Greatest Muay Thai Fighters of All Time, as voted by Thai Legends

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
94883245_3347616145272492_4710869891467444224_o.jpg

This is still being updated, so this infographic will be out of date very quickly. Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu has been asking golden age legends she knows/trains with their opinions on the top 5 greatest fighters of all time.

As of this post, Samart has been on the most fighters lists, but Wichannoi has held the most number 1 rankings (4)

Full playlist:

Fighters asked in order (so far):
Karuhat
Kaensak
Namkabuan
Dieselnoi
Yodkhunpon
Chamuakpet Hapalang
Chatchai Sasakul
Pinshinchai
Sangtienno Sor. Rungroj
Lamnamoon Sor Sumalee
Samson Isaan
Hippy Singmanee

Last edited:
Yeah i noticed that about wichannoi. How highly rated he was by a lot of the fighters. Also i think he would of been old enough when he fought some of the fighters that rated him.

Western fans have been calling Apidej Sit Hrun a potential GOAT for as long as I've been following the sport, and here he doesn't even get a mention.

Western fans have been calling Apidej Sit Hrun a potential GOAT for as long as I've been following the sport, and here he doesn't even get a mention.
I don't personally feel that there is really enough information on his era (that's viewable in the west at least) to make an informed judgement on Apidej. I opined before that while his kicking power was fearsome, he didn't have the level of technique we'd see from fighters he'd later teach, like Yodsanklai - he would just launch into whatever strike he was throwing.

That being said - I do also think that there's going to be an obvious bias here. Every sports generation thinks that they're in the worst one and that the old days were so much better, I think MMA might be the only sport that doesn't think that because it's the only one that's so blatently untrue. Of course these fellas are going to vote for a lot of their peers.

I was actually a little surprised that Sagat hadn't come up - but I think Sagat might be a little bit of a meme in the West, because even though I think he's a formidable fighter - most things I see about him from the West are perpetuating the myth that he inspired the Street Fighter character.

Last edited:
And here i thought it was Buakaw, Ramon Dekkers, Jose Aldo and Jo Nattawut?

Now that you mention it can we really take this list seriously without a single vote for Smokin' Jo? I'm skeptical...

To be fair Saenchi is the name I hear most out here the west (west coast USA)

To be fair Saenchi is the name I hear most out here the west (west coast USA)

To be fair, there's quite a good argument to be made for Saenchai based on his achievements in his prime.

I don't personally feel that there is really enough information on his era (that's viewable in the west at least) to make an informed judgement on Apidej. I opined before that while his kicking power was fearsome, he didn't have the level of technique we'd see from fighters he'd later teach, like Yodsanklai - he would just launch into whatever strike he was throwing.

That being said - I do also think that there's going to be an obvious bias here. Every sports generation thinks that they're in the worst one and that the old days were so much better, I think MMA might be the only sport that doesn't think that because it's the only one that's so blatently untrue. Of course these fellas are going to vote for a lot of their peers.

I was actually a little surprised that Sagat hadn't come up - but I think Sagat might be a little bit of a meme in the West, because even though I think he's a formidable fighter - most things I see about him from the West are perpetuating the myth that he inspired the Street Fighter character.

Sagat? Really?

any list that doesnt have JWP on it is number one bullshit

Theyv all might have different criteria for greatest to be fair. Do they mean terms of skill level at their peak? Dominance? Accomplishments? Longevity? Best record?

Theyv all might have different criteria for greatest to be fair. Do they mean terms of skill level at their peak? Dominance? Accomplishments? Longevity? Best record?
Yeah, I think this thread laid out a decent case for Saenchai as the greatest. But I'm always in the camp of the greatest doesn't exist.

Good point. Most of the GOATS asked seem to have a bunch of subjective criteria, too. Like "this is a good friend of mine" or "this one I really like his style".

YOu will also notice that many of them will say "in no particular order". I also think that most of them have a strong "previous generation respect" bias, too.

Still a super interesting topic.

Only weights above 180 lbs(and im being generous) matter for men, we couldn't give 2 shits about toothpicks and they sure as hell have no place near the word goat

Mostly golden era fighters. Good to see Saenchai make the list

Only weights above 180 lbs(and im being generous) matter for men, we couldn't give 2 shits about toothpicks and they sure as hell have no place near the word goat

One of the dumbest things I've ever read

Back