Gray Maynard Could Be A Threat, But He's Packing Serious Glass

Well he beat Guida.. so idk why people are holding that against him.

And barely LW would survive the first round of Edgar II & III.

I still wanna see Bendo vs Maynard. Hope that happens, both are still top 5

By every standard of acceptable MMA Refereeing Edgar was finished seconds into Maynard/Edgar 2. Not only did Maynard give Edgar "the worst beating in Title Fight History, including 4 knockdowns, without a Referee Stoppage", but Edgar also turned his back on the fight and grabbed the Cage Fence with both hands while his own Corner was screaming to "stop the fight, stop the fight".
TS began with 5 lies. On the Sherdog forum thats like throwing out a piece of meat to a pack of starving dogs. lol

Yeah I know lol. Earlier ITT I said not many LWs would survive the onslaughts Edgar did

We haven't seen him out wrestle another top level wrestler (not many in Bellator) but he was able to manhandle Rick Hawn and take down Eddie Alvarez pretty consistently. His shots are more explosive than Maynard IMO as is his striking.

Interesting to note they are raining partners and good friends
You're a little "out of the loop". They did Train together, at XCoutures, for some time. However, each left there close to 2 years ago.
Michael Chandler is a great Wrestler, as is Gray.

You're a little "out of the loop". They did Train together, at XCoutures, for some time. However, each left there close to 2 years ago.

My mistake, I forgot that. I do know that Chandler said he'd be willing to train with gray following them leaving due to him valuing heir friendship

Guida did hurt Maynard in the 5th round with a headkick. he kinda did a little shuffle and called Guida in (probably bluffing) but Guida just stayed on the outside doing what he did that whole fight

I'm surprised that nobody seems to remember this. I mean the fight was pretty garbage so I guess that's why lol

You're flattering Guida, and he doesn't deserve it. Guida was called for "Timidity" in a Main Event Fight.
Clay didn't "hurt" Maynard at all. However, he did irreparable damage to himself.
Clay's eye looked like a pile of cow dung from one of Gray's strikes.

If this is a serious question it's a lot better then Maynard's. Also Chandler is a finisher with some killer instinct. Maynard has one finish in nine wins in the UFC and it was Joe Veres in his first win in 2007.
"a lot better than Maynard's" wrestling, really?
I've seen them wrestle many times. Chandler always held his own but Gray was the superior wrestler.
Maynard's KO (a real KO) is still the UFC LW Record for fastest KO.
Michael is awesome! However, you might compare their "strength of schedule" before heaping all your disdain on Maynard.

You're flattering Guida, and he doesn't deserve it. Guida was called for "Timidity" in a Main Event Fight.
Clay didn't "hurt" Maynard at all. However, he did irreparable damage to himself.
Clay's eye looked like a pile of cow dung from one of Gray's strikes.

No, I mean he legit hurt Gray during the 5th round. As in rocked him

but in typical Guida fashion, he didn't pick up on it and continued doing his side to side zig zagging.

It's not that he is chinny so much that his footwork is lacking and his striking defense is mediocre. He is a lot like a 155 Decision Dan. He hits hard, but if he isn't landing he leaves himself vulnerable to high quality counter punchers. He has started to get more confident in his stand up and is letting his wrestling fall behind and it is hurting him at the top of the division where he needs it most. I think he is a great grappler and brawler, but he needs to get back to his base that led to him getting that title shot in the first place.
Gray Maynard has fought 4 times in 4 years. Not nearly enough to maintain an edge in the most competitive UFC Division; and it showed against TJ Grant.
The entire experience (from walkout to the finish) was "awkward", as Maynard called it. TJ was fighting with the eye of the Tiger.
Gang, he's lost 2 fights, and only TJ has a winning record over Gray.
He needs to fight, sooner and often.

I am not sure what this thread is really about. Gray's chin is terrible? not really. but he has been stopped a few times

IMO - Gray is on the downside of this career. despite striking me as a guy who works hard on his conditioning, he seems to really slow down during fights (maybe weight cut? maybe inefficient technique). and I don't recall him actually showing great wrestling in a while. so he is increasingly a slow footed boxer with some power

but that has been good enough to have him near the top of his division. so that's not bad.

I don't see him regaining any of the dynamism he had 5 years ago. in fact, he strikes me as a guy who is about to start a steep decline

hope that I am wrong. dude has a lot of heart and has been in some good fights

Hmm, Maynard hiding that fine china? I'm on the fence with this one until something just a little more definitive happens. People love to cast glass accusations without merit, but this one may bear some digging.

No, I mean he legit hurt Gray during the 5th round. As in rocked him

but in typical Guida fashion, he didn't pick up on it and continued doing his side to side zig zagging.
No, Guida didn't hurt Gray. Clay did land a kick but you're reaching. It didn't faze Gray, at all.
You're putting a lot of faith in what a petulant Ken Florian says.

Dude, Gray did knock himself out slamming Emerson. Are you really denying this?

No, Guida didn't hurt Gray. Clay did land a kick but you're reaching. It didn't faze Gray, at all.
You're putting a lot of faith in what a petulant Ken Florian says.

If it didn't faze Gray, then why did he do a Frank Mir wobble dance?

I am not sure what this thread is really about. Gray's chin is terrible? not really. but he has been stopped a few times

IMO - Gray is on the downside of this career. despite striking me as a guy who works hard on his conditioning, he seems to really slow down during fights (maybe weight cut? maybe inefficient technique). and I don't recall him actually showing great wrestling in a while. so he is increasingly a slow footed boxer with some power

but that has been good enough to have him near the top of his division. so that's not bad.

I don't see him regaining any of the dynamism he had 5 years ago. in fact, he strikes me as a guy who is about to start a steep decline

hope that I am wrong. dude has a lot of heart and has been in some good fights
That's an understandable assessment.
It's difficult to make a definitive from the TJ fight, however, except that Grant is a very dangerous fighter. Especially for a ring rusted Maynard.
He chased Guida for 5 rounds and was strong at the end.
Maynard/Edgar 3 was an anomally because Gray had a two week, no sparring weight cutting Camp.
Maynard/Edgar 2, two Judges awarded Maynard R5.
We'll see in his next fight.

never let it be said that fans are dicks.

8 years of fighting. unanimous #2 for about 2 years, during which time he fought to a draw with the #1.

and as soon as he is probably on the downside of the career, when some new up-and-comers will probably start overtaking him, out come the so-called mma "fans" who want to make fun him.

nice work TS.

no, he will probably never fight for the belt again. he, and all fighters, still deserve your respect, not your passive aggressive bullshit.

but hey, continue on. whatever rocks your boat, kid.

This sums up my thoughts nicely.

I would just like to add that Sherdog should not allow white belts to make threads.

If it didn't faze Gray, then why did he do a Frank Mir wobble dance?
For some reason you want me to see something that didn't occur. If you choose to believe that, for whatever reason, than Guida Mirred Gray Maynard. You feel better now.

For some reason you want me to see something that didn't occur. If you choose to believe that, for whatever reason, than Guida Mirred Gray Maynard. You feel better now.

I can't tell if you're trolling or really dumb. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're just trolling.

But for the hell of it, someone post the headkick Gif please

His chin is fine, this is ridiculous.

Back