Gray Maynard Could Be A Threat, But He's Packing Serious Glass

Alcantara**

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's why:

1. Holds the distinction of being the ONLY fighter Frankie Edgar has ever knocked out cold.

2. Dropped by featherfisted Nate Diaz.

3. Knocked himself out...from a takedown.

4. Got stopped in under a minute in his last bout.

5. I don't know if I'm imagining this but I also vividly recall Guida hurting him as well.

As we all know punch resistance is vital in this sport. What do you think of Maynard's?

I think he would never be a threat even with a iron chin

It's ashame really. Maynard, on paper, should be a terrible matchup for prett much every single fighter in the division, but his chin and inability to deal with even basic footwork (ie. Guida and Edgar fights) prevent him being champ.

Chandler is in all honesty a better Gray Maynard, in essentially every facet (especially chin)

Well he beat Guida.. so idk why people are holding that against him.

And barely LW would survive the first round of Edgar II & III.

I still wanna see Bendo vs Maynard. Hope that happens, both are still top 5

I think his fight IQ ntakes precedence over his chin as his major weakness

Maynard should pose a pretty significant threat if he would change his stance a bit that would decrease the chance of getting caught. With that said, he has a lot of work today

It's ashame really. Maynard, on paper, should be a terrible matchup for prett much every single fighter in the division, but his chin and inability to deal with even basic footwork (ie. Guida and Edgar fights) prevent him being champ.

Chandler is in all honesty a better Gray Maynard, in essentially every facet (especially chin)

I haven't seen too much of Chandler, how's his wrestling?

Yet another fighter that would be good if he had a chin. Getting put out cold by Frankie Edgar is pretty embarrassing.

never let it be said that fans are dicks.

8 years of fighting. unanimous #2 for about 2 years, during which time he fought to a draw with the #1.

and as soon as he is probably on the downside of the career, when some new up-and-comers will probably start overtaking him, out come the so-called mma "fans" who want to make fun him.

nice work TS.

no, he will probably never fight for the belt again. he, and all fighters, still deserve your respect, not your passive aggressive bullshit.

but hey, continue on. whatever rocks your boat, kid.

Hes definitely a contender just not championship material

never let it be said that fans are dicks.

8 years of fighting. unanimous #2 for about 2 years, during which time he fought to a draw with the #1.

and as soon as he is probably on the downside of the career, when some new up-and-comers will probably start overtaking him, out come the so-called mma "fans" who want to make fun him.

nice work TS.

Haha what?

Is this satire?

I hope so, for the sake of your masculinity.

'Making fun'. lol

I'm curious if there are any fighters that have been knocked out a couple times that Sherdog doesn't consider to have a glass chin.

Agreed with the guy that said Bendo Maynard makes sense.

I'm as big a Frankie Edgar fan as you'll find, but he didn't knock Gray "out cold."

Maynard was not out cold when he fought Frankie. He was legitimately stopped, but not out cold.

Since I never really got to see Maynard during his "peak" I'm unsure what he looked like. I did see his fights with Frankie, though. But I've always felt that he had a weak chin. If Frankie Edgar knocks you out then yea, your shit is glass. I have the utmost respect for all fighters, but it's our job as fans to discuss. His last loss really set him back. He's going to need a few solid wins to get back into the conversation.

Back