchko debates.

Both avenged anyone who ever beat them
Both retired as champion
Both are great fighters
Both were under appreciated for not being American

Also, I love Lewis response to being asked about being down on the scorecards when it was stopped "Irrelevant, I wasn't in there looking for a decision win"

No doubt had the fight had continued, Lewis would've likely won due to the cut, but he definitely wasn't winning at that point. Hardly a convincing victory. Would've loved to see the rematch.

p.s. Lewis > Vitali, overall.

I agree, it was a good fight and shame it ended that way. Vitali was a beast of a man, I still remember him taking a flush uppercut in that fight that would of floored 99.9% of the division.

yeah and both boring as fuck

Lewis had some great moments though, amazing power.

GSP is like Floyd, a legitimate all time great, but one who will inevitably fall down the list due to having a saftey first anti fighting mindset.

The true legends put it all on the line.

>implying GSP isn't a "True Legend"

GSP is the GOAT. Jones and Fedor are right there too.

Anderson is a step below because steroids and Weidman

Lol at people talking about the Hendricks fight. At the worst he lost by a round which was a toss up round. Sorry folks UFC fights are scored round by round and Hendricks only clearly won two in a 5 round fight.

GSP would have clearly won thd fight had he not tripped over Hendricks foot in the 4th round. I find it puzzling almost no one brings this up seeing as GSP was pretty easily beating Hendricks after he punched himself out in the second round.

It all came down to the 1st round in that fight, whoever you think won that - won the match.

My opinion on the fight is that GSP got his ass kicked by a bigger, stronger guy, and took a hell of a lot of damage...

...however, MMA is a sport, and according to the rules, and how it is scored, GSP won the match. He outpointed Hendricks and won more rounds.

To those who say "It could have gone either way" most agree that to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. That should be the end of the discussion.

To those who say that Hendricks clearly won, they are obviously GSP haters, and should re-watch the fight round by round in as unbiased a way possible and see if they still hold the same opinion.

If Hendricks wanted the belt, he should have put GSP away either with a T/KO or a submission, and not left it in the hands of the judges.

My opinion on the fight is that GSP got his ass kicked by a bigger, stronger guy, and took a hell of a lot of damage...

...however, MMA is a sport, and according to the rules, and how it is scored, GSP won the match. He outpointed Hendricks and won more rounds.

To those who say "It could have gone either way" most agree that to be the champ, you have to beat the champ. That should be the end of the discussion.

To those who say that Hendricks clearly won, they are obviously GSP haters, and should re-watch the fight round by round in as unbiased a way possible and see if they still hold the same opinion.

If Hendricks wanted the belt, he should have put GSP away either with a T/KO or a submission, and not left it in the hands of the judges.

You're logic is flawed, "have to beat the champ" is just non-sense, MMA is a sport and sports have rules and scoring. I'm sure Hendricks did the best he could, and it's still a razor close fight that is a toss-up (even if I give the edge to Hendricks).

Well GSP ducked Hendricks in a rematch when it was a close fight that GSP won.

Lewis ducked Klitch in a rematch when it was a close fight that Lewis won.

so yea you are correct TS lol

Not that much damage - GSP won the fifth round, and you don't do that if you've taken a hell of a lot of damage. Unless he has a +5 belt of regeneration he wears while fighting. If you've taken a lot of damage you're basically hanging on hoping to make it to the end of the fight. GSP was pushing the action in the fifth rounds, and won it on almost everyone's score card.

Hendricks did more damage (under Pride scoring he would have won), but lets not exaggerate - GSP looked stronger in the 5th round than Hendricks did. That says everything you need to know about how much actual damage (as opposed to superficial cuts etc) Hendricks did.

Well GSP ducked Hendricks in a rematch when it was a close fight that GSP won.

Lewis ducked Klitch in a rematch when it was a close fight that Lewis won.

so yea you are correct TS lol

Retiring isn't ducking. Not giving a rematch and fighting someone else is ducking. Otherwise you can never retire on a winning streak without "ducking" the last people you beat.

Back