GSP: Diaz deserves the shot

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre (32-2) believes Nick Diaz (26-8) is the true #1 contender. Although he acknowledges Johny Hendricks (14-1) has been on a tear in recent months, GSP says Diaz has earned his shot. See the video at MMA Weekly.

"I do feel bad for Johny Hendricks, but put yourself in my shoes - this is the big fight, this fight's been waiting to happen for a long time. What do you want me to do, you know, I can't split myself in two ... I believe at the bottom of my heart Diaz deserves the shot ... I hope he's not going to do something crazy before our fight, because I don't want to train all that time for nothing ... Hendricks, when he fought Koscheck, personally, I would have given the fight to Koscheck ... Most people want Diaz too, believe me. People will tune in for this fight way more than Hendricks. I believe Nick Diaz is the #1 ranked. His fight with Condit is very controversial - for some people he won the fight, for some he lost."​
From MMA Lives Here

Diaz doesn't deserve to get a shot, he lost his last fight.

He's coming off a loss, GSP. We're not idiots. Take your easy, hand picked fight and shut up about it.

Gsp vs Hendricks SHOULD happen
Gsp vs Diaz NEEDS to happen

Hendricks has his hands full with Ellenberger imo. Its going to be a tough fight.

If GSP defeats Diaz & Hendricks then he's likely to move up and fight the Spider.

GSP is doing what's best for him. More money and he gets to outclass Diaz.

Yes, not showing up for pressers and fucking yourself out of your first title shot, then getting one anyways and losing and getting suspended for a year certainly earns him a title shot in my opinion.

Yes, not showing up for pressers and fucking yourself out of your first title shot, then getting one anyways and losing and getting suspended for a year certainly earns him a title shot in my opinion.

lol this :icon_lol:

Thruth be told its not like he doesnt deserve it at all...like Chael I mean. He does.

Actually I cant think of anyone in the 170 Divion apart from Hendrix who deserves it more.

I love how Georges is so cool about it all and Hendericks is on the other side freaking out, trying everything he can to make it seem like the champ is ducking him. If Hendericks beats Ellenberger, he has already lost the GSP fight in my opinion. Georges is slowly and methodically getting inside his head.

Holy shit that's funny. I think GSP wants Diaz not just for the big fight, but because Diaz talked a lot of shit and it got under Georges skin. He wants to shut that mouth like Bendo did to the younger punk brother.

LOL @ deserving the shot. He is just trying to justify for it after the outrage from a lot of fans.
GSP just knows he will be taking Diaz down easier than taking candy from a baby. Not so much with Hendricks.

I like GSP for saying that. This is the fight I want to see. Diaz did not lose to Condit. Condit ran and judging was terrible. Diaz won on aggression and octagon control.

You put this very incisively but I think it all becomes clear once we realise that the notion of desert is misplaced here. The best fight for the athletes and the promotion isn't necessarily the one that pits the most accomplished athletes against each other but the most marketable. And in this connection, it must be said that Diaz has enough talent that his antics help rather than hurt him.

Back