Gripper question

Amnesiac

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking into getting a COC gripper because my grip is starting to limit me on my deadlifts. Right now I'm pulling up to 315 and thats about all my hands can hold right now. I'm just wondering what gripper you guys suggest that I start out with. I don't have a lot of cash so I was hoping to be able to get by with one for now. Thanks.

Should probably go with a number 2. You may not be able to close it but you can do negatives and such. There's grip info in the FAQ you should read if you haven't already.

Try hanging for time on a pull-up bar or doing rack lockouts with more weight than you can deadlift. You don't *need* a gripper.

If you have a hard time holding on to 315, a #2 will be useless for you.

thanks, thats about where I thought I'd be at. I also need to start doing more of those plate holds from the faq as it's an area thats definitely holding me back.

I'll have to try hanging for time and I have been doing more rack pulls lately for this reason as well.

IMO the #2 will be too difficult for you to close fully. Unless you've done some serious grip work in the past.

Try hanging for time on a pull-up bar or doing rack lockouts with more weight than you can deadlift. You don't *need* a gripper.

If you have a hard time holding on to 315, a #2 will be useless for you.

agree with all of that. theres plenty of other ways to train grip, especially considering you don't want to spend money. plate pinches are good too, they're in the FAQ.

and yeah i think a #2 would be useless to you if you are going to buy one. id go with a #1.

I was deadlifting in the low 400's when I first got my number one and closed it. Holding the heaviest deadlift of the workout for as long as I can has me helped me more than grippers have though.

Didn't mean to give out bad info, the FAQ recommends starting with a #2 and I wish I would have.

Are you using a mixed grip or double overhand?

For deadlifts there's a hump you have to get over and once you're past that you're pretty much in the clear. Do static holds with dumbbells, farmers walks, and static DB holds with towels.

I just wanted to let you know that, about 8 months ago I was really into my CoC grippers. I could close my #2 easily and my #1.5 for 10+ reps. At the same time I was grip limited in the deadlift, I couldn't pull more than 315 for several weeks.

Soon I gave up grip training, and continued deadlifting. Now I can rep 315 several times and have deadlifted 405 with no grip issues at all. Last week I busted out my grippers again, and couldn't even get the #2 to close..

Anyway, the moral is basically that crush strength doesn't correlate to grip strength. For better grip, you should grip more. Deadlift, towel pull-ups, and plate pinches are great.

I just wanted to let you know that, about 8 months ago I was really into my CoC grippers. I could close my #2 easily and my #1.5 for 10+ reps. At the same time I was grip limited in the deadlift, I couldn't pull more than 315 for several weeks.

Soon I gave up grip training, and continued deadlifting. Now I can rep 315 several times and have deadlifted 405 with no grip issues at all. Last week I busted out my grippers again, and couldn't even get the #2 to close..

Anyway, the moral is basically that crush strength doesn't correlate to grip strength. For better grip, you should grip more. Deadlift, towel pull-ups, and plate pinches are great.

Supporting strength translates into crushing grip to a degree. I closed my #2 gripper without training for it specifically, only using thick handled dumbells in my routine.

Supporting strength translates into crushing grip to a degree. I closed my #2 gripper without training for it specifically, only using thick handled dumbells in my routine.

Bicep curling correlates to bench press to a degree, also. Just saying as far as grip goes, more or less the least important thing is how good you are at crushing grippers. Isometric holds or support grip helps the most at improving your support grip.

The CoC's did help me when grip started limiting my DL. If 315 is limited by your grip buy the #1.

if u dont use chalk for deadlifts then i highly suggest you start. thickbar and heavy static holds with progressively higher weight or more thickness will help a lot. Time holds with closed grippers will also help a lot.

Supporting grip and crushing grip a 2 different kinds of grip and training 1 isn't nessicarrily going to carry over a great deal to the other.

thanks for the input guys, lots of good info here. I use a OU grip and I think my main problem is that I broke my hand a few years ago and it kind of gives out on me.

Gonna start doin some towel pullups and things like that. Plate pinches are also something I have to do more of as well as rack pulls.

I'd also love to start using chalk but my gym doesn't allow it. Sucks pretty bad and it's pretty much a metro gym. I haven't seen anyone deadlift more than me-and thats sayin something.

Have you considered switching to an underhand-overhand grip? What I usually do is use the double overhand in my warm-up sets until my grip fails and then switch to underhand-overhand. As long as your warm-ups increase so will your grip.

tonight i had done my deadlifts for only the second time ever. I could knock out a few sets at 240 but then my grip just wouldnt hold the weight. I am goign to do some of the thoings mentioned here.

I also tried the over and under grip and it didnt seem to help me at all.l

are you using your thumbs when you grip? wrap your thumb over your fingers and the bar and squeeze as tightly as you can when you start your pull

I know it seems obvious but after learning that people bench without thumbs I thought it might be worth saying

Back