Grappling Problem...READ PLZ!!!

well whoopty freakin doo for you, still doesn't equate the skills and mentality you can learn from a high school wrestling team.

has your idol done wrestling? did any gracie? i don't think you need wrestling but, since you are a blue belt in bjj, a few wrestling friends and a tito ortiz takedown training video will be enough, I've wrestled wrestlers and it's not fun because i'm comfortable on my back.

hayliks said:
well whoopty freakin doo for you, still doesn't equate the skills and mentality you can learn from a high school wrestling team.

lol doesnt matter to me, i just need to learn the techniques....BOOYAH

i thought hayliks died and left the grappling forum for a long time... why are you back?

wrestling techniques aren't anything like bjj, you can know what the motions are, but without live practicing with many different opponents you will NEVER be proficient at it, learn to pull guard well

Hmmm I am a gaurd puller and have a proficient guard game...hence my screen name.

As fas as not being proficient at wrestling techniques and motions...look at Roger Gracie, Kyra Gracie :) , Leo Viera, and Renzo Gracie, who all NEVER wrestled in school or high school, but learned wrestling on the side and before ADCC. And were able to put those guys on their backs without wrestling in high school...this IMO proves i dont NEED high school wrestling to improve my grappling, and that i can learn it on the side, since I WILL have LOTS of time (literally) to do BJJ, Judo and Wrestling after I graduate..

GuardGame said:
Hmmm I am a gaurd puller and have a proficient guard game...hence my screen name.

As fas as not being proficient at wrestling techniques and motions...look at Roger Gracie, Kyra Gracie :) , Leo Viera, and Renzo Gracie, who all NEVER wrestled in school or high school, but learned wrestling on the side and before ADCC. And were able to put those guys on their backs without wrestling in high school...this IMO proves i dont NEED high school wrestling to improve my grappling, and that i can learn it on the side, since I WILL have LOTS of time (literally) to do BJJ, Judo and Wrestling after I graduate..

... but you're not leo viera, renzo gracie, or roger or kyra gracie... what worked for them may not work for you... not dogging on you or anything... but it may not ring true for you as well.

flyingknee16 said:
... but you're not leo viera, renzo gracie, or roger or kyra gracie... what worked for them may not work for you... not dogging on you or anything... but it may not ring true for you as well.
Took the words out of my mouth. Take the 3 months off and do the wrestling. You're madd young, if you really wanted to excell your game you'd take the time off for wrestling. Where you will be a much more complete grappler.

^^^Just using them as examples is all.... All im sayin is i can take BJJ and Judo now, and when i turn 21, I can wrestle at the Adult wrestling class at the high school or i can just train at the H.S. practice like my buddies do, the coaches there are really cool and have no problem with it. Besides, after 5 years of Judo and BJJ, I'll have some good takedowns, and Judo can be easily transitioned to no-gi as well..

you ask for suggestions with an idea with exactly what you wanted to do...
what's the point of this thread? searching for affirmation on what you want to do? you aren't open to any other way despite how many people are telling you one thing

hayliks said:
you ask for suggestions with an idea with exactly what you wanted to do...
what's the point of this thread? searching for affirmation on what you want to do? you aren't open to any other way despite how many people are telling you one thing

Hayliks I don't know what the hell is up your ass, but if your attitude is a result of this "wrestling mentality", than I wouldn't wrestle (now im going to talk about not doing drugs and not talking to strangers, went a little after school special on you without realizing it) He wants to make sure that he isnt doing anything wrong or stupid, he wants to be reaffirmed (I think right word?). It sucks your father doesn't understand your dreams and goals. Do judo if you can, and make sure that you also use the judo throws without the gi. While it can be done fairly easily in your head, (sleeve grab = wrist control, lower collar grab = underhook, high collar grab = head tie up) Karo Parysian has some great instructionals about no gi judo. It's for mma, but it is great for just no gi grappling.

I'm 18, I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. If your goals are just gi and no-gi grappling, then do things that will help your game out. A big suggestion, yoga. I am starting to do it through books, to get more flexible than I am, and to help with controling my body weight. At 205-220 (I bounce around) I'm not exactly pull up and hand stand push up master, these are things I really want to work. So some things I can suggest are working on your flexibility, your strength (body weight stuff too, learn to control your body in every way, till you can do one handed handstand pushups and climb up ropes upside down :wink: ) , and remember, when or if you start to burn out, take a few days off, this is huge, make yourself want to train. Hope this helps, sorry if I didn't answer your question, its 2:29 am where I am.

And lastly...

Marcelo Garcia > All (I don't care Jacare beat him in ADCC 05, Jacare sits back too much, Garcia is exciting, attack attack attack!)

GuardGame said:
As fas as not being proficient at wrestling techniques and motions...look at Roger Gracie, Kyra Gracie :) , Leo Viera, and Renzo Gracie, who all NEVER wrestled in school or high school, but learned wrestling on the side and before ADCC.

But these guys, because of their status in the grappling and MMA communities have access to world class wrestlers to train them. You won't have those same opportunities. I agree with Hayliks. You come here asking for advice, but when 75% or more say to do the HS wrestling, you say you won't do it. Grasshopper, you might not see the value in it now, but listen to all us old guys who regret not wrestling in HS. We regret it for a reason.

why am i pissed? i'm always pissed but that's besides the point. this kid is very ambitious in his goals and obviously wants to become nationally competitive, but he's too damn stubborn in the head to actually do what's best for him. more than 75% of the responses agree with what i had to say, that he'll regret it, and an adult wrestling class just won't do him justice. it's 3 months out of the year, he can hang up his gi for 3 months, it's not like he'd be hurtin his bjj game, he'll only be furthering his development of it, opening his eyes to something new, new tools, as well as a strong takedown game.

honestly if you watch a lot of grappling vids (not just the very TOP TOP guys), but there are DOZENS of matches won by the person who scored the first takedown. judo will still be there to train when wrestling is over and so will bjj. i was just trying to help this kid out, but he made the post with already having decided to say fuckall to wrestling and just do judo and bjj. so what's his fucking point?

hayliks said:
why am i pissed? i'm always pissed but that's besides the point. this kid is very ambitious in his goals and obviously wants to become nationally competitive, but he's too damn stubborn in the head to actually do what's best for him. more than 75% of the responses agree with what i had to say, that he'll regret it, and an adult wrestling class just won't do him justice. it's 3 months out of the year, he can hang up his gi for 3 months, it's not like he'd be hurtin his bjj game, he'll only be furthering his development of it, opening his eyes to something new, new tools, as well as a strong takedown game.

honestly if you watch a lot of grappling vids (not just the very TOP TOP guys), but there are DOZENS of matches won by the person who scored the first takedown. judo will still be there to train when wrestling is over and so will bjj. i was just trying to help this kid out, but he made the post with already having decided to say fuckall to wrestling and just do judo and bjj. so what's his fucking point?

He wants to be reassured, he wants to be told everything will be ok. He asks it as a question, but what he really is asking is "Can I do it if I do this?" Hes not looking for suggestions, he just wants a whole bunch of posts saying "Good idea, do that." Well, thats the way I do in anyway, well...did.

he asks what he should do, we tell him, and he says fuckall to the suggestions

hayliks said:
he asks what he should do, we tell him, and he says fuckall to the suggestions

yeah, thats what im talking about. He asks one thing, and wants another. He asks for suggestions, when what he wants is someone to say "You can't do better than what you are doing now." I mean he is very young, so am I. Youth is wasted on the young, we are a stubborn ad stupid people, wanting things we don't need, and we think we know everything there is about the world, yet we don't get the ideas of taxes or insurence.

It's like speaking woman, I heard a comedian say when a woman says, "I'm fine." It really means, "I'm really pissed off, and you have to guess why."

The young speak in a way to get what they want, without looking stupid, but Hayliks, you are smart and wise, seeing through his disguise. He only posts not to get feedback, but to get someone to pat him on the back and say, "It's ok." That is the reason to his post, and this thread.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
He wants to be reassured, he wants to be told everything will be ok. He asks it as a question, but what he really is asking is "Can I do it if I do this?" Hes not looking for suggestions, he just wants a whole bunch of posts saying "Good idea, do that." Well, thats the way I do in anyway, well...did.
Dr. Phil? Although Hayliks sounds like a woman on her period, he's right. Why make a thread if you are just gonna disagree with what everyone says.

"Hey guys should I pick this red outfit or the blue one?"

"Pick Blue"

"No, I won't."

WTF?

I ahve done all three in the past. Partly it depends on where you live and what is available. If this is your only chance to do wrestling, you might want to think about that fact, because judo and BJJ will be available all your life.

If you are a BJJ guy at 16, and a blue belt, I would definitly recomend cross training in judo for your takedowns, probably more so than wrestling. But it also depends on what sort of school it is. If it is a low quality school, wrestling might be better. You will see lots of action with wrestling, lots of matches, lots of high intensity training, all that. Good judo schools will too, but there are poor ones that do lots of repetitious drilling and little live action randori.

Also consider - possible the most important part - that wrestling is only int he winter. Do wrestling in the winter, sacrificing the other trainings for those 2 or 3 months out of the year, and then the rest of the year divide it between BJJ and judo. This is what I would recomend. Wrestling is high intensity, has takedowns, good positioning, social interaction with guys at school, lots of competition, strength and conditioning, and is only 2-3 months out fo the year. So I say do the wrestling while it lasts and then go back to BJJ/Judo. Although you say no way you will stop BJJ for any amount of time period, I still say take a break from it for wrestling, or maybe go just once a week or something like that.

BJJ won't help your wrestling but judo will. I knew a D1 wrestler who came from a Judo background (and greco too). He was very good and his wrestling looked like a wierd mix of greco, freestyle and judo. I saw him hit some judo throws in a D1 wrestling tournament and it was sick.

Soid said:
Dr. Phil? Although Hayliks sounds like a woman on her period, he's right. Why make a thread if you are just gonna disagree with what everyone says.

"Hey guys should I pick this red outfit or the blue one?"

"Pick Blue"

"No, I won't."

WTF?

I keep trying to explain it to everyone. He made this thread so he can get a pat on the head and a "good job". Youth creates crazy ideas, for example, right now I'm thinking that if I play enough street fighter with Ryu, I will get his undying warrior spirit, because he is always on my mind. This won't happen, but because I am young I think it is true, which I do. Basically, you can say something that will help him, like HS wrestling (I wrestled one year, didn't like it, collegite is total shit, I hate all the rules. Greco-Roman > All wrestling) which he won't do apparently, or you can say good job, and let this thread die.

I miss the good old days when you could beat up a man and their woman would like you, when women liked real men, not guys like Johnny Depp. How does Depp get food when all the power is out? How does he kill a bear with his hands for food and fur? How does he take care of a sick woman? Real men kill bears with staredowns, and warcry so loudly, that the disease flees the womans body in terror. Pardon my rant.

Back