Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones career

What a bullshit fight. Gifting a title fight like this makes the UFC looks so stupid.

Aside from Gustaffson and maybe Hendo, I prefer this fight than any other for JBJ. We don't need to see him rape Machida or Shogun again.

If you take away the hype and Sonnens witty little one liners, this fight is a bigger mismatch than Silvan/Bonnar.

Sonnen's greatest accomplishment is a win over Marquardt, losing twice to Silva, and a controversial decision win over Bisping. Forrest Griffin, who beat Sonnen, has a better chance against Jones.

This will be Jones easiest fight to date.

Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones career

Now we know where GSP got this one-liner from :icon_lol:.

Chael Sonnen is a great wrestlet that can present an interesting challenge to Jon Jones but I don't think he will be able to take Jones down at will because Jones is very good when dealing with wrestlers and he has been more than capable when it comes down to putting them on their backs, as was the case in his fights against Matt Hamill, Vladimir Matyushenko, Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans. Looking at Jon Jones resume it is easy to see that Chael Sonnen won't be presenting any new challenges for Jon Jones.

Really just depends on how good his TDD is. Jones is so much bigger and stronger I don't really see him struggling.

The thing is guys like Jones tend to gas if the pace is pushed against them. I really doubt he'll lose to Chael Sonnen but if his TDD and cardio turn out to be suspect then who knows.

nothing more than bullshit hype combined with some political correctness.

Jackson is a tool.

Chael is to slow and his wrestling isnt good enough to take Jones down. It's gonna be a short night for Chael.

If you take away the hype and Sonnens witty little one liners, this fight is a bigger mismatch than Silvan/Bonnar.

Sonnen's greatest accomplishment is a win over Marquardt, losing twice to Silva, and a controversial decision win over Bisping. Forrest Griffin, who beat Sonnen, has a better chance against Jones.

This will be Jones easiest fight to date.

exactly! if you actually look at who Sonnen has beat you'll realize he's not in JBJ's league.

Not to mention he doesn't fight at this weight-class...

Barring some sort of 12-6 elbow mental lapse (wouldn't be the first time), or Jones freakishly breaking an ankle Sonnen has no chance.

Really just depends on how good his TDD is. Jones is so much bigger and stronger I don't really see him struggling.

The thing is guys like Jones tend to gas if the pace is pushed against them. I really doubt he'll lose to Chael Sonnen but if his TDD and cardio turn out to be suspect then who knows.
What makes you think Jones will gas? When's the last time we seen him gas ?

Jon Jones has proven how good his takedown defense is by dominating Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans.

Sonnen is not a better wrestler than Evans, and Jones has been several times in championship rounds, and has look just fine. Sonnen is in big trouble.

I want Jones to go into this fight with bad, BAD intentions. I mean really make Sonnen earn his paycheck in pain.

Everyone has tried to strike with Jones and lost. Chael will try and wresltle with him. Vs all the other guys it was Jones striking and defence that was challenged. NOw its going to be his conditioning and wrestling. That is one element of Jones game we havent seen yet and Chael is the right guy to test it.

Right style, wrong weight class

Really? I doubt it. Sonnen would get handled by most of the fighters Jones has beaten in title fights. This fight will be a cakewalk. I know Greg Jackson can't say that, but I don't understand why he always feels the need to say this for every single fight. It's so disingenuous and annoying.

link - Greg Jackson: Chael Sonnen will be one of the toughest fights of Jon Jones' career

You really are fucking stupid.

Sonnen has a tough mind, good conditioning and strength and is probably still having elevated test levels. His biggest strength is JJs biggest strength. It will be a tough fight in the sense of "it will be an absolute drag for Jonny to have to beat the shit out of a guy who can wrestle and isn't afraid of being repetitive and grinding".

nope_zps9cfa59f3.gif

God, what a disgusting beard. :icon_lol: Can somebody tell this guy to shave?

If Jones continues to exclusively fight failed Middleweight contenders that might be the case

Failed Middleweight contenders.

Stop sucking on a certain brazilians nuts.

Jon Jones has proven how good his takedown defense is by dominating Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans.

Sonnen is not a better wrestler than Evans, and Jones has been several times in championship rounds, and has look just fine. Sonnen is in big trouble.

Sonnen definitely isn't a better wrestler than Rashad -- But he is a different wrestler. Rashad doesn't push the pace like Sonnen, and IMO Sonnen will do as good if not better than Rashad did.

Jones 49-46 or via 4th Rd Sub.

Back