Greatest Muay Thai Fighters of All Time, as voted by Thai Legends

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by AndyMaBobs, Apr 29, 2020.

1. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Most of the Jocky Gym guys that I've seen have got quite an evasive style - Pipa taught Saenchai + Silipathai and gave them that tricky femur style, I think but I don't know for sure that he taught Lerdsila too - the timeline matches up for it but I've never read/heard anything concrete that says he did

2. thunder and fury Yellow Belt

Dieselnoi got KOed in a boxing match , Somrak was always skilled at boxing since his early days , Samart was a genius so he made the transition easily and won a boxing title .
    Samart went up in weigh and got KOed by Paruhadlek , Dieselnoi almost fought Rob Kaman .

Those guy couldn't find fights at all so they went to boxing or up in weigh .
    Saenchai always has fights because he played by the stadium and gambling rules .
    No way Samart or Somrak would lose to a guy like Petchboonchu for several time even if Petch was a few pounds bigger .
    Fighters were way better back then .

3. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

If Sylvie's translation is correct, Namkabuan implied that fights were pretty much rigged also back in his days. Essentially he claimed that it was essential for a camp to have a big bettor behind his fighter to lean on judges. He implied that if your fighter had a big "influencer" against him, that odds were that the judges were likely to make him lose at the slightest pretext.

Not my opinion (WTF would I know about that), but what I read on that "watch with the fighter" vid.

I thought it was a pretty massive allegation TBH, lol.

4. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

SOrry are you implying that Saenchai took dives "to play by the stadium and gambling rules"? Not sure I catch your drift.

5. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

The "belief" you're talking about didn't appear out of thin air. All the information we have comes from the fighters themselves and has never been refuted.

Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu, who knows Dielselnoi more than anyone from meeting him in person and reading everything that can be found on the man, wrote:
    Above is an video excerpt from an 18 minute interview I did with the immortal Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn, the greatest knee fighter in history, who ultimately was stripped of his Lumpinee Belt and forced into an early retirement because nobody would fight him.
    https://8limbsus.com/patreon-supporter-content/interview-dieselnoi-state-muay-thai

Dieselnoi himself also said he didn't want to retire:
    I became a coach when I was 24, as far as if I have any regrets in the ring, I got tired of fighting. Lol., this is a joke, I wanted to fight more but there were no opponents. I wasn’t sure if I could fight or not, but I still practiced everyday, for many years, no one would like that right? So I gave up.
    https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-thailand/a-short-biography-of-dieselnoi-chor-thanasukarn

If you have any evidence that Dieselnoi and Sylvie are lying, please share it with us so we can make sure your opinion is based on facts rather than emotion and speculation.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  6. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

Nobody has reached the same level of domination as Samart, Dieselnoi and Somrak. They are the 3 best muay thai fighters of all time in my book.

7. verrix White Belt

Dieselnoi's career trajectory is weird and probably has more to do with his involvement with Klaew Thanikul than anything else. He seemed to be part of Klaew's PR project, as the manager of the best fighter in Thailand, so fighting or especially beating Dieselnoi might have backfired.

Sylvie starts talking about this about 16mins in, talking specifically about Klaew killing the Hapalang gym owner over some dispute.

8. UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

The point about Muay Thai internet legends is that they could've been invented/played up/misinterpreted by someone who wrote a top ten goats article on siamfightnews or other seminal Muay Thai site and due to lack of information the other half a dozen people who follow Muay Thai took it on their word.

not that there is a global conspiracy or superpowers playing the strings from above. there is no history to rewrite. Muay Thai history (in English) is written right here at f42 <Moves>

9. Cocakillbana Black Belt

If this is true it would indicate fighters of that era didn't have to put up with the weight advantages of today's fighters. He never would've been "forced" into retirement if that was happening.

And having no opponents seems a bit strange, no? You'd think it wouldn't take long for challengers to emerge in a sport that isn't stagnant, especially during a period where the fighters were innately just so much better than the junk that would follow in the 21st century.

To continue my speculation: I think a reason for Dieselnoi retiring was he physically outgrew the competitive weight areas, so in a sense I believe he was forced to retire.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  10. SuperLuigi Red Belt

I remember a while ago Sylvie also commented that in modern MT weight advantages don't really go above 2-3 kg but in the golden age it was common for them to be more than this. It could explain why Dieselnoi had to retire, no high level guys bigger than him. And also I never knew he fought Rob Kaman, Im guessing Dieselnoi won?

11. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

If I am not mistaken, Namkabuan said that in Thailand [back in the days] the weights had to match.

12. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

There are things about 8limbs that I'm not fond of, they've spread misinformation before + in their essays posted to their forums they will often present speculation but kind of perpetuate the idea that it's fact. (Not hating on them, I'm a patreon supporter and am always recommending their work, just an observation on my part)

But I don't personally see Dieselnoi lying or being deceptive. I could see the idea that Dieselnoi is incorrect, but I don't think it would be out of wilful deception.

13. SandisLL Brown Belt

Proms and managers usually, if guy is well known, are able to make better sales for tickets and broadcasting rights.
    That's the reason why they like to use a guy unil he is able to move in the ring.

---
    Dieselnoi always resembled to me a very big weight cutter.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. Mickf Orange Belt

Karuhat was known for fighting larger opponents because he was so good. Its said he rarely lost fighting opponents his own size

15. verrix White Belt

Fighters moved up weight classes and fought with 1-2lb differences pretty often. I don't want to go through that video again right now but I am 99.99% sure he was comparing it to his fight with Dekkers where they did not weigh in.

16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Yes that is correct it is in that context that he mentioned it, saying that there was a weight mismatch that could not have happened in Thailand (the Dekkers/Namkabuan fight was in Marocco as I am sure you know) since in Thailand weight classes are always observed.

17. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Lahkin's list

18. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

19. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Kind of surprised that Nokweed made the list but for some reason some people worship him.

20. strebitel86 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Ramon Dekkers will smoke them all.