GSP: Diaz deserves the shot

Really? Cause my MMA coach with over 12years of experience and 30 professional fights says Diaz clearly won due to aggression, moving forward, and octagon control. Get off that high horse, buddy
First of all, aggression is a completely separate criteria from octagon control so leave that out.

Octagon control (or fight area control as it's called in the rules) is about who's dictating the pace and where the action takes place. Moving forward doesn't necessarily mean that you're the one that's deciding what's happening.

That's easily seen by watching Condit vs Nick and GSP respectively. Nick was just lured to follow Condit so the latter could decide when the action took place and when it didn't. GSP, on the other hand, actually pressured Condit by cutting him off and limiting how he could move (and of course the extreme control on the ground, but that's not much to compare since Nick only managed that once).

And I maintain that having that aspect wrong is a fundamental flaw in knowledge. And yes, there are professional fighters and coaches that have fundamental flaws in their knowledge about the rules. The refs say so themselves and that's why they go over the rules every single time there's a fight. Herb Dean even explained that it's not only about them understanding rules wrong, there are also several rules fighters don't even know about.

And how exactly do you know this to be true? Cause if you don't please STFU with your condescending BS and stop stating your opinions as facts
Didn't you follow what happened after Diaz beat Penn? Dana told the media that he had never seen GSP that angry and that he had literary begged Dana to give him Diaz so he could shut him up. When Diaz vs Condit was about to happen GSP openly said he was rooting for Diaz so he could get his chance to beat him.

The marketability aspect is mentioned in the article in this thread.

First of all, aggression is a completely separate criteria from octagon control so leave that out.

Octagon control (or fight area control as it's called in the rules) is about who's dictating the pace and where the action takes place. Moving forward doesn't necessarily mean that you're the one that's deciding what's happening.

That's easily seen by watching Condit vs Nick and GSP respectively. Nick was just lured to follow Condit so the latter could decide when the action took place and when it didn't. GSP, on the other hand, actually pressured Condit by cutting him off and limiting how he could move (and of course the extreme control on the ground, but that's not much to compare since Nick only managed that once).

And I maintain that having that aspect wrong is a fundamental flaw in knowledge. And yes, there are professional fighters and coaches that have fundamental flaws in their knowledge about the rules. The refs say so themselves and that's why they go over the rules every single time there's a fight. Herb Dean even explained that it's not only about them understanding rules wrong, there are also several rules fighters don't even know about.

Didn't you follow what happened after Diaz beat Penn? Dana told the media that he had never seen GSP that angry and that he had literary begged Dana to give him Diaz so he could shut him up. When Diaz vs Condit was about to happen GSP openly said he was rooting for Diaz so he could get his chance to beat him.

GSP at his heart is a take down machine. There is no way to game plan that. Diaz on the other hand is a striker, he will not go to the ground unless threatened. You can game Diaz by refusing to strike and counterstriking when appropriate.

Diaz needs to get another string to his bow so that he can pressure the people who try to gameplan him just like GSP can.

GSP at his heart is a take down machine. There is no way to game plan that. Diaz on the other hand is a striker, he will not go to the ground unless threatened. You can game Diaz by refusing to strike and counterstriking when appropriate.

Diaz needs to get another string to his bow so that he can pressure the people who try to gameplan him just like GSP can.
That's correct. I think what Diaz primarily needs is to make his boxing complete. He has very good hands but not very good footwork at all. With good footwork he could pressure people far more than he can now. If he could move well in all directions, in combination with his great cardio, he would be very interesting to watch standing up.

Getting better takedowns is of course another option but I think that's less likely, both due to his mentality and his physical abilities. That said I don't think it's too likely that he'll change his footwork either. He's been moving the same way for so long now.

That's correct. I think what Diaz primarily needs is to make his boxing complete. He has very good hands but not very good footwork at all. With good footwork he could pressure people far more than he can now. If he could move well in all directions, in combination with his great cardio, he would be very interesting to watch standing up.

Getting better takedowns is of course another option but I think that's less likely, both due to his mentality and his physical abilities. That said I don't think it's too likely that he'll change his footwork either. He's been moving the same way for so long now.

Good points. Improved footwork would in turn improve his TDD and takedown offense. He would become a far more effective fighter with improved footwork. But then again im a guy on sherdog and he's fighting GSP so what do I know.

LOL @ deserving the shot. He is just trying to justify for it after the outrage from a lot of fans.
GSP just knows he will be taking Diaz down easier than taking candy from a baby. Not so much with Hendricks.

Yes, but just because Hendricks will be tougher to take down, doesnt mean GSP wont still do it. He has taken down every wrestler he's faced, so...

Since it's safe to assume both of them would end up on their backs, it's actually clear that Diaz has to be considered the tougher matchup once that happens.

Agreed. The idea of Nick Diaz improving or changing is one of such low odds it's stupid to think about it. We all wonder what could Diaz do if he changed up a few things but lets be real, he won't do it because he has his principles. He would rather be eaten up by a LnP artist like GSP than find a way to win.

Same with Condit, he was happy to continually push the fight but not actually end it.

Good points. Improved footwork would in turn improve his TDD and takedown offense. He would become a far more effective fighter with improved footwork. But then again im a guy on sherdog and he's fighting GSP so what do I know.
In this particular event we at least share an opinion with Freddie Roach so that lends a little more credibility on the matter of boxing.

Agreed. The idea of Nick Diaz improving or changing is one of such low odds it's stupid to think about it. We all wonder what could Diaz do if he changed up a few things but lets be real, he won't do it because he has his principles. He would rather be eaten up by a LnP artist like GSP than find a way to win.

Same with Condit, he was happy to continually push the fight but not actually end it.

You cant really teach a old dog new tricks

Whinner is gonna whine!
Diaz clearly won the fight 1, 2, 5!
he is the interim! Henderick lost to Kos 9/10
So STFU go fuck urselves if u don't want to watch this

Gotcha. So lets change that first statement from 'fundamentals of MMA' to 'specific wording of judging criteria in the UFC, particularly pertaining to octagon control'. I don't know the exact wording, so I won't debate you

DW can hype the fight any way he wants, here-say is here-say. And though marketability is likely a reason GSP chose this fight, no one knows for sure but GSP. Claiming it's because he desperately wants to beat Diaz up seems unlikely to me. Anyway, regardless of his motivations, I do give him credit for calling for what I believe is his toughest possible matchup at WW

Simple why GSP wants Diaz before Hendrix ex champ or new upandcomer (i'd take ex champ looks good on resume), grudge match, fight was already setup.
If Hendrix is that good he will win in nine months regardless.

i agree with GSP Kos deserved the nod in the hendricks fight. with that said, i hope Nick does better than Nate did in this title fight

Its the fight both want and its the fight ufc want... get it done and dusted I say/

Hendricks and Jake both have a string of wins to warrant there worth for title shots, one can say even Mike Pierce has. Plenty of guys, kampmann needs a good win or 2 before in the mix.

Your talking about one of the most popular weight classes, let them fight amongst each other and when GSP is ready hes ready.

I think its good if jake wins which he can then in a sense he takes over as potential no1 contender and all of a sudden hes back... if Hendricks wins there can be no question he gets the next shot. Props to him for not sitting and waiting like condit and others, this is why even im happy for Condit hes a fighter again...

Gotcha. So lets change that first statement from 'fundamentals of MMA' to 'specific wording of judging criteria in the UFC, particularly pertaining to octagon control'. I don't know the exact wording, so I won't debate you

DW can hype the fight any way he wants, here-say is here-say. And though marketability is likely a reason GSP chose this fight, no one knows for sure but GSP. Claiming it's because he desperately wants to beat Diaz up seems unlikely to me. Anyway, regardless of his motivations, I do give him credit for calling for what I believe is his toughest possible matchup at WW
It isn't about the wording, it's about knowing the most basic rules of MMA (the scoring system). If you don't know them you will miss things when watching, and risk fighting in the wrong way if you're fighting. It's fundamental to the sport, just as knowing in what ways you can score in football.

But the point is that it's not just Dana who said it, GSP has called Nick disrespectful and said that he wants to fight him. He's never said something like that about anyone, save for perhaps Penn after their second fight.

I don't know if I think it's GSP's toughest match up but it's definitely up there and should be a great fight.

How does Hendricks deserve a shot? He won 5 fights in a row. Hardly. Jim Miller won 7 in a row and never got a shot. I think hendricks lost to koshcheck anyway. Diaz had 11 straight wins before the condit fight. That many believe he won. I don't see how condit won that fight on leg kicks and moving away. Diaz landed more to the body and head, won the grappling part of the fight, octagon control and agression. There for diaz deserves the shot. 99% of the people on sherdog don't know jack about mma. It's like arguing with retarteds. With that said im out.

He's coming off a loss, GSP. We're not idiots. Take your easy, hand picked fight and shut up about it.

Lol bullshit, I'm a Bonified GSP hater, and everything he said was on the money here. Even GSP knows Condit really lost that fight to Diaz.

Not a GSP fan, but he has fought every single guy the UFC has put in front of him without complaining. Other than Hughes for the rematch, this is the first time I've heard of him requesting an opponent. He's due.

Add to it that this is a fight I want to see and, Nick deserving or not, I'll forgive GSP on this one.

Not a GSP fan, but he has fought every single guy the UFC has put in front of him without complaining. Other than Hughes for the rematch, this is the first time I've heard of him requesting an opponent. He's due.

Add to it that this is a fight I want to see and, Nick deserving or not, I'll forgive GSP on this one.

I assume you mean every 170 lber, surely you didn't miss the A.Silva fiasco.

Back